Happy Lenny Day!

hrtbrk

3 hours ago, Aranel said:

There's something about the Maraquan Lenny that just... seems amiss. I'm not sure why. But I don't think I like it. :P

I actually DO like it... but I agree, it IS weird.... almost looks like they were designing a delicate and pretty fish and just jammed on a lenny face at the last minute

the more i look at the Maraquan Lenny , th more it makes sense .. we don't want a pet that looks nothing like its counterpart colors ... i mean most the other Maraquan pets are instantly recognizable except maybe for the Wocky , but it still has Wocky face ... so I kinda understand the beak .. but it should be more pointed and a different colour .. like a swordfish or a marlin horn ....

Considering how bad this could have been, I'm quite relieved. ?

I've been dreading any new Maraquan pets because of TNT's general lack of imagination now (poor Darigan Vandy *wipes tear*) though this is a pretty plain fish. Part of me would have liked them to make this a sea bird, but I do realise that's stretching the Maraquan theme too far, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been well-received on the whole! But it would have been an imaginative way around the difficulty of finding a marine counterpart for the Lenny.

The outfit's cute though isn't it. Though for some reason now Roadrunner has just sprung to mind, do you think that's partly what inspired the Lenny? Adam and Donna being students they will ofc have spent a lot of their time watching cartoons. :laughingsmiley:

Nj4kUCm.gif

4 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Part of me would have liked them to make this a sea bird

Funny you say that because when I saw it, I instantly thought of Scuttle from Little Mermaid. Not sure why, since the colors and whatnot aren't the same and certainly the body isn't, but there you have it...

44 minutes ago, splitting said:

Funny you say that because when I saw it, I instantly thought of Scuttle from Little Mermaid. Not sure why, since the colors and whatnot aren't the same and certainly the body isn't, but there you have it...

I like that the sea bird vibe didn't hit just me then. :D

I wonder how many Maraquan pets are left to make now. I can't be bothered to go find out, lol.

I lied, I just counted 'em on Neocolours, there's 11 to go. Looking at them all together they're not all super imaginative, the Mynci's particularly disappointing, the Krawk just has a slightly different tail and no back legs, a lot follow that template. They can't all live up to the overwhelming cuteness of these guys, lol.

2.png2.png

I really don't know how I feel about the Maraquan Lenny but it gives me Disney vibes. They missed an opportunity by not making it a betta fish (imo)

4 hours ago, jellysundae said:

the Mynci's particularly disappointing, 

Whaaaaaaaaat! It's an awesome pun! They're a play on the Sea Monkey toy mascot/logo shrimp-thing!  ?

59 minutes ago, hrtbrk said:

I really don't know how I feel about the Maraquan Lenny but it gives me Disney vibes. They missed an opportunity by not making it a betta fish (imo)

Yeah I get Disney vibes from it too though I don't know WHY, lol.

1 hour ago, hrtbrk said:

Whaaaaaaaaat! It's an awesome pun! They're a play on the Sea Monkey toy mascot/logo shrimp-thing!  ?

It is? I shall shut up then, lol.

4 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

Wow I never got that either LOL. Personally I like the Maraquan Shoyru, Korbat, Grarrl and Lupe. Although some of these I have never seen. The Chia I had no idea existed. Also the Yurble is pretty cute. As much as I love Kougras though, I have never been much of a fan of their Maraquan color.

Marine biology enthusiast stepping in! A lot of the Maraquan pets are pretty generic, yeah, but I want to point out a few less obvious real-life inspired ones that I'm a fan of.

Chia: Sea cucumber

image.png.9ea9e22ca23501a9e0064040bc5c39c3.png LhjscZ.png

Ogrin: Mantis shrimp

image.png.509bc83ce2b17158b2a4e3ece647ddd5.png BwZ7xo.png

Yurble: Manatee

image.png.0f0653211bc1ebc1e90d771e173632fd.png ZrhHW7.png

And my personal favourite!
Xweetok: Nudibranch (sea slug)

image.png.aa8feac2ee661273aedd5614c8fc68d7.png fBKyTk.png

(sorry for the wall of images)

As for the Maraquan Lenny... I dunno. It has a nice sleek body, but that generic face and beak slapped on it kinda ruins it, for me. It looks jarring and out of place. Perhaps the artist just couldn't get the beak to look right and put the default one on and called it a day.

I love the Yurble manatee, it looks so friendly. ?

It's interesting that the Bruce isn't an actual penguin, but a fish. Seems a missed opportunity?

2.png

Another pretty Disney-ish one here, I think. But look it has those Emperor penguin bits over the eyes... or is this modelled on a specific species of fish? @Duskitty

So let's play a little game here guys... there's no Maraquan Kiko yet, and the puffer fish has been used for the Meerca 2.pngso what do you think they're go for for the Kiko? The Jubjub's made of coral which is pretty cool. 2.png

OH!!! How about a jellyfish? I'm trying to think of not only round things, but no legs either. Actually jellyfish... dunno how that'd translate as a Neopet, back to the drawing-board I think! Think it's likely to be an anemone or a sea urchin?

