Tell Me This Didn't Happen!!

WhiteWolf

Last Monday, I was cleaning out my purse, and put a healthy $3.86 in change in my change jar that has the old Florida Panthers logo on it. I went to put the lid on it, and the unthinkable happened! It slipped from my grasp, and shattered into a million pieces on the floor. Most would tell me to deal with it, and get a new jar. It's not that easy. First my dad bought that for me. He's no longer here, and the jar is no longer made as it's 20 years old. Fast forward to tonight. I was at the game, and looked for a similar jar. Not one single thing.

I'm using a generic mason jar until a replacement can be found.

It can be tough to have to let things go. I know that the hardest for me was an engagement ring that was my great grandmothers - given to my mother (who passed when I was six) when she was 13 and then given to me (by my grandmother) when I turned 13; and my grandmother's wedding ring. I had asked my grandma to keep the engagement ring for me, as I couldn't wear it with the job that I had at the time. She passed, I took them off her finger when we viewed her body at the hospital. A few months after that they were stolen from me - long story short I was going through a pretty rouch breakup and the man that I had been with for ten years pawned them. The most comforting thing that was said to me concerning all of it was - "Serves you right, that is what you get for coveting objects. Learn to let go and find love in the memories." Sounds crazy, and angered me at the time - but it's nothing short of right. Material possessions are literally nothing, it's the memories that we associate with those things that we should hold in high regard - not the stuff. 

I know it's not the one your dad gave you, but I think there are some pretty inexpensively on ebay, is this what you are looking for?  - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLORIDA-PANTHERS-STANLEY-C-PANTHER-93-SMALL-CHANGE-BANK-COLLECTIBLE-MIB-With-BOX/372631746622?hash=item56c295383e:g:~cQAAOSwWORbotuQ

4 hours ago, shauns_fiancee said:

I know it's not the one your dad gave you, but I think there are some pretty inexpensively on ebay, is this what you are looking for?  - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLORIDA-PANTHERS-STANLEY-C-PANTHER-93-SMALL-CHANGE-BANK-COLLECTIBLE-MIB-With-BOX/372631746622?hash=item56c295383e:g:~cQAAOSwWORbotuQ

Thank you!! That is a perfect replacement for the jar.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly, it was in a million pieces. To repair it would be like trying to do a 1,000 piece puzzle without the picture on the box to help. The mess was cleaned up, and the shards were thrown out. I kept the lid because that was the only part that didn't break.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not yet. My life has been filled with misery these last two months. My fiance needed surgery last month, and I could not be there on that day. This virus has kept me from seeing him at all. Anything I want on E-Bay will have to wait. Believe me, I'm developing one heck of a wishlist.

• 1 month later...

I'm so late to this thread, but I'm so sorry to hear about your fiance! Have you been able to see him since? I've not been allowed to visit my grandma, even though every day might be her last. It's a bit frustrating, especially because where I am now is reopening amusement parks and restaurants. It seems like no one is taking it seriously anymore, even though it means it's bound to get worse. We've all made sacrifices, so I wish people would be patient so these sacrifices would have more meaning.

Also, as for the change jar, besides saving up for an Ebay replacement. Would you be able to ask a family member for photos of you and your dad together, or other objects that you can keep close in memory of him?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 2:24 AM, WhiteWolf said:

Sadly, my dear Ed passed away on May 10th. I have been crying my eyes out since.

I am so, absolutely sorry you've lost your love. I cannot imagine how devastating it must be, and how bizarre it is to undergo trauma without him there for you. You deserve infinity with the love of your life, and not a second less.