Battledome weapons help

Hi all, new to the forums so sorry if this is a stupid question!

My current attack weapons are 15 icons, I play 1-player and like to one shot and want to get the pteri who just repeatedly froze me last time :( - any advice helpful on least expensive weapons I can get with more than 15 icons?

My account is old but I have been away many years (amazing how much the site has developed although maybe I wasn't very observant back then..), have started food club and stocks to build up the bank balance but not made it to 8 digits in the bank account yet, soon though hopefully..

Thanks for any help even if it means I still need to save a while!

Hi, i think that you'd just want to build your pets skills a bit more. I'm assuming youre using petrified_mouse? I think that any weapon is only as good as the pet using it. I have some very nice weapons with 15 icons but even I cannot really 1 shot the toughest opponents and my bd pet stats are 5x yours. 

Also are you using the faerie abilities? It's very useful to have your pet's level up to be able to have these as aid in battle. 

I'm not an expert at BD or anything, I'm just giving advice from my experience however there are many people here who are smart. Hopefully they have more insight. 

15 icon weapons are great and you should be able to defeat the black Pteri with it. Make sure you use the abilities like Kute said. Especially Lens Flare/Throw Pillows to give you one round where the opponent is defenseless and can't attack back either. To 1-KO the really tough opponents you'll need to train lots and lots more. Especially if you would like to beat them on the hardest difficulty. Your next boost (Strenght and defense) is at 125 so try to bring them to that.

If you tell us what your equipment set at the moment is we might have some ideas, defense wise, so that you have a better chance against the Pteri.

Thanks for replying folks ? Yes it is petrified mouse I'm usually a one pet person the others are very temporary!

I have the 125 boost on strength and am continuing to train but the next boost (200 iirc) seems very far away - I'll get to 125 on defence (training that at the moment) and up the hp before I carry on with strength I think else it'll be more expensive - I'll cross a codestone boundary on my way there. Eventually I will get there...

I used lens flare on pteri last time and got it down to something in single figures I think and then didn't get another turn! Got frozen repeatedly turn after turn until I ran out of hp! Maybe that was just bad luck though..? I was so shocked at how often they can use the abilities I was scared to try again ?

ATM I have

Greater healing scroll, downsize, bowling ball, turned tooth, leaf shield, rusty pitchfork, bow of destiny (I never really use it but omg I earned that weapon so it stays!!) and a space to fill - have a few other bits in SDB incl another bowling ball but nothing exciting, scarab ring etc.

Thanks again ?

12 hours ago, petrified_mouse said:

Thanks for replying folks ? Yes it is petrified mouse I'm usually a one pet person the others are very temporary!

I have the 125 boost on strength and am continuing to train but the next boost (200 iirc) seems very far away - I'll get to 125 on defence (training that at the moment) and up the hp before I carry on with strength I think else it'll be more expensive - I'll cross a codestone boundary on my way there. Eventually I will get there...

I used lens flare on pteri last time and got it down to something in single figures I think and then didn't get another turn! Got frozen repeatedly turn after turn until I ran out of hp! Maybe that was just bad luck though..? I was so shocked at how often they can use the abilities I was scared to try again ?

ATM I have

Greater healing scroll, downsize, bowling ball, turned tooth, leaf shield, rusty pitchfork, bow of destiny (I never really use it but omg I earned that weapon so it stays!!) and a space to fill - have a few other bits in SDB incl another bowling ball but nothing exciting, scarab ring etc.

Thanks again ?

I've checked it for you and The Black Pteri blocks mostly air and fire and deals most air and dark and some physical damage. The Thyoras Tear will block everything so as long as he can't multi-use that one it's one round that your damage won't reach (unless you happen to use Lens flare at that time).

In any case, your leaf shield, even though it's a very nice shield, is pretty much useless against him. So I suggest another shield (something like Earthen Scorchstone, it's cheap and will block 4.5 air and 5 dark). Shields should be altered with every opponent until you can one hit them (or 2 hit once you get the ability Warlocks Rage). Another nice shield would be Dr. Sloths Personal Body Armour if you have 6 mil to spend. Your Bowling Ball isn't as effective either as main weapon when he can use items/shields. So it's good on the round of Lens Flare but after that you should attack with your Turned Tooth or Rusty Pitchfork as that does some additional shielding and he shouldn't have too much life left.

With a strength of 125, Turned Tooth, Bowling Ball and Lens flare you should do between 84 and 111 damage on the first turn. Starting HP on easy for the Pteri is 94 so that's either a 1 hit KO or really close to it.

