Average Points?

So I've seen posts in other threads mention that consistently scoring 10+ points is a red flag for cheating.

I play left to right, 2 by 2, start hovering my mouse just past the ball and typically try to slide in for a grab. (Well, very first play hover mouse over the upper player so they'll actually move, then quickly slide over to the ball.)  Then run for the goal, lining up about 1/3 to 1/4 from the bottom, or about where the center circle bends near the bottom.   Straight shots almost always get past the goalie.   If the initial run doesn't work, prioritize power ups and use sliding grabs to steal the ball and try to line up again.   Fairy balls tend to shoot straight from the middle and hope they curve around the goalie, Darigan balls point down from the top and hope it fires sideways into the goal.

With this method I tend to score 8-10 points while giving up 0-2.   Exceptions, of course, happen.

What strategies do you use, and what sort of scores do you get?

I believe the "consistently scoring 10+ points is a red flag for cheating" is not referring to individual YYB game scores (meaning not the scores you personally post), but for the team's overall winning score against another team. For example, if you look at Terror Mountain's scores from yesterday, 26 June, (http://www.neopets.com/altador/colosseum/schedule.phtml?day=all) against Tyrannia, we (TM) lost to Tyrannina in Yooyuball 5-8, won Slushie Slinger 8-7, lost Make Some Noise 7-9, and lost Shootout Showdown 7-8. It seems, as I've seen on some Neoboards, that team scores of 10+ indicate "outside" help, as those "high" scores are not normally seen/achievable, without some sort of other influence.

As far as your individual scores, I believe they are average. At least, that is what I normally get. And I don't believe anyone has been flagged, or will be flagged for posting those types of individual scores.

I play left to right, but 1-3, and try to score as many goals as I can. I use the bottom, right corner of the "pitch" as a guide, and run parallel with it, powering up the Yooyuball as I go, and launch it towards the goal. By doing that, I don't aim straight for dead center of the goal, but for the bottom, right corner of it. That, usually, is out of the way of the goalie.

6 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

With this method I tend to score 8-10 points while giving up 0-2.   Exceptions, of course, happen.

The same with me, @Rayd1978 , using the 2 + 2 and can usually scoop the YYB first to get 5-6 goals without much obstruction, and then it becomes outrunning the opponent or stealing the YYB back. But I send 8-10 goals mostly, with usually only giving up 0-2 to the other team. I hope they don't think that's a signal for cheating, bc having to go through the reCapcha pictures prove-you're-not-a-robot is crazy enough & takes up time. I was 24 points away from Ranking up but the change of day came & I'm beat. Then to see that my team KI lost all the games to Meridell, that is really discouraging. ? I just hope they don't make our scores a point of suspicion on top of all the effort we're putting in, like TNT/JS STOP SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF GAMES FOR ME!  techo_fanatic_scream.gif    I really need to go sleep now! 

It's really heartening to know that my typical scores are the same as you guys!

Scoob's right about the 10+ scoring (he often is you know?)  I'd be interested to know if there was an individual score level that triggered a cheater alert. I know @Aquamentis12 has been pushing themselves to see what they can manage and can score way more than I could ever dream of, 17+. What are your thoughts on this?

I'd have thought that only stupid cheaters would send unrealistically high personal scores because that would surely be picked up on immediately. With the cheating it seems to be all about quantity over quality?  Many many average scores . . .

I would think timing might play a factor.  If 2 Yooyuball scores are posted within 3 minutes of each other, something fishy is happening, since a game lasts over 3 minutes.  I would assume most cheaters are too smart for that.  But if every score is posted exactly 4 minutes 15 seconds apart... that sort of accuracy doesn't happen.   If every game is 11-2, 10-1, or 8-0 with no other scores... red flag.   At least, that's what I suspect.

As for high scores, I got a 13-0, but don't know what's possible.  I know I can score a goal at 2:58, but I think the timer runs a little while things reset, so likely need a minimum of 5 seconds per goal, if you do everything perfect.  That would makes for 35-0 possible in theory, but I suspect the AI gets a little more aggressive when there's a strong lead.

1 hour ago, Rayd1978 said:

That would makes for 35-0 possible in theory,

? I'm just imagining how INTENSE that game would be, yikes!

I imagine it throwing Darigan Yooyus at you one after another to try and redress the balance. ?

3 hours ago, Rayd1978 said:

I would think timing might play a factor.  If 2 Yooyuball scores are posted within 3 minutes of each other, something fishy is happening, since a game lasts over 3 minutes.  I would assume most cheaters are too smart for that.  But if every score is posted exactly 4 minutes 15 seconds apart... that sort of accuracy doesn't happen.   If every game is 11-2, 10-1, or 8-0 with no other scores... red flag.   At least, that's what I suspect.

As for high scores, I got a 13-0, but don't know what's possible.  I know I can score a goal at 2:58, but I think the timer runs a little while things reset, so likely need a minimum of 5 seconds per goal, if you do everything perfect.  That would makes for 35-0 possible in theory, but I suspect the AI gets a little more aggressive when there's a strong lead.

