Altador Cup XIV Begins!

hrtbrk

Hahaha, no, he wasn't saying that last year. ?

This is the only quote the Book of Ages has for him, so I suppose this must be what he's said previous years.

Power comes in response to a need, not a desire. You have to create that need.

@jellysundae That's also the quote that's shown when you actually pick him for your team*, but the quotes that show up for the team you picked always seem to be different from the quotes that are shown on their 'profile'.

* I didn't end up choosing him, but I did want to see what his quote looked like:

AC-XIV-Staff-tournament-Kakarot-when-act

I need to check the options out. I suspect I'll pick much the same as last year. That Kakarot fella's not much good, is he? Or am I mixing him up with someone else... I know a couple of the guys were pretty hopeless. Ah, Ppod or whatever his name is isn't playing this year... GOOOD.

A-ha, here's last year's. http://www.jellyneo.net/?go=altadorcup13&id=staff_tournament

And we have a new guy in the forwards! Do I give him a try... I think so because choices from the forwards is getting a bit slim pickings here. ?

So these are my choices for the first round.

image.png.db69275b29ef9ad32cc609fcced76a40.png

• 4 weeks later...

You guys seen?

Something is being decided upon about the downtime. :guiltysmiley:

image.png.7bc50f3e4334a3457e580a05559869fb.png

I feel more trepidation about this than anything else, lol.

Hopefully they give us extra shop points or an extra day to play games. I missed out on playing some because of the downtime.

I... don't wanna have to play more, lol. I'm not at all sure what would be a fair thing to do. Some people, like myself - maybe actually most European players? -  weren't that badly effected by the downtime, it was definitely people in the US time-zones who suffered most.

But the only thing that can be done in situations like this is give everyone the same things, isn't it?

I think if you let people play again to make up rank then there's just going to be more complaining from the people who still don't hit the targets they want. The entitlement gets too strong. Giving stuff seems safer. ?

3 minutes ago, Angeló said:

I don't see how giving more time to play will help any , given that the site still goes down for a few hours each day

Yeah exactly, especially as everyone frantically starting playing again would be bound to create some X_X all of its own, lol.

An ironic avatar would be cool though.

29 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I... don't wanna have to play more, lol. I'm not at all sure what would be a fair thing to do. Some people, like myself - maybe actually most European players? -  weren't that badly effected by the downtime, it was definitely people in the US time-zones who suffered most.

But the only thing that can be done in situations like this is give everyone the same things, isn't it?

I think if you let people play again to make up rank then there's just going to be more complaining from the people who still don't hit the targets they want. The entitlement gets too strong. Giving stuff seems safer. ?

Nobody would be forcing you to play more anyway. It would, however, be a nice thing for the people that want to get closer to the rank that couldn't because the bozos at JS can't run an operational website.

How about they bump up everyone's shop points based on what rank they reached? No one has to play any games, everyone gets benefited.

24 minutes ago, Angeló said:

I don't see how giving more time to play will help any , given that the site still goes down for a few hours each day

Well it's not like the website goes down for the entire day, but I see your point. They need to get their act together and do whatever is necessary to get it working properly.

All this downtime is getting ridiculous and it's really off-putting for me and many others.

2 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

How about they bump up everyone's shop points based on what rank they reached? No one has to play any games, everyone gets benefited.

I agree with this bc I am having such a hard time just posting FC Bets these past couple of days.  bori_writing.gif

3 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

Giving stuff seems safer. ?

YES! Give me stuff is easier -makes them feel better boxday_sharing.gif and makes ME feel better!   kacheek_hug_plushie.gif

3 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Well it's not like the website goes down for the entire day, but I see your point. They need to get their act together and do whatever is necessary to get it working properly.

All this downtime is getting ridiculous and it's really off-putting for me and many others.

I like the idea of bumping up the shop points based on the rank people reached (because if they'd give extra play time, I'd probably try to play more, even though I don't really want to play more. It just feels like I should, because the opportunity is there).

