Yay, for birthdays????

Aquamentis12

It's hard to believe, but, another year of life has passed, and I have officially been on this planet for 37 years, starting on the 38th as of today. ?

Unfortunately, it WOULD have to be TODAY when the weather decided to make the meteorologists RIGHT, and rain. -_- Oh well, Mom is coming in for a visit and we're going to this really nice place for supper. Back home for some ice cream, (hopefully the ice cream shop won't be TOO busy on such a rainy day), and then later I'll follow my normal routine and try to get something sketched at this place I like to hangout at.

Birthdays sure can be weird sometimes. While I believe that everyone should be treated well, especially on their birthday, I also realize that they are nearly meaningless in the larger sense. Because frankly, there are billions of people who have no idea whose birthday it is on any given day. It's kind of humbling in a sense. I mean, I know, or know of, at least 5 other people who share today as their birthday. I'm no longer in contact with most of them, one was a classmate, one is family, and the others I know from Online. What makes a birthday special, is not really the individual, as we may think since they often get presents to open, but IMO, who makes a birthday really special are those around the person whose birthday it is. Knowing people care and the niceties shared with the birthday boy or girl, that's what truly makes birthdays special, and are the best presents anyone could receive! At least, that's what I think. ?

What do you guys think? :)

Happy birthday! I have a friend who turned 18 today meaning I can't use the "when I was your age" joke until next May. I feel like the facebook messages saying happy birthday really don't mean much. What means a lot is spending time with someone, even if it's just five minutes, or calling them to wish them a happy birthday or sending a card. Or in my case sending a neomail because I dragged my friend into Neopets and he has promised to go so far as to neomail me if I try to drop off the face of the earth after graduation.

I feel like birthdays are like most holidays, if it's the only day you say hi to someone or ask them how they are doing, you aren't doing a good job as a friend/family member. With all the technology we have today, it's the little things that show you care that count.

Happy Birthday!

I think birthdays are special in a way. I mean, it's just another day and I don't really celebrate my own, but whenever someone wishes you a happy birthday it still feels very nice because you are remembered. I can't believe that not everyone likes to feel a bit special. And that's exactly what it is. It doesn't really bother me when people forget my birthday but when they remember it feels very nice.

Happy Birthday Aquamentis :)

im not much younger than you are ... 

i stopped celebrating my Birthday after my 30th ... i don't know why but i feel it kinda is pointless now 

but I HOPE you enjoy your day .. and Ice Cream :D

Happy Birthday Brian! I know exactly what you mean... especially when you think about the fact that a lot of cultures don't even celebrate birthdays.

It's definitely about knowing people care and the little things they do ?

I hope you have a terrific day with your mom and that you have a really productive time sketching, too!

Have a happy birthday ?

Birthdays do tend to mean less as you spend longer on this planet. As a kid family hype them up enormously so you get super excited for them. I remember wearing my big I AM 8 badge off one of my cards to school on Monday, even though my birthday had been at the weekend, because I wanted people to see it. I also remember feeling like I was being really naughty because it wasn't actually my birthday any more. ? Those badges are just making a statement though, aren't they. It was accurate, I was 8, lol. But my doing that kind of encapsulates how important birthdays are when you're a kid, but they're only so important because of the fuss created by the people around you.

Once you've moved through the years where birthdays have large significances in your life - like being legally allowed to do things now - they do lose a lot of their former importance to you.

And once you start hitting "milestone" ages that end in zero . . . ? PFFT!

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Have a happy birthday ?

Birthdays do tend to mean less as you spend longer on this planet. As a kid family hype them up enormously so you get super excited for them. I remember wearing my big I AM 8 badge off one of my cards to school on Monday, even though my birthday had been at the weekend, because I wanted people to see it. I also remember feeling like I was being really naughty because it wasn't actually my birthday any more. ? Those badges are just making a statement though, aren't they. It was accurate, I was 8, lol. But my doing that kind of encapsulates how important birthdays are when you're a kid, but they're only so important because of the fuss created by the people around you.

Once you've moved through the years where birthdays have large significances in your life - like being legally allowed to do things now - they do lose a lot of their former importance to you.

And once you start hitting "milestone" ages that end in zero . . . ? PFFT!

Not sure, I bet the hyping has something to do with it as a kid, but my parents never really did much for birthdays. My mom would bake a cake and we got to blow out candles until we were 10. Once we hit that first 0 ending year, we got told that there weren't enough candles anymore :P  She would still bake a cake or we could decide what we wanted to eat for dinner but not much more. I was already happy when everyone at home told me "happy birthday" when I woke up and greeted everyone (like we did every morning when we would see them for the first time that day). and not when it was almost time for bed. That has happened too. You just want everyone to remember and say something, at least you want it from your close family.  If no one says anything you just feel forgotten I suppose. As a grownup, you kinda don't want to age, so you don't really care when they forget, but you still feel nice and remembered when they don't. At least, that's how it is for me (and as long as they don't remind me how old I'm turning. I'm as old as I feel and that's a lot younger than my actual age lol)

31 minutes ago, Duma said:

and as long as they don't remind me how old I'm turning

I intend to have words with my mum and sister about this very thing, lol. ?