9 hours ago, Duskitty said:

Marine biology enthusiast stepping in! A lot of the Maraquan pets are pretty generic, yeah, but I want to point out a few less obvious real-life inspired ones that I'm a fan of.

This is amazing, thank you kind marine biology enthusiast! 

Related to the Lenny = Disney but unrelated to the Maraquan conversation. The dancer shoes on a Lenny remind me of Fantasia:

ostrich.jpg

Glad you all liked my post! I've got a couple more for ya.

Buzz: Yabby

image.png.786398734753b49039e9cbe02cd165db.png $_20.JPG

Draik: Japanese koi (carp)

image.png.cf40d3be7e171fc2f90a5325bef34409.png carp.jpg

Elephante: Whale (presumably, blue whale)

image.png.7c55d5cf81aa1b6f9a709ff02e44008f.png photo_verybig_190436.jpg

19 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Another pretty Disney-ish one here, I think. But look it has those Emperor penguin bits over the eyes... or is this modelled on a specific species of fish? @Duskitty

I can't say for sure, but my best guess is black-spotted puffer:

6a010535f11c3d970c013487b7e5ea970c-800wi

Body shape is pretty similar, but it appears the colours are flipped.

As for the Maraquan Kiko, I personally hope they base it on a sea anemone or sea peach. As someone who's really into marine biology, I live for the Maraquan pets that they base off real-life things. (Wish they had based the Lenny on a swordfish or sturgeon. :/)

2 hours ago, Duskitty said:

I can't say for sure, but my best guess is black-spotted puffer:

6a010535f11c3d970c013487b7e5ea970c-800wi

Body shape is pretty similar, but it appears the colours are flipped.

As for the Maraquan Kiko, I personally hope they base it on a sea anemone or sea peach. As someone who's really into marine biology, I live for the Maraquan pets that they base off real-life things. (Wish they had based the Lenny on a swordfish or sturgeon. :/)

Ooh, that puffer does look likely, doesn't it! What a cute l'il guy. ☺️

Yeah I'm disappointed that they went for a generic fish, but not at all surprised, sadly.

1 hour ago, Angeló said:

The Maraquan Hiss is an Eel maraquan hissi

Just my 2 cents :P

The Maraquan Cobrall's most definitely an eel.

8117.gif?736

I wonder if the Hissi is meant to be more sea serpent?

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Ooh, that puffer does look likely, doesn't it! What a cute l'il guy. ☺️

Yeah I'm disappointed that they went for a generic fish, but not at all surprised, sadly.

The Maraquan Cobrall's most definitely an eel.

8117.gif?736

I wonder if the Hissi is meant to be more sea serpent?

could be , but i relied more on the old art - pose

maraquan hissi

The Hissi is a little more generic, I feel. Definitely got that sea-serpent inspired feel, but it isn't directly based off any specific aquatic serpent/eel.

You're on the money with Maraquan Cobrall, though - it keeps the markings of the Cobrall but it has the body and frills of an eel.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:07 PM, hrtbrk said:

They missed an opportunity by not making it a betta fish (imo)

I've just remembered that the Maraquan Kad's a betta fish.

18075.gif?679

Though I suspect that doesn't mean anything either way. I'd like to hope that the artist checked all existing Maraquan critters before deciding on what to make the Lenny - surely they must have -  but will they have thought to include petpets in that search? ?‍♀️

I want to know all the pets that still need painting in this colour now, let's do some checkin'

Huh, going through the pets I'm just confusing myself, lol. The number yet to be painted keeps dropping as I see aquatic ones, so here's a question... will the Nimmo and Quiggle get done? The Techo been has...

2.png

Am I just assuming Techos are aquatic because they look frog-like? *reads Book of Ages entry* Yeah it seems like I am. But then reading the one for Nimmos it says Nimmos can be found all over Neopia, though they prefer environments near lots of water. Which makes them eligible for a Maraquan paint-job if you ask me, what about Quigs... Quiggles are equally at home on land or in water, and like to have a bit of wetness in their surroundings.  Bit ambiguous that, but I'd say that puts them in the running too, wouldn't you think?

I guess the ones that definitely won't get a Maraquan look are:

• Flotsam
  • Jetsam
  • Koi
  • Peophin
  • Tuskaninny

Which leaves

• Gnorbu
  • Kiko
  • Lutari
  • Vandagyre

Just 4? Huh.

8 hours ago, hrtbrk said:

I had no idea about the Maraquan Kad! I've got a maraquan pet in need of a petpet so that may be a contender ?

Have you checked out the price of them? *gulps*

Looks like you'd need 6m lying around in loose change to be able to get one. ?

They ARE lovely though, aren't they!