Google Chrome Getting Rid of Flash?

Musical_Shoyru

Hey all, so I noticed an announcement on google a few days back that they plan on getting rid of flash player. Which REALLY sucks cause Google Chrome is the only thing I use for Neopets, I absolutely hate how slow Firefox is and Internet Explorer.... lets not event go there.

On top of that, my page that I have set up for the webbie on my guild don't show up properly on Firefox or Internet explorer, the anchored stuff just doesn't work right.

So what does this mean for Neopets then? Will you not be able to play it with flash? (Which I'm assuming is the case.)

Here's another (short) thread about it. Basically, Neopets has been working on making stuff HTML5 for a while now, so let's hope they're getting there. And I think Flash shutting down has also been in the cards for quite some time; this is from the Wikipedia page about Flash:

Although Flash was previously a dominant platform for online multimedia content, it is slowly being abandoned as Adobe favors a transition to HTML5. Flash Player has been deprecated and has an official end-of-life at the end of 2020.

So I think it's not just Chrome that will be Flash-less.

(And I'm not sure why Firefox is slower for you than Chrome; I don't think it should be. I use both Firefox and Chrome (at home and at work) and have never noticed a difference in speed between the two. ?  Things not working properly on IE is... expected, but if something works in Chrome, it usually also works in Firefox. Not sure why the page you made doesn't work in Firefox.)

(This is kind of off topic, but what exactly isn't working for you in Firefox? Because I currently have the webbie for your guild open in both Chrome and Firefox, but I haven't been able to spot any differences yet.)

Here is the official post from Adobe. Please note the date:

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Because of that, most of the major browser developers have been depreciating Flash, to encourage web sites to convert to HTML5, from Flash. Here is Chrome's "Flash Roadmap":

https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap

And Firefox's:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap

Since then, many Neopians have been concerned about Neopets and its future. Scrappy has assured us, that Neopets will continue. They are aware and have been in the process of converting the site to HTML5 standards. You may have noticed that the game, AAA's Revenge, does not use Flash, and that some of the maps have been converted to HTML5 - Meridell, Brightvale, The Lost Desert, and Sakhmet. The last "plot" didn't involve Flash, either. And, Trudy's Surprise is not Flash. However, they have mentioned that it will take them some time to get everything converted over. And, there is a mobile app (not game app, like Legends & Letters and Ghoul Catchers) in the works. Those who were able to go to San Diego Comic Con 2019, I believe, were given a glimpse of it, and may be asked to be "beta" testers. So, again, JS is aware and been slowly trying to convert things to HTML5. It will take them time, especially with all of the games, but I believe Neopets will be with us, for many more years to come.

Here are several Neopian Times Editorials with questions/concerns/updates about Flash:

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=868

Hello TNT! I'm Rascal, and this is just a quick message to say how much I appreciate all the work you do for us Neopians. There's been a lot of talk about the loss of Flash and what it will mean for the site, and I am so glad you're doing all you can to keep it up and running in HTML5. Neopets has gotten me through some of the hardest times in my real life and I owe the team and the community a lot! Keep up all your hard work, don't let the haters get you down, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart that we will still have Neopia to love and enjoy for many more years to come! Hugs and love, Rascal.~~kionaaddict88
This is so sweet! Thanks for the kind words and positivity it means a lot!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=862

Heya TNT. I was really happy to read about the HTML5 updates, but do you also have anything planned in regards to site security, like implementing HTTPS? Thanks!~~frederick_lindo
Site security such as implementing HTTPS is a high priority for us, and you can expect to see these changes gradually alongside other feature updates we release. We are already in the process of doing this, but the flash content on many pages is preventing us from doing a site-wide update.

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=861

Special serious announcement from Scrappidoodledandy!

Hey Neopians!

Scrappy here to give you a little update on what’s going on here in Neopia. There’s a lot of rumors and speculations going around, so I want to be very upfront with you guys on what our plans are at the moment for moving our lovely home to mobile.

As we are all aware, all this flash has got to go. Largest part of that being the customization that allows us to make our Neopets look all spiffy. We’re currently working on moving all the art over and are hoping to get a beta version out to you guys early this summer. Once that is up and running you will be able to customize your lovely pets on any browser at any time!