PLEASE no more cards that trumpet my age. I shall return the favour. Don't give me a card that yells 50 at me in 3 years time (50?! W.T.F seriously, I'm 35, aren't I? :huh:), and I won't give my sister one that shrieks 40 in 5 years time, or my mum one that positively bellows 70 in 4 years. Seems fair to me.

It's not even so much that I don't want it rubbing in my face, though that's undeniably part of it, it's mainly how truly AWFUL those kind of cards always are.

43 minutes ago, Duma said:

Once we hit that first 0 ending year, we got told that there weren't enough candles anymore :P

Lol parents . . . that's right up there with "the ice cream van plays music when it's run out of ice creams," nonsense.

I don't even celebrate birthdays anymore. My boyfriend phoned me earlier to wish me happy unbirthday :dance:

l parents . . . that's right up there with "the ice cream van plays music when it's run out of ice creams," nonsense.

Wait you mean that's not true, lol!  I've been told that one too. Did your mother ever say to you 'Don't come running to me if you break your legs'?

16 minutes ago, phill said:

I don't even celebrate birthdays anymore. My boyfriend phoned me earlier to wish me happy unbirthday :dance:

Wait you mean that's not true, lol!  I've been told that one too. Did your mother ever say to you 'Don't come running to me if you break your legs'?

Well happy unbirthday to you! It took me a while to notice the "un" there, but I did! :D

LOL, my mum never pulled the ice cream van trolling (because she never bought me ice cream, one way to avoid it, right?) but it's definitely a "thing", isn't it!

'Don't come running to me if you break your legs'? this kind of parental illogic is great, isn't it? :laugh: I'm quite sure she'll have said that, yes! I can hear my nan saying it in my head too.

It's definitely a thing. I don't like icecream, so my mother got out of it anyway, haha.

I went to the icecream van a while ago with my nephew (what is it with them playing xylophone versions of Greensleeves anyway?) and I nearly fell over dead at the price of an icecream van icecream now!!!

17 minutes ago, phill said:

It's definitely a thing. I don't like icecream, so my mother got out of it anyway, haha.

I went to the icecream van a while ago with my nephew (what is it with them playing xylophone versions of Greensleeves anyway?) and I nearly fell over dead at the price of an icecream van icecream now!!!

Did you have to actually sell your nephew to be able to pay for it? I don't suppose you can get a cornet with a flake for 99p any more. ?

Greensleeves is maybe what all vans come with by default, lol. One that came round where I grew up in Bournemouth played the Match of the Day theme. ?

HA!! Not a unique thing, clearly!

2 minutes ago, phill said:

Cornet with a flake for 99p? More like will that be cash or credit card or will you be opening a vein? lol

I was gonna ask if there was contactless payment. ?

Happy Birthday Brian. Hope you and mom had a great day! Mine is kind of a funny story, @jellysundae has heard it many times.  lol.  But before I get to it, I will say, Holidays in general don't have as much meaning to me as they did when I was a child. They have become too commercialized.  My husband KNOWS not to buy me something because it is Valentine's Day or it is Mother's Day, etc.  I want to be appreciated, for who I am, every day, because you appreciate me.  Not because some company makes a card that says you have to appreciate me on a certain day and forget about the rest of the days.  Or because society says that's what you do.  Likewise, when someone is in the hospital, people come out of the woodwork to visit them!  Really!  lol. They need to rest.  That's why they are there.  They don't get much rest there as it is, the LAST thing they need is to feel like they need to entertain all kinds of people.  Where were you all when I was well??  Now that I am sick, you are bugging me in the hospital when I don't feel well and need to rest.  That's my two cent on those subjects.

My birthday.  Well I mean, sheesh, the whole United States celebrates my birthday!  They started preparing for ME 200 years before I was born.  They said, On July 4th, 200 years from now, a GREAT WOMAN is going to be born, we need to prepare, because she is going to be a firecracker.  And that I am.  So they have parades and parties for me.  Fire works signal my birth.  ROTFL.  My older brother was always so jealous that I had fireworks and parades on my birthday and he did not.  It wasn't until I was about 7 or 8 that I realized all this hoopla was not actually for ME!!!? That was quite devastating.  But heck, I still have the coolest birthdate in the world.  My niece was born on my 30th birthday.  I said to my sister in law, she can have it now.  I am passing the torch?. No more birthdays for me.  So, this will be 15+ years without a birthday.  30 again! :rock:

7 hours ago, rntracy1 said:

My niece was born on my 30th birthday.  I said to my sister in law, she can have it now.  I am passing the torch?. No more birthdays for me.  So, this will be 15+ years without a birthday.  30 again! :rock:

As Queen Tracy of the United States this is entirely within your rights! Most definitely comes under the royal prerogative I'd have thought. :D

@Aquamentis12 You and I have the same birthday. :D (I'm just a few years behind you.)

I do kinda miss getting that special "It's my birthday!" feeling I used to get when I was a kid. These days it's just like any other day, except I happen to get a few more messages from people I haven't spoken to in a while. ?