My cat has liver cancer

Naamah D.

That's terrible news Nammah! My heart hurts for you! I hope surgery may be an option to resect part of the liver or that they can at least do something for your cat to prolong his life. That is as long as his quality of life is still good.

I haven't opened up about this publicly on the forums yet. I lost my 12-year-old pup 3 weeks ago. She has been battling Cushing's Disease and Adrenal Cancer that spread throughout her body. Surgically it was too risky to remove even part of the tumour considering her age and it's location. It was intertwined around a major blood vessel in her body. We were absolutely devasted when we got the news that she had maybe 14 months to live. Our only option was to keep up with her Cushings medication and control her disease as much as possible. We knew her time was coming but it was still devastating when we lost her. She had such a good life, up until after she got sick when her health started to deteriorate more and more.

I wish you and your family all the best as you work through this situation. It's definitely not something to take lightly and I'd be scared too.

I spent months constantly worrying about my pup.

I don't want to hijack your topic so if anyone wants to comment on my situation, please do so through a PM and respect that this is Nammah's thread. I only wanted to share that I know what this position feels like.

@Naamah I am so sorry to hear about that. My cat died a few years ago from kidney cancer. I remember being very frustrated because the vet told us that if we had had  a dog they could've done a chemo treatment, but cats can't handle it. Are they able to remove the infected part of the liver as @Mouseykins mentioned? I remember hearing that you can take almost 80% of a human liver out and it can regrow itself. I don't know if cat livers are the same. 

Your cat is 11 years old. I am sure that you have spent a lot of great times with it. I hope that you guys can find a treatment to help it out so that you can spend several more years together.

@Naamah I am so sorry this is such horrific news. 

Is the next step determining what kind of tumor he has? They are really able to do a lot with surgery and Radiotherapy.

Even Chemotherapy for both humans and animals has improved a lot in recent years. It's become a lot less aggressive to the body with less side effects.

All the best for you and your cat and your family  

I am so sorry to hear your news. Like the other posters I understand all too well what this type of situation feels like personally. It feels so unfair that our cherished pets (family members really!) have such shorter lifespans than we do. I sincerely hope that there are treatment options that can maintain your kitty's quality of life. I will be thinking of you!!!

I've never had much in the way of pets; a pair of budgies when I was at school, and a couple of dwarf hamsters a few years back. Oh and I kept tropical fish for about 10 years. But I never had a pet I could cuddle.  None I could truly interact with, and that was going to be a companion and friend for years. I regret this a lot, but I've also avoided the really painful times like this. So unlike other people I don't know what it feels like when a pet you've grown up with becomes ill, but if I take the pain I felt when one of my hammies got sick and I had to have him put to sleep, and times that by a decade of happy memories, I guess I'd be close to knowing how you must be feeling right now. ?

Awe ? Thats very sad to hear. My cat also went through something similar. He had renal failure and we did our best to treat him. He was 21 years old when he passed. I had him for most of my life at that point. After getting sick I spent every second with him and also took lots of pictures towards the end. Please take lots of pictures to remember your furry friend by! I still look at them from time to time and its been 4 years. 

(((hug))) We lost our beloved Ripley to cancer four years ago, and she is still missed. I was afraid of the grief, so I mourned some ahead of time--put on songs that make me cry, etc. So when "Dr. Kevorkian" came, I was as ready as possible. (If you can afford it, I very much recommend a house call for that final visit. Our vet was aces.)

But maybe you will get a good surgeon; maybe the tumor is encapsulated and will pop right out. We're all pulling for you here. <3

Aweee what a beautiful kitty ! My favorite thing about kitties is how their little tummies always smell so good when theyre all curled up sleeping.  I want to pet him !   =^___^=