Every time you get a new yooyu (regardless of whether you scored, your opponent scored, or a clockwork yooyu blows up without anyone scoring), 8 seconds is removed from the timer, so it takes a minimum of 10 seconds for each goal. The maximum possible score would be 18-0, which is the highest I've ever heard of anyone scoring. Theoretically, it may be possible to squeeze in one last goal if you had a truly miraculous combination of powerups, but I've never heard of that actually happening. 

I would definitely agree that the timing is what's probably looked at in terms of cheating. If the games are happening too close together, that would indicate to me that someone might be playing multiple games at once. That would be a bigger indicator than the actual scores, imo. 

As for me personally, I usually score somewhere from 9-12 goals per game. My average at the moment is 10.1, and my best-ever score is 14-1. Strategy-wise, I play right to left using a 1x3 formation. Immediately when the game starts, I rush forward to steal the ball, charge up, and shoot just slightly down from center to the goalie's right side. I can usually score 3-4 times in a row that way before the other team starts getting more aggressive and manages to steal the ball from me. 

5 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Scoob's right about the 10+ scoring (he often is you know?)  I'd be interested to know if there was an individual score level that triggered a cheater alert. I know @Aquamentis12 has been pushing themselves to see what they can manage and can score way more than I could ever dream of, 17+. What are your thoughts on this?

I'd have thought that only stupid cheaters would send unrealistically high personal scores because that would surely be picked up on immediately. With the cheating it seems to be all about quantity over quality?  Many many average scores . . .

I don't think they really look at individual players that much - at least not this year, now that they're neither freezing nor flagging people who they suspect of cheating; they're aware of the cheating that's going on (hardtotame posted a topic about it on the neoboards recently), but they're incapable of doing much about it, beyond the Captcha's (which hardtotame says are working).

I think the cheating focuses on quantity, not quality. From what I gather, the cheating is done by making a ton of shell accounts and using score senders, to get as many scores in as possible.

As for how I play: I play left to right, 3-1 and try to alternate how I approach the Yooyu. (I feel that if I approach it from the same direction a few times in a row, my opponent will anticipate what I'm about to do, but that might just be in my head.) My average goal count is also around 10. I once won with 14-0, but that's really rare for me. I admire the people who can score 15+ goals a game!

42 minutes ago, Nielo said:

As for how I play: I play left to right, 3-1 and try to alternate how I approach the Yooyu. (I feel that if I approach it from the same direction a few times in a row, my opponent will anticipate what I'm about to do, but that might just be in my head.)

Oh you know that makes a lot of sense, and I know this at least tried to get my attention in my head when I played against Virtupets the first time this year, because of how their cybunny captain ran across my flank and swiped the ball so often. But changing my M.O. was more than my brain could deal with. :blush02: I tried, but got all kinds of confused, so had to go back to my usual method.

46 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Oh you know that makes a lot of sense, and I know this at least tried to get my attention in my head when I played against Virtupets the first time this year, because of how their cybunny captain ran across my flank and swiped the ball so often. But changing my M.O. was more than my brain could deal with. :blush02: I tried, but got all kinds of confused, so had to go back to my usual method.

I completely understand, and when I play on autopilot, I probably don't change my M.O. as much as I'd like (/think). (And that Cybunny is just super annoying.)

I do swap around my opening a little.  Slide in at an angle, slide straight in, walk in and down... mix it up a little because I do think the AI starts to learn your style.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:39 AM, jellysundae said:

I've scored 17 goals with no issues, except for an error in sending the very first 17 goal win. But that was the only time and I probably needed to refresh the game's page or something. The error code was the one where it advises the player to close and re-open the pop-up, or in this case, the Window.

I have screenshotted every scoreboard with 10 goals or higher. So, I can say with certainty that I only had ten games of 9 or fewer goals out of about 360 games that I got/had time to play. This year anyway. lol Still one of my better seasons, score-wise. Wish I had had more time to get more games in though. As the opponents usually get more difficult after every 4th goal you score, I have different ways of approaching the yooyu. Basically, for the first 4, I go get the yooyu first, move around long enough to build up power and fire from about mid-field to the goal. For yooyus 5 on up, I generally LET the other team grab it first. Since when they tackle/steal, if they are close enough they WILL SUCCESSFULLY steal from you pretty close to 100% of the time. I have different "routes" I take depending on the type of yooyu, how far into the game it is, time remaining, and my instincts for where the rear defense will go (up or down). I don't always guess correctly. But it IS possible to score 12 points in the first 2 minutes of play. I've done that, where each shot takes 2 seconds off the clock, and then there's the 8 second loss that occurs after EVERY goal, regardless of which team scores. I usually "choke" during that second minute. The final minute, only slightly less. lol I had a couple of games where it LOOKED like I might have a shot at proving or disproving my theory that 18 is possible, but then I choked, including a player for the other team off-screen that intercepted the yooyu, and lost precious few seconds, which kills the chance for even trying for 18, letalone 17 usually.