TFW you get a blister...

jellysundae

... on the roof of your mouth because your food was too hot.

?

I "affectionately" call this a pizza blister, because I believe they're by far the biggest culprit for this scenario. ???

But this was a rice/beans/roast veggies combo that I'd re-heated some of, proving that pizza blisters are actually completely inclusive and all for equal opportunities, in their world ANY food gets the chance to burn the... heck out of your mouth!

Yay?

?

Luckily those burns tend to heal rather quickly, within a day or 2. And mostly caused by cheesy stuff as that tends to stick. I've had them with lasagna a LOT. And yes, it's very important to let your food cool for a bit! Burns, no matter where or what from are better avoided. So be careful in the future and make sure you drink something cool to help it heal and ease the pain!

This one popped and peeled instantly, but it has mostly healed overnight, it's not sore now, just there. I guess that's because of your saliva? I was wondering about what @Duma said about them healing fast and I'm assuming saliva is the reason, animals licking their wounds and all that. Our bodies are far cleverer than we give them credit for, arrogant tenants that we are, lol.

I was also pondering the pizza (and lasagne!) blister and WHY it's so bad. There's a double-whammy situation going on there, isn't there...

Here's a visual representation of the top of a pizza.

Csi5JKC.jpg

• Lava crust = cheese
  • Molten lava below = pizza sauce

You bite into that slice and you're breaking through the crust, releasing a spurt of molten lava onto the roof of your mouth, which is then held in place by the cheese so it can do maximum damage...

Pizza hates us. ? But wait, we invented it, so we're the creators of our own torture... there's some parable in there somewhere...

I tend to burn my mouth with spicy sauce, not molten cheese.   Though I certainly have burned myself with too hot food.   But i'm a big fan of spicy.   Very glad Ghost Peppers are fairly easy to find these days.   The heat is typically a little much, but I like the flavor of Ghost Peppers.  Habaneros are more my heat level, but I don't care for the taste of them.

spicy is a completely different "burn" though. That one goes away the moment you eat or drink something with fats in them, like dairy. Spicyness does NOT dissolve in water, it will just spread it, but it will dissolve in fats, removing it from your mouth.

As to why it heals fast, as far as I know (I'm no doctor!) the saliva just has an anti-inflammatory working. Maybe it cools it a bit too as it is body temperature and thus cold enough to take away some heat. The main reason I believe is because there are so many blood vessels (red color = lots of blood) plus its a lot softer tissue than for example your skin. Wounds on your skin tend to heal up fast underneath but the last few layers take a long time. I'm guessing the soft tissue is easier to "repair" for our body, especially with lots of blood flowing through it bringing all the required nutrients. Again, I'm no doctor but that's what I always thought was the reason.

31 minutes ago, Duma said:

spicy is a completely different "burn" though. That one goes away the moment you eat or drink something with fats in them, like dairy. Spicyness does NOT dissolve in water, it will just spread it, but it will dissolve in fats, removing it from your mouth.

As to why it heals fast, as far as I know (I'm no doctor!) the saliva just has an anti-inflammatory working. Maybe it cools it a bit too as it is body temperature and thus cold enough to take away some heat. The main reason I believe is because there are so many blood vessels (red color = lots of blood) plus its a lot softer tissue than for example your skin. Wounds on your skin tend to heal up fast underneath but the last few layers take a long time. I'm guessing the soft tissue is easier to "repair" for our body, especially with lots of blood flowing through it bringing all the required nutrients. Again, I'm no doctor but that's what I always thought was the reason.

Hmm, I read recently too, about how skin heals better, and faster,  if it's kept out of the air and moist, and is less likely to scar if no scab forms, because the drying out of the skin to form the scab creates a scar, and the scab itself takes longer to heal which ties in with what you say about the outer layers taking longer anyway. So the moistness of the mouth, and the rich blood supply, and the properties in the saliva all work together nicely to heal that pizza blister, don't they. ?

Oh, so maybe, @Kute you won't have a bunch of scar tissue just behind your teeth up there, lol.

@Rayd1978 doing the guy thing and liking incendiary chilis. ? Interesting that you can taste flavour in the super-hot ones though. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to spice and jalapeno is about my limit. :ph34r: I'm all about the flavour with just a bit of heat, enough to make my nose run, but not enough to turn my lips numb!  Anything too high up the scale just registers as burnnn for me, no flavour detectable. ?

8 hours ago, weezieb3 said:

I'm old and can only guess at what TFW means. I think Cap'n Crunch cereal is the worst at tearing up the roof of your mouth. God forbid you burn it first with pizza! Invest in a whole lot of popsicles for a few days!

I was actually getting on here to ask what it means. The only thing that I can come up with is :The Fairy Whale. The only reason that I think that I am wrong is because no one else has mentioned whales...

4 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

I was actually getting on here to ask what it means. The only thing that I can come up with is :The Fairy Whale. The only reason that I think that I am wrong is because no one else has mentioned whales...

13 hours ago, weezieb3 said:

I'm old and can only guess at what TFW means. I think Cap'n Crunch cereal is the worst at tearing up the roof of your mouth. God forbid you burn it first with pizza! Invest in a whole lot of popsicles for a few days!

