Do you think Neopets still has much of a future?

The Dragon King

Do you think Neopets still has much of a future?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Neopets still has much of a future?

• Yes, I'm sure JS/ND will eventually figure things out.
    • Maybe, if it got sold to a new owner again.
    • No, Neo's doomed and there's nothing we can do about it.
    • I'm not really sure.

I think it will always survive. Even if the official TNT closes it, someone will grab it and host it on a private server or so. It might not be the way it is now (right now it isn't the way it was in the beginning or as it was at it's peak) but some diehard fans will volunteer to keep it up and running. I don't think that something that has been around for so long and has a fanbase all over the world will ever completely disappear.

I see three routes.... one, flash dies, the official set gives up, and fan based sites keep things going for a while.   Two, flash dies, staff comes up with their own version to keep things going, as hosts, artists, writers, and now coders and support.   Or third, everything gets switched over to something other than flash.   Which would be a mess, but if done well could keep things swimming for years, until whatever the new format is becomes outdated and the whole thing starts over again.

4 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

I see three routes.... one, flash dies, the official set gives up, and fan based sites keep things going for a while.   Two, flash dies, staff comes up with their own version to keep things going, as hosts, artists, writers, and now coders and support.   Or third, everything gets switched over to something other than flash.   Which would be a mess, but if done well could keep things swimming for years, until whatever the new format is becomes outdated and the whole thing starts over again.

They have been actively converting the site to HTML5 for years now and have mentioned several times that they are converting from Flash to HTML5. All of this while having a mobile friendly site ready in the next few months (they announced this would be released this summer).

JS is putting a lot into Neopets and have shared their aspirations for the site; I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon.

But who knows in the day and age... some many things are are 'here today, gone tomorrow'. ?

I thought for a while it would die, especially after selling to the current owners. I thought it's end had come when key quest and certain contests ect were "paused" or ended. 
But, now that I am back after a year hiatus, I see they seem to be actively improving things. It seems like they're trying to improve it, new dailies, items and the pose thingy I read about. What they need is new members. I havn't seen an Ad for neopets since I was little (20 now)

I'm happy to see the optimists trending on this one. I hope it will survive. JS is working on things and as much as some things are annoying (what's new?!) things are happening. Ads will come I think, when JS has things in a more stable state with new things to attract and keep new players such as a fully mobile site. I hope.

Interesting comments about ads, because HOW would they advertise now? Are you talking a commercial on TV? The ad I saw that got me to sign up in 2002 was on AOL's homepage. I wonder how they'd go about doing it now. I mean the one on AOL wasn't a blockable banner ad, it was a feature on the page. Did ad blocking even exist then? I've no idea, lol.

But yeah, I wonder what the best options are these days. They're gonna be hoping to gain new players via the mobile apps, I'm sure, but it's all above my head a bit these days because of my brain issues.

Who knows. People have been saying that Neopets could shut down at any moment 2010, but it's almost 2020 and the site is still functional. Granted, it's a complete mess, but the fact that it still exists is quite an impressive feat.

Anyway, with so much discussion about the death of Neopets over the years, I've honestly stopped caring about when it'll happen. Maybe it'll happen ten years from now, or maybe it'll happen tomorrow. Either way I'm prepared.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:05 AM, Duma said:

Even if the official TNT closes it, someone will grab it and host it on a private server or so. It might not be the way it is now (right now it isn't the way it was in the beginning or as it was at it's peak) but some diehard fans will volunteer to keep it up and running.

How would that work though? I can understand archiving the site, but hosting and keeping it alive would be kinda hard, wouldn't it? There would be no way to retrieve user information, so players would have to start from zero, and even then, a fan-supported site would be kinda sketchy.

Not sure how those things get done, but I've seen it with a lot of sites. It might be that, if it ever happens, players would have to start from zero. I don't know how it gets done behind the curtains though. And IF it already happened that Neopets closes and it becomes fanbased, I'm pretty sure that it will be even smaller than it is now, making it easier to host. Especially if players need to start from scratch. I just don't think it will ever be completely gone after it lived for 2 decades! Ever since internet became popular they've been around. They've survived so many changes on the web, survived massive competition for games/sites with games. flash to html5 is just another of those changes. And yes, it's a big one for them, but they'll get there. Neopets will live. That's all I'm fairly sure of.

I personally think neopets could go either way. I've been a member for 17 and a half years (since 2001), and although they've definitely changed things throughout the years and added more content, it's kind of a lot of similar content. There are differently a lot of improvements that could be made, and as mentioned above, I really do hope they do come out with a mobile version. That's honestly something they should have considered doing years ago once smart phones and tablets became must-have items for most people. 

