Charity Corner 2019 Begins!

hrtbrk

34 minutes ago, Nielo said:

Weird! Maybe some add-on is preventing the button from working.

Anyway, now that you apparently have to use 2 browsers to make this work: have you tried Firefox? That's the browser I've been using and I haven't had any issues.

I considered that it may be an add-on so I disabled AdBlock but same issue... might try another later. I have Norton browser protection on as well and a couple others... As for Firefox, I'll have to download it and install it but I'm not chuffed about that. *sigh*

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

Oh... I see a bit of goal-post moving has gone on here...

The percentage reductions of people's left-over points from last year's a bit of a ... um... [insert word not appropriate for this forum] move, isn't it...

The rest of that's too much text for my brain to be able to compute right now.

I agree... a most [insert appropriate word here] move. I don't think anyone was expecting that especially when, due to how they structured the points prize structure, you almost would have had points left over that you just couldn't use. No one expected that *points discount* but thought all your points would have moved over. Worse this striated discounting is even more yuck. They really know how to annoy gamers.

18 minutes ago, acmerasta said:

I agree... a most [insert appropriate word here] move. I don't think anyone was expecting that especially when, due to how they structured the points prize structure, you almost would have had points left over that you just couldn't use. No one expected that *points discount* but thought all your points would have moved over. Worse this striated discounting is even more yuck. They really know how to annoy gamers.

It wouldn't have been so bad if we'd known about this all along, people would have been mad, but they'd have got over it. But to let us know points would be rolled over, WEEKS ago, with no apparent caveat, and then to drop this on everyone...

*shakes head sadly*

It makes it seem like they ran some last minute check on how many points people would have left over, and panicked, because if this was the intent all along, why keep quiet about it? 

I applaud them for working hard to resolve the mess with this new donation method, but this with the points is just a dirty trick and there's just no other way of looking at it. ?

Poor HTT's gonna have to try and quell the ire, too... I don't envy her job.

Yeah I can't comprehend the thinking behind this move either. So what if some people had a massive amount of points to roll over? It's not like there's shed-loads of rare items or NP to be gained by that or anything.

Question about the points conversion, because again I didn't participate last year - was it easier to get points last year or was it the same "junk item = 1pt, slightly less junky item = 2 pts" etc?

I'm seeing people say they had like 89k which seems ludicrous to me if its the current point system.

18 minutes ago, splitting said:

Question about the points conversion, because again I didn't participate last year - was it easier to get points last year or was it the same "junk item = 1pt, slightly less junky item = 2 pts" etc?

I'm seeing people say they had like 89k which seems ludicrous to me if its the current point system.

The points are the same as last year. I'll say it's definitely possible for people to have that many points. I can't remember how many I got last year, let me find out...

Right, I had about 36k I think, and have 300 and something left over.

Anyway, my CC prep has always been just save everything from Dailies and the BD and get 10 things from the Money Tree every day.

Thing is, last year I used hardly anything of what I'd got from the Money Tree because I was grabbing Gross Food mostly and that has very little rares. So a big chunk of my hoard wasn't used, but I STILL managed to get a lot of points, and there's people out there who spend the whole year buying up r99 items in preparation for CC, so yep, totally possible to have 89k points.

6 hours ago, splitting said:

Has that been a thing in previous years? I've never participated before

i think the first year the avatar was for people who donated every day for 10 days

i usually don't like to miss out on anything :D 

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Right, I had about 36k I think, and have 300 and something left over.

Yeah, there's no way I could donate that much stuff even if I had it. I would go crazier than I already am. Props to you for keeping your sanity.

9 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Props to you for keeping your sanity.

What is this strange thing of which you speak? ?

:ph34r:

I did hunt back through last year's thread and it seems I made 28k points, not 36, so that obviously counts towards proof of me having a full compliment of marbles still, right. ?

Not at all sure right now how I'll fare this year.

Declutter-O-Meter

You have earned yourself 4303 points

I absolutely want to hit 18k to get the bank and stocks perks back, I think I should be able to do it, but this is a thought fondly formed whilst I have a stockpile of r90+ items still to donate... once I'm down to single-pointers the outlook may not be so rosy. ?

The site is actually loading fairly normally today, time to donate 400+ books.

That still won't put me anywhere near what I need for Bank Bribery though, but it helps!

Also, I'm starting to think this Gnorbu from Shenkuu named "Atsumi" is secretly Mirsha in disguise... Hmm.....

3 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Also, I'm starting to think this Gnorbu from Shenkuu named "Atsumi" is secretly Mirsha in disguise... Hmm.....

we are all thinking that

i just hope she goes back to training in time 

AC is just around the corner and it's not time to play TV SHOPPING host

6 hours ago, GillyTook said:

Anyone know how the gift shop will be working yet?

