I just wanted to brag

babayaga67

18 hours ago, Sarah_S said:

This looks beautiful! What flavor is inside?

It was a fudge chocolate flavor from a box. This was my practice cake so I was not worried about how it tasted.

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

How did the unicorn cake turn out?

I did not have a chance to make the unicorn cake. I decided to wait until Christmas for the unicorn. I will most definitely post a picture for that.

I am making a wonder woman cake tonight for a friend, hence the practice. I am going to make it a white cake for wonder woman because that is my best tasting "from scratch" recipe.

2 hours ago, TokaValencia said:

Beautiful, almost looks too good to eat. ? ? The colors of the frosting are really vibrant, the blue and red pop out! 

Thank you! I wanted to practice with the wonder woman colors, so I went full American flag for labor day :)

1 hour ago, Kute said:

Very nice! The fondant looks very clean.  I could never get the white to actually be white.

The recipe that I use is marshmallows, powder sugar and a dash of vegetable shortening. It starts out as white as white can get.

I gave my kids the left over fondant and some cookie cutters to play with. It's just like play dough, but it's not toxic so I don't have to worry about my 1 year old having to make a hospital trip.

9 hours ago, DragonPhoenix said:

Very nicely done! I work in a bakery and we don't do that style of frosting, so I've tried to teach myself in my spare time so I can do fancy cakes for friends parties and weddings and such, and it's quite the challenge. Good job!

I have never worked in a bakery. I have worked in several restaurants, but none of which made their deserts in house. I am self taught. I do not consider myself anything but an amateur. I do not have the confidence to not destroy someone's poor wedding cake. I would feel so guilty.

@jellysundae I have no idea. I have always used marshmallows, but I don't think that that is the only recipe. 

Edit: I had to go to work in the middle of making the wonder woman cake. Nothing was put together yet, but everything was made. I came home from work to find a giant chunk missing out of one of the 8" cakes! My oldest son was completely honest about it though. As mad as I initially was, I didn't punish him at all because he didn't lie to mommy.

Edited by babayaga67

• 5 weeks later...

Hey @jellysundae, @aleu1986, @Kute, @TokaValencia, @DragonPhoenix, @kristanoel, @Sarah_S, @Mouseykins, @Rayd1978, @emily_speck_15, @tk421beth, @hpb63094, @charelan, and @Aquamentis12! This is my most recent creation!

I am having trouble figuring out how to post all of these images in one post. I do not want to double post, but TDN(or it could be my computer) won't let me add more than one image in this post...

cake 1.jpg

This one is a picture of some kids next to the cake so that you can have some perspective on how massive this thing was.

cake 3.jpg

@Vlagopus - It took me about a week to make all of the pieces, and then another thirty hours to build it.

@Kute The hard part was getting it out of the house. We couldn't fit it through the front door, so we went out a window. We transported it in the bed of a truck. I rode in the back with the cake. After we arrived I finished decorating it on site. I didn't trust the ninjas o dragon to stay on the cake while it was in motion.

Here's a different picture where you can see one ninja who is kicking someone in the head, and another doing the crane. These two were my personal favorite little guys. I spent more time on the green ninjas because I didn't realize how long everything was going to take.

cake 2.jpg

@micheee heck no! I seriously undercharged for that cake. If anyone else wants something like that prices start at 1,200. Yes, that is a lot, but it takes me a week and a half and costs me over 600 in materials. It was fun, but I also lost over 20 hours of sleep and I had to lock my children up in their room for almost an entire day so that they wouldn't mess it up. I felt like a terrible mommy because, even though I went back there to spend time with them, I couldn't let my kids run around the house. Plus, this cake was due on Sunday, then I had another cake that I had to make for Tuesday. I didn't take any pictures of the Tuesday one though. I was too sleep deprived at that point.

@aleu1986 Thank you :)

@babayaga67 gosh, yeah its not just the cost of materials but all the time and effort you have to put into making these cakes. It already looks tedious watching tv shows about baking I couldn't imagine doing it on your own and in your own kitchen. 

Will you still continue making regular cakes for now and maybe when the kids get bigger go back into making more elaborate ones? Cause you have talent! 

@micheee yes, I will keep making regular cakes (single and two tier). I feel like I have a very long way to go before I can consider myself proficient. I am trying to decide what I want to do for the Halloween cake that I am going to make for the guys at my work (If you can call my 2 hour a week vacation from my kids work). I am thinking haunted house because I had fun with the roof on the dojo, but a spider web type also sounds like fun... We will see :)

What an amazing creation! You did a fantastic job. I love all the details and the compilation of different materials. Well done! Huge projects like this are often incredibly stressful, but I'm glad you're planing to keep creating because you obviously have a real knack for this type of things. I like to experiment with different styles and trying new things for family birthdays, holidays, etc because it takes some of the pressure off to make the first attempt at something perfect. I've taught myself a lot by making mistakes as I go along :)

And yes, I totally sympathize because kids and cakes don't mix! I don't know how old your littles are but when my son was three he ruined a cake I'd made for a coworker's birthday and had sitting on the counter while I hunted for the right container to transport it in. I had explicitly told him to stay out of the kitchen but honestly he was three, so it was mostly my fault. He wanted to look at it and he dragged his stepstool over to the counter and climbed up, then lost his balance and fell right into the cake. Luckily he wasn't hurt but I was up all night making the replacement!

Keep showing off your projects here, I can't wait to see what you do next! :)