What I would do is like previously mentioned as first round, then either attack with the Turned Tooth and use your Downsize! and An Icicle if you have that ability, or use An Icicle as your weapon and use Downsize! and Rusty Pitchfork or Earthen Scorchstone depending on how much life he has left. (Icicle should do 15 to 18 damage). You could get yourself a good bomb for the first round but the ones that have more icons than the weapons you already have are quite expensive (Think Ghostkerbomb expensive).  The freezing might always stay a problem unless you have a freezer of your own. (Not too sure what good cheap freezers are, expensive ones are Moehog Skull, Freezing Potion, Randomly Firing Freeze Ray, Maractite Dimensional Trap and if your intelligence is over a 100 you could get Heavy Blue Tunic (3 to 4 mil)). In any case you should be able to defeat him in 2 to 3 rounds as long as you don't get frozen multiple times, you'll need a bit of luck for that. Your healer is fine for your current stats. If he keeps freezing you, keep using An Icicle and defense/dual duty weapons. At one point it might go through. Lets just hope you still have plenty of HP left at that time. :wink:

Good luck!

Hi, I don't know if you've seen TDN's battle articles section, but there is a Black Pteri Challenger Guide that is included in that section. Here is the link.

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/battledome/black-pteri-challenger-guide/

I think that the guide is looking at things from the minimum needed to defeating the Black Pteri on the easiest difficulty.
Unfortunately, I can't stay on long right now to give a really detailed reply. That being said, I would recommend taking a look at equipment that can reflect Air and Dark as those seem to be the bulk of the icon types that the Black Pteri uses. (You can check out it's weapons in the above link, click on them to see their stats).

Double Dryer reflects 50% Air and has roughly a 1/100 percent chance of permanently Breaking. Ultra Dark Reflectorb, reflects 50% of Darkness, and ALSO has a 1/100 percent chance of permanently breaking. Both are fairly inexpensive.

While scanning the posts, I noticed Duma brought up the Earthen Scorchstone. It really is a good little defensive item. I've used one when I was battling, heck maybe even against the Dark Pteri, I really can't recall at the moment. LOL

But if, say, you get in a bit of trouble and think you might lose, and your Downsize! has been used. If you pair one of those reflectors WITH the Earthen Scorchstone, plus whatever Faerie Ability you have available, you should be able to do some damage while you defend yourself.

I haven't tried this in the new BD. But if you select a reflector for the first slot, and an Earthen Scorchstone in the Second, I am not sure, but perhaps the Reflector will activate first, and the Earthen Scorchstone will help protect you from some damage from whatever the reflector doesn't reflect back, since it is simply a blocker. It's worth a shot. ? Oh, and all 3 of those items I mentioned are under 1,000np on the Shop Wiz.

Feel free to play around and experiment with different weapon combos. The 50% reflectors at the Defense Magic Shop in the Neopian Bazaar, ALL have the same conditions, they have a slight chance of permanently breaking. Also, you may only equip one of each type at a time. (So a Double Dryer and Ultra Dark Reflectorb can be equipped at the same time, but not 2 Double Dryers, that kind of thing.)
When you're battling on a budget, it's good to familiarize yourself with different equipment and you might just be surprised at how helpful some items, even really low-stat items can be. The 50% reflectors literally helped me eek out victories on a number of occasions in my battling career. Tekkitu the Witch Doctor, Commander Garoo, etc.

I'll check back later today to see if you have any more questions. And if you haven't beaten the Black Pteri, I'll see if I can provide some more ideas.

Later!

11 hours ago, petrified_mouse said:

I think my lucky break came while you were typing, but the input is still much appreciated for my future battling!

Do all the 1p challengers who have access to throw pillows etc use it repeatedly like black pteri or is that unusual?

lol It could've been! I saw a new reply notification immediately after I clicked the "Submit Reply" button, but I was too tired to check it further. lol

As Duma said, they all can use any ability as much as they want. I think this holds true for 1-use items unless I'm getting the Old BD mixed up with the New BD. TNT makes the rules, and we have to deal with them. In battle, that can be pretty frustrating at times.

Anyway, congrats on your win this morning! Best of luck against your next opponent! ^_^

• 3 months later...

I just thought I would post this since I don't believe I have received an item this expensive or rare while playing Sakhmet Solitaire. The least expensive I found this item on the SSW was 57777. I normally receive inexpensive items. Just thought I would share. 

Stocking Full of Coal

(ultra rare)

It looks like a harmless stocking, but the coal inside is bound to hurt!
Stocking Full of Coal

(ultra rare)