Another topic of discussion here is all our games. The plan right now is to move these over in batches, starting with about 10 games and moving more from there. We want to be able to bring over all of them with time but starting small will be quicker and let us take your guys feedback moving forward!

Of course, there has been other parts moving as I’m sure you all have noticed, such as the maps and other events using flash. We are hoping to get all these converted as soon as we can, focusing around the maps first and foremost then moving onto the other pieces from there.

I am also aware there has been many mentions of an app and while that is not out of the picture, we have decided to focus on moving away from flash and make that our top priority first. Along with moving away from flash, we are making a mobile friendly browser version to improve user experience when on a mobile device. This is another area we will want to release test versions as soon as we can and get all your feedback to improve moving forward.

Those are most of the updates for right now! I wanted to be very upfront with you guys here because since this is all to improve your experience, we want to make sure we can get your feedback and let that guide us each step of the way! I will be setting up a time soon to jump on the boards, so we can have a more open discussion about this as well but wanted to start with an update here!

As always, stay cool Neopians!

-Scrappy

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=851

Hello neopetsteam, I can't play any of the games neither can I visit some of the sites. If I go off site i.e. The daily neopet. I can get the freebies but still can't play games. Do I need a special program I have Flash. Any help will be appreciated. I have been playing neopets for 10 years ... on and off so please help.~~snowfire5050
My recommendation is to first make sure your flash is up to date. Second a lot of browsers are out to get us flash sites (cough cough) so essentially now per page you have to specifically say that you want to allow flash. On Chrome to the left of the site address there is a small little i and if you click it just click to allow flash. In other browsers just be sure to go into your settings and allow flash.

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=830

Given that Adobe is discontinuing the flash plug-in, what is going to happen to all of the neopets features that run on the program?~~theeviltwinofdoom
As mentioned, we are looking into many solutions here. We understand the issues with flash and will find the best way to make sure no part of our lovely community here gets lost!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=813

How often does TNT (i.e. you) release a new Flash game? ~jet5baby6_26_6_8_4_3
I think our time of releasing Flash games are over, any game that we release now will be HTML5 and mobile friendly!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=805

Hi, Scrappy! ^^ I was just wondering, what's gonna happen to Flash games? Like, will you have to get rid of them, or will you keep them as they are, or will something be done to make them work without Flash? It would just be so sad if all of these games were gone, especially Faerie Caves II: Fyora's Quest. That game was the reason I joined Neopets 12 years ago, so it has sentimental value to me. If you keep them as they are, what's gonna happen in 2020 when Adobe stops supporting Flash? ~melody5697
Wow, that would be depressing to get rid of them! All these games definitely have senitmental value to a lot of Neopians and we would never want to lose them! We are definitely considering the options but no fear, the games won't be going anywhere! It's more of a question of "whats the best course of action" rather than "should we keep them or not." So I wouldn't worry at all! In fact, we are planning on releasing the first set of mobile-friendly (aka not flash) version of our games in the upcoming months!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=793

Hello! A while back in an editorial, there was a mention of moving away from Flash and going to HTML5? I was wondering whether that was still in the works, a lot of users no longer have Flash supported on their devices and therefore cant access a lot of games or even customization! It makes us sad. ~swimvixx
It makes me sad too. It is MOST DEFINITELY still in the works!!! It's a big project so it won't happen overnight but it WILL happen!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=791

FLASH ANNOUNCEMENT:
Okay saying I got an overwhelming amount of comments about the Flash update is an understatement. SO, understand I say this is the nicest possible way, but guys...CHILL! It's all good in the Neopian hood! That's all I'm gonna say!

