Day 17 - Flycatcher

hrtbrk

i had a great first game and scored 849 (so close)

but then i read the guide and got confused

it says only aim for blue flies

but then the rest of the flies get to the bottom and kill me

also how do you actually eat the bee ? i lash at them with my tongue and they still come and sting me 

17 minutes ago, Angeló said:

i had a great first game and scored 849 (so close)

but then i read the guide and got confused

it says only aim for blue flies

but then the rest of the flies get to the bottom and kill me

also how do you actually eat the bee ? i lash at them with my tongue and they still come and sting me 

Going to be honest here.... the guide is probably out of date and wrong. I too was confused as to what they meant when it said only eat specific flies and ignore the others. I don't even think that's possible either.

The bee does have a weird hitbox and the tongue goes through them sometimes so I try to shoot up to him if I can, otherwise I just ignore/dodge.

i think the score is achievable by level 8 - 9 

no need to get to level 10 even 

but i will try to play again on my own terms and see where i get 

EDIT 

I played on big screen and towards the later levels (5 - 6) i died once on purpose and that boosted my score 

Level 7 allowed me to get a 1000+ score ... you can simply die on purpose and the score will accumulate

Don't forget the code "deliciousflies" for an extra life .. it really comes in handy later in the game 

TIP

Try not to hold / keep your finger on the space bar , esp. in later levels , even though it keeps your tongue out , you need to be able to move quickly to avoid the speeding bee and to meet the flies as they get dangerously close by maneuvering the lilies .. i used quick strokes to get short bursts of tongue that can eat several flies in a row 

2 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Reading the comments in here, I don't even want to try this game. >_<

it's easier than it looks 

just avoid the bee 

and eat the flies

no need to do much more

13 minutes ago, Angeló said:

it's easier than it looks 

just avoid the bee 

and eat the flies

no need to do much more

I am trying it, yup! Scored 67 on first level. I love the cute dancing around the Quiggle's doing while he's waiting for me to start Level 2. ^_^

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I am trying it, yup! Scored 67 on first level. I love the cute dancing around the Quiggle's doing while he's waiting for me to start Level 2. ^_^

67 is great .. i usually score between 44 and 50 

:) 

keep at it .. there are more flies in the later levels and more points to be gained

42 minutes ago, Angeló said:

67 is great .. i usually score between 44 and 50 

?

keep at it .. there are more flies in the later levels and more points to be gained

I got 100 and something on that first game and called it good, lol. I like the mechanics of the game which is basically Space Invaders only prettier, isn't it, but I didn't want to keep on playing it.

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

I got 100 and something on that first game and called it good, lol. I like the mechanics of the game which is basically Space Invaders only prettier, isn't it, but I didn't want to keep on playing it.

it IS a classic , yes .. our generation had so much fun playing Space Invaders in the Arcade , didn't we ? :) 

4 hours ago, Kute said:

I am so thankful for those that put their helpful hints here ? cant wait to start the challenge!

hope you managed to beat it :) 

2 hours ago, Angeló said:

it IS a classic , yes .. our generation had so much fun playing Space Invaders in the Arcade , didn't we ? ?

hope you managed to beat it ?

I did! Wasnt too bad ? I might have to spend some time practicing that game for a trophy. 

For those who are having trouble as I did, focus on eating the flowers and possible wasps that may come near you and once the flies are half way through start eating the 1st one that is red,best time when they hit a flower or wall,but be warned after eating the red fly three times in a row in less than 2seconds the flies will change direction.

Finally the most important tip type deliciousflies BUT ONLY when you have ONLY 1 life left after you lost your second life,the game screen will ask you to click space but instead type DELICIOUSFLIES ,by doing so you will gain 3 extra lives instead of one and in theory, you shouldn't have any problems making it over 900pts.

12 hours ago, jellysundae said:

It's more like Centipede, without the arcade trackball control, and the bee doesn't add more lily pads. No spiders or scorpions, either. In Centipede, the "flea" would drop vertically, leaving/adding more mushrooms in it's path, and spiders would "dance" around the screen.

The part I keep forgetting is you can't move your Quiggle, while his tongue is still out. I thought my computer wasn't responding, or the game was lagging. So, if the Quiggle's tongue is half-way up the screen, and the bee is coming towards you, you may not be able to move to avoid getting hit by the bee, until the Quiggle's tongue is back.

11 hours ago, Angeló said:

it IS a classic , yes .. our generation had so much fun playing Space Invaders in the Arcade , didn't we ? ?

7 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

It's more like Centipede, without the arcade trackball control, and the bee doesn't add more lily pads. No spiders or scorpions, either. In Centipede, the "flea" would drop vertically, leaving/adding more mushrooms in it's path, and spiders would "dance" around the screen.

My mum wouldn't let me go in arcades. ?

The "joys" of being a girl, right?

I didn't pick up on the flower-eating aspect of this game until half-way through level 2, same with realising the bees follow a route rather than just going back and forth and gradually getting lower. With a game like this, for my braining level there's a lot going on. If I wasn't impaired I think I'd enjoy this one and play it regularly but as it was it mildly stressed me out. ?