Take a look here:

http://www.neopets.com/charitycorner/2019/perks/

And I hope they still plan on doing this, as mentioned in The Neopian Times, Issue 862, 12th Day of Eating, Y21 (12 April 2019), Question #4:

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=862

P.S. We're also adding a very very very teeny tiny miniscule chance that you will get a high-rarity item drop when you redeem your points, just for the fun of it.

So, when the Perk Shop opens, PLEASE post if if this does happen to you, and what you got!

I just discovered a way to get a few more points... buy a Sticky Snowball from the Healing Springs every half hour! They're only 25 NP in there. ?

I am 1000 points away from the boon I wanted now, I might get there!

3 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I just discovered a way to get a few more points... buy a Sticky Snowball from the Healing Springs every half hour! They're only 25 NP in there. ?

I am 1000 points away from the boon I wanted now, I might get there!

Awesome! You'll totally get there!

I bet they'd have shut-down sales from the Healing Springs for the duration of CC if they could have, like they have the General Store, but it's just not realistic for the Springs, is it, as they have more purpose than the Store.

4 hours ago, GillyTook said:

Gift shop, not perks.  It's up in the top left corner on the hub page.

Yeah, the NC items are pretty nice, gotta say, though I do NOT approve of the polluted painted pool concept!

66689.gif?288Paints have spilled over into the river and now make this beautiful swirl of colours.

SERIOUSLY??!! ? Yeah, I'm sure that beautiful swirl gets delightfully accented with dead fish...

I thought I was going to HAVE to get the lemon tree, but it's a bit small actually, and the lemons just don't look right.

medium_preview.png

It's a bit lost in this bright and busy set up, isn't it, and the lemons look like they've been plonked on top rather than being nestled between the leaves. So I'll be saving my NC I think. The Paint Splashed Coveralls do look very cute on my girl, so I'll let her model 'em for you guys.

medium_preview.png

Ooh, a DTI quirk there? The paint on that brush is yellow in the thumbnail!

It was totally doable to have that many points. I had 100,000, spent some, carried over 60,000, reduced to 6,000. Grr. Last time was drop down boxes; you filled your inventory with say 500 items all the same, selected them in the drop boxes then spammed the refresh button and bam, 500 donated in about thirty seconds.

This current method is painful. Hoping Monday's fix is a simple return to the dropdowns.

20 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Awesome! You'll totally get there!

I bet they'd have shut-down sales from the Healing Springs for the duration of CC if they could have, like they have the General Store, but it's just not realistic for the Springs, is it, as they have more purpose than the Store.

Yeah, I just got enough for it! :D

I'm gonna make sure to get several Sticky Snowballs each day to make sure it's not such a close call next year. Hmm, I wonder why they don't just shut down the shop portion of the Healing Springs during Charity Corner. Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's the reason I got there. :P

11 hours ago, jaydeed said:

It was totally doable to have that many points. I had 100,000

That's insane! I was lucky to get to 8k. Well done!

On another note, I went from 23 pages in my SDB down to 15. It's actually kinda nice! I can scroll through it fairly quick now.

1 hour ago, Robin Hood said:

I'm gonna make sure to get several Sticky Snowballs each day to make sure it's not such a close call next year. Hmm, I wonder why they don't just shut down the shop portion of the Healing Springs during Charity Corner. Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's the reason I got there. :P

They could... no, I can't make sense of my thoughts, lol. I was gonna say they could just take the snowballs out of the shop, but that wouldn't really make sense because all the other items can be used for CC too. I suppose it's just easier to leave things as is. People need the shop for healing potions so closing it wouldn't be fair.

Buttt, it does make the closing of the General Store kinda redundant, doesn't it! I mean who's gonna buy more expensive/low rarity things from there when they can get r100 stuff for 25 NP from the Springs?! ?‍♀️ Makes ZERO sense to me.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:20 AM, GillyTook said:

Gift shop, not perks.  It's up in the top left corner on the hub page.

My apologies. Don't know why I was thinking perks.

The Gift Shop is for the NC portion of Charity Corner. JellyNeo has some info here:

http://www.jellyneo.net/?go=charity_corner

You buy "Clutter Boxes", activate them, then donate your unwanted NC items. In return, you will receive "Badges of Freedom". You can then redeem the "Badges" for NC items listed in the Gift Shop.

Our TDN guide is a bit more in-depth than the one JN has, so you may wish to check it out instead.

Living with Less NC Guide

The guide is now live and visible to all. I had a very busy week and dealing with family stuff so I completely spaced on making the page live and adding the ling to the top post of this topic.

is anybody having trouble with the NC item donations? I bought 3 clutter boxes, added 3 items, and went to the page, clicked the handle but nothing happened. I've had no trouble donating NP items. It does give me the message asking if I'm sure I want to donate the items, I've clicked yes, but it doesn't do anything.

found I had to open an incognito window in Chrome to get it to work

Edited by bonnie_morrison
wanted to add to message