A few hours of downtime is all that it takes for someone not to be able to play Neo at all. As @jellysundae pointed out, a lof us Europeans weren't really affected by the downtime during the AC, as the worst downtime happened during the night for us. But Neo being down for a few hours could definitely prevent me from playing at all, as I usually only have some time to play in between having dinner and going to bed.

I'm pretty sure no one likes the downtime, including TNT/JS/whatever the company's called that owns Neo now. They're not that good at communicating, but I'm sure they're working on it - a site that keeps going down is code red for any IT company; I can only imagine the stress levels at the Neopets office right now. ?

I'm just REALLY glad it's not up to me to come up with a solution. It's stressing me out just thinking about this (which is pretty ridic behaviour from my brain and it needs to cease and desist!) I don't envy TNT one bit with their task here. ?

Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the Neopets staff. I'm just a bit frustrated right now. It'll pass.

And a few hours can absolutely affect being able to play at all. I agree with you there, @Nielo.

Hopefully whatever they go with, the majority of the community will be happy. We just have to wait and see.

I hope they strive more in the future to communicate with the player base. There's potential here, and I hope they realize how to use it.

27 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

I hope they strive more in the future to communicate with the player base. There's potential here, and I hope they realize how to use it.

This is always the problem, isn't it. I have realised though that there's no easy means for them to communicate. Look at the mess with CC, so many people didn't know about the quick discard method because they didn't tell us about it other than creating a thread on Board 7. They use the boards because it's their only real option.

There should be means for some kind of global announcement; some lightbox/pop-up set up, or a banner across the top of every page, even if it's just linking to a board thread... something that people have to dismiss to get it to go away, so they can't possibly miss it and say they didn't know. ?

Here's what today's news (well, actually tomorrow's, as Neopets always releases news a day early) has to say:

4th July - Flotsam Day

• Attention Altador Cup players! We understand the downtime of our site has affected the tournament and so July 6th and 7th will be practice days. You can submit scores and improve your ranks while the brackets standings will remain the same. Prize shops will also be open soon!

I, personally, think it is fair, and will definitely be playing. My goal was to make All-Star, and would have made it, if it wasn't for the downtime.

19 hours ago, jellysundae said:

This is always the problem, isn't it. I have realised though that there's no easy means for them to communicate. Look at the mess with CC, so many people didn't know about the quick discard method because they didn't tell us about it other than creating a thread on Board 7. They use the boards because it's their only real option.

There should be means for some kind of global announcement; some lightbox/pop-up set up, or a banner across the top of every page, even if it's just linking to a board thread... something that people have to dismiss to get it to go away, so they can't possibly miss it and say they didn't know. ?

I think communication (or rather, a lack thereof) is definitely Neo's biggest problem. I personally mind mistakes (from anyone) a lot less, if there's clear communication about it.
Those options all sound great, but I feel like the Neopets code might not be up for such advanced technological tricks. XD (Just look at how basic the forums are - you can't even edit your own posts.) Then again, they did manage Trudy's Surprise (although we all know that has its glitches as well), so a pop-up that shows up for everyone is within their capabilities...

16 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

I, personally, think it is fair, and will definitely be playing. My goal was to make All-Star, and would have made it, if it wasn't for the downtime.

I totally get this option, because people like you, who only just missed their goal rank because of the downtime, definitely deserve the opportunity to make up for lost time! (I just personally will be torn between wanting to maybe rank up a little (the downside of not setting a goal rank at the start, but seeing where you end up based on where you are a few days before the end up of the cup, and only setting a goal rank then), and not wanting to play at all, and will be feeling frustrated all weekend, regardless of which option I choose. ?)

*Edit:

If Neo's current functioning is any indication of how it'll be this weekend, things are only going to get worse ?:

Neopets-working-fiiiiiiiiine-04-07-19.pn