With love,
Scrappy

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=761

Last week you mentioned that the site would be updated from Flash to HTML5. What does that mean for the hundreds of Flash games on the site? What about avatars that you gain from playing these games? ~ khiton
So, like I've mentioned, it's a long process so all I can tell you right now is the initial thinking - which is that games will be converted over to HTML5, so they'll still be playable and give avatars and all that jazz!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=760

The customisation and games for Neopets always uses flashplayer and my closet never works to be able to update my pets clothing. But flashplayer is kinda outdated technology. Do you think Neopets will ever upgrade to something better? ~ silly_mistake
That's the plan! Eventually, it'll all be HTML5, but balancing resources between regular site content, developing events both new and recurring, and fixing issues that pop up is tough, so it's a slow process. Hang tight - some day flash on Neopets will be a thing of the past!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=752

Hey, TNT! A number of people seem to have gotten an avatar for the new game, AAA's Revenge, when they reach a score of 1,000 points or more... but some people seem to still be getting the error message pop up when sending their scores. Is 1,000 points the intended score needed for the avatar or are things still being worked on? Please remove my username. Thank you! ~ zanzibar37
1,000 is indeed the intended score, good luck y'all! We're working out all issues with any avatar or score granting, so please just be patient! Moving things to HTML5 is a learning process for us still, as it's a different process than Flash and requires some tweaking on our end, but just keep in mind, it's all for the future of Neopets!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=739

For years my main platform for playing Neopets is on my iPhone. Unfortunately, it means that I miss out on doing many things. No flash games (Only HTML like Neggsweeper), no customization, and no map just to name a few. It would be nice if I didn't need to get on a computer just so I could participate in time sensitive activities such as the Altador Cup or any plots. So, any news on a mobile version of the site? ~ liktra
We've started working on trying some things in HTML5, which is the first step in a mobile-friendly Neopets. It's definitely something we know users want and are working to make happen!

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=708

Hello there TNT and CQ. I was wondering, I know you guys are getting caught up on things, but have you guys had any discussions on upgrading the site, even backdoor ends to up-to-date and/or switching from Flash to HTML5? ~ neoshiddenhero
Hey! So we have had a few discussions on this (and by "we" I mean technical people who know enough to debate the different options, while I sat there pretending like I understand programming paid very close attention). You shouldn't expect to wake up tomorrow to a full HTML5 site, but it is definitely something we've got on our minds.

In my experience, Firefox is actually faster than Chrome, not slower. Make sure you have the latest update installed on Firefox, cause I find it to be very fast.

1 hour ago, Robin Hood said:

In my experience, Firefox is actually faster than Chrome, not slower. Make sure you have the latest update installed on Firefox, cause I find it to be very fast.

my Firefox kept crashing until I gave up and removed it 

"Since then, many Neopians have been concerned about Neopets and its future. "

So, same old times in Neopia, then?  Where would we be without yet another rumour about the site being shut down, eh?

That said, I hope they get on it quickly.  It seems like not much progress has been made.  One game, plus a few maps out of all there is on the site?

3 hours ago, GillyTook said:

That said, I hope they get on it quickly.  It seems like not much progress has been made.  One game, plus a few maps out of all there is on the site?

There might've been a lot of progress behind the scenes. It could be that they've got a lot of stuff in development/testing that might be pretty far along, but isn't quite ready to go on the actual site yet. (This could very well be wishful thinking, obviously, but all I'm trying to say is that we can't really know how much they've done until they publish it to the site.)

I guess I'm not so much worried about Neopets shutting down as I believe it's just something that has that charm that people keep coming back to.

I'll have to check into it again @Nielo I remember when I was editing the pages it was messing up on me before when I would click on anchored links within the page and it not showing up properly.

I guess I'm just a old fashioned person, sad to see flash go xD LOL 

From my personal experience Firefox has always crashed on me, loaded slower, plus I've used Chrome for years, all my addons and saved pages and everything are in here. I've just not had a lot of good experience with Firefox. It IS updated and at it's latest version, but to me has still run slower than Chrome ever has. (IE we all know is the paste eater of the family so I won't go there! xD lol)

11 hours ago, Musical_Shoyru said:

(IE we all know is the paste eater of the family so I won't go there! xD lol)

?

Poor IE. (not really. Sorry, not sorry and all that)

As things hit crunch time I'm getting nervous about this stuff now though. ?

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

?

Poor IE. (not really. Sorry, not sorry and all that)

As things hit crunch time I'm getting nervous about this stuff now though. ?

Yeah it can be a tad bit nerve racking. I'm sure it'll be fine as far as Neo goes, just wonder what all is going to go to HTML5 and when before all the browsers decide to do this O.o