There are so many things they need to work on, even things that might not seem like such a big deal. I probably have 50+ of those empty gift boxes in my inventory from Trudy's Surprise with no way to actually get rid of them so they just take up space. It would also be nice if they created a feature where you could select multiple items in your inventory at a time and select an option for what is to be done with them instead of doing it one at a time. Just little things like that would be great. 

12 hours ago, xxstaindrosesxx said:

I personally think neopets could go either way. I've been a member for 17 and a half years (since 2001), and although they've definitely changed things throughout the years and added more content, it's kind of a lot of similar content. There are differently a lot of improvements that could be made, and as mentioned above, I really do hope they do come out with a mobile version. That's honestly something they should have considered doing years ago once smart phones and tablets became must-have items for most people. 

There are so many things they need to work on, even things that might not seem like such a big deal. I probably have 50+ of those empty gift boxes in my inventory from Trudy's Surprise with no way to actually get rid of them so they just take up space. It would also be nice if they created a feature where you could select multiple items in your inventory at a time and select an option for what is to be done with them instead of doing it one at a time. Just little things like that would be great. 

I have over a 100 of those boxes and whenever I have a bunch of NC stuff I don't want I can send them to others that do like them. Without the free boxes I wouldn't have done this.  I'm guessing that the coding is just horrible and that it might not be so easy to bring everything to smart phones. But they are working on it. And about the feature to select multiple items: there is one: "Quickstock" The only thing we can't do with multiple at once is using the item, like reading a book or blessing a pet.

image.png

For me it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m hardly on Neopets because:

1. In my free time I prefer doing other things I’m more invested in

2. I don’t own a laptop or computer 

I don’t lose sleep over and panic too much about Neopets shutting down. For me the worry isn’t worth it. I have other hobbies and interests that I would still have. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not really sure, I’ve been playing Neopets on and off since I was in 5th grade. I hadn’t played for a few years till a couple of days ago and was surprised to see the site still being actively updated. I think a fully functional mobile version could definitely get more people to play the game.  

• 6 months later...

Well, there's definitely precident for it.

It really depends how profitable it remains, and how well it can draw in new users and keep them invested. Going mobile is probably the best shot they have of that. 

It's on the internet, and no site lasts forever. Buuuut, I doubt that the current owners would just shut it down without at least trying to sell it.

I'm hoping, but not very hopeful. ?
It's sad that I can go months, years without playing and yet come back to exactly the same stuff.

What's new in the past year anyway? Besides L&L (which to me just looks like they want to break away from the original site).

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Naamah or Samantha said:

With Flash being discontinued I don’t see the point in playing Neopets. I know not everyone feels this way but Neopets is dying out. 

They are converting the website to work without Flash. The beta for the new mobile friendly website is set to launch soon.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I hope it stays around forever or reinvents it's self at least. I took a break for 10 years and I only came back again because I saw a neopets game on the app store on my phone, I played the crap out of it, and then realized I could link my accounts together, which sent me down an insane rabbit hole of getting only my side account back. Now I'm more obsessed with neopets than I ever was as a kid. It's wild, but it's so fun and has so much potential to be around for a long time. -shrug- I try to look at things in a positive way though. 

• 3 years later...

is anyone else amazed that neopets is still viable?  (yup, resurrecting an old thread)   this thread actually aged pretty well.   i'm doing my part in keeping neopets going lol   i don't bother buying NC stuff but i do pay for premium.  i know from experience there are worse things to throw my money away on.   i'm glad neo is still around.  i need a little nostalgic boredom relief until i go back to work.  this works even if it's not as fun as it was when i was a kid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm It does depend on how TNT runs it and as long as they can make SOME/ENOUGH money off of it to keep the current owners happy with that. It really does have a lot of possibilities if TNT plays it right and as long as the owners are kept happy. Though I wish they'd get on converting more games and fixing broken things in the BD. Like some of the abilities and stealing. 😉

But I figure that the hinted-at battle plot that is upcoming will be a way to test out fixes in the BD. This is PURELY speculation on my part. But, the last time they did a major overhaul to the BD WAS around the time of the Obelisk War, when they redesigned everything. I'm not looking forward to the 1p opponents getting their abilities fully fixed of course. lol But TNT doesn't usually play "fair" with the players in the BD. They come up with insanity and we have to deal with it. lol Like some 1p opponents have tens of thousands of HP (on Mighty difficulty). I would LOVE some more Strength and Defense boosts, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT those will be in the mix. Again, TNT doesn't usually play fair in the BD. 😜