'That Face When' of 'That Feeling When'  or perhaps 'THE Feeling When'... part of the trouble with such abbreviations, different people in different groups use them in different ways.   Had some mild trouble with an online friend a while back when I made a comment and he returned 'QFT'.    I was familiar with the term meaning 'Quit F-ing Talking', and I was somewhat insulted.

14 hours ago, jellysundae said:

@Rayd1978 doing the guy thing and liking incendiary chilis. ? Interesting that you can taste flavour in the super-hot ones though. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to spice and jalapeno is about my limit. :ph34r: I'm all about the flavour with just a bit of heat, enough to make my nose run, but not enough to turn my lips numb!  Anything too high up the scale just registers as burnnn for me, no flavour detectable. ?

I quite understand, have a friend who is quite into very spicy sauces, recently did a sort of taste test with his friends, gathered up a bunch of firey sauces and compared them all.   Were several no one liked, just heat with no real flavor to them.   All had a fair bit of heat, but I favored the milder ones of the bunch, the hotter ones were just hot to me.   Others in the group agreed those were hot, but were able to pick out the various flavors within the heat.

6 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

Had some mild trouble with an online friend a while back when I made a comment and he returned 'QFT'.    I was familiar with the term meaning 'Quit F-ing Talking', and I was somewhat insulted.

Oh lol, see I'm fully aware of QFT being quoted for truth but I didn't know there was another phrase it stood for too, eek! Hopefully you both had a laugh about it afterwards? ?

Interesting that about the hot sauce test, just shows that some manufacturers are aiming solely for the machismo side of things and not at all interested in selling actual tasty food?

@weezieb3 @babayaga67 Ladies, my apologies for befuddling you! As Ray's explained TFW is that feeling when, but... as internet phrases and acronyms are born and evolve so quickly absolutely anyone has an equal chance of not knowing what the Fyora they mean. Very often I find myself having to Google them to try and find out, lol.

18 hours ago, FreyaFox said:

I am about to indulge in some scalding hot tomato soup with cheddar cheese cubes (small cubes that I put in the soup when done so it starts to melt as I eat the soup) and whole wheat crackers...wish me luck  LOL 

How did it go, did you survive unscathed? I mean you went into this fully aware of the risks, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't still get ya. ?

3 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Oh lol, see I'm fully aware of QFT being quoted for truth but I didn't know there was another phrase it stood for too, eek! Hopefully you both had a laugh about it afterwards? ?

Interesting that about the hot sauce test, just shows that some manufacturers are aiming solely for the machismo side of things and not at all interested in selling actual tasty food?

@weezieb3 @babayaga67 Ladies, my apologies for befuddling you! As Ray's explained TFW is that feeling when, but... as internet phrases and acronyms are born and evolve so quickly absolutely anyone has an equal chance of not knowing what the Fyora they mean. Very often I find myself having to Google them to try and find out, lol.

How did it go, did you survive unscathed? I mean you went into this fully aware of the risks, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't still get ya. ?<span>

Thank you for asking @jellysundae. It actually went quite well. I was pleasantly surprised. No huge blister on the top of my mouth this time. Lol...and more soup today (mushroom this time). Have to warm myself from the inside out. It's sooooooooooo cold here I am not up  for any cold foods or drinks . ? Anyone else enjoy soup for a late breakfast or brunch? I could live off of it! ❤️ 

"Fyora"  ?

And I agree with in regards to acronyms. I to find myself having to Google them as well on occasion...especially when my children are not around. ?  However, I have on occasion known the acronym before they do and baffle them regarding that. Thank you Google! LMBO!

23 minutes ago, FreyaFox said:

It actually went quite well. I was pleasantly surprised. No huge blister on the top of my mouth this time. Lol...and more soup today (mushroom this time). Have to warm myself from the inside out. It's sooooooooooo cold here I am not up  for any cold foods or drinks . ? Anyone else enjoy soup for a late breakfast or brunch? I could live off of it! ❤️ 

Oh yeah, very often, lol. If I've made soup I'll likely have it for breakfast for the next few days until it's all gone. There's 4 recipes that I particularly like, from food bloggers that I follow:

Got some of the lentil and chicken, and the sweet potato one in the freezer, managed to put some aside instead of just slurping it all down, lol, the lentil and chicken is calling to me, even though I have PLENTY of food in the fridge to eat. :ph34r:?

Yeah I purposely bought a new tea to try to give me something else to drink as I DON'T want to be drinking water at this time of the year, no way!

34 minutes ago, FreyaFox said:

Fyora"  ?

Think she'd be mad at me for taking her name in vain? ... that's a really weird phrase, lol.

34 minutes ago, FreyaFox said:

However, I have on occasion known the acronym before they do and baffle them regarding that.

Nice, +100 cool mum points for that!

On 1/27/2019 at 6:53 AM, jellysundae said:

Yes, I'd actually written his meaning of the term and that we both had a laugh later.   Seems the forum ate that line.   Ah well.

And yes, are companies that try to make flavorful foods that are also very spicy, and are those who want nothing but pure macho burn.