Basics of Trading Neocash NC Items

I have no experience trading Neocash (NC) items. I have purchased a few over the years from the mall using NC won on the Expellibox. I also recently gifted an NC item to a friend. Is there a page or thread somewhere teaching the right way to do the trading? I have seen wish lists on another site. Is it all just a long process of contacting people one by one to see what they want for each item or is there a site comparing asking prices? I'm also wondering if anyone has had good luck using NC to get an item they thought would be worth more later and then successfully trading for something of higher value than the NC they spent for the original item. Also, is it possible to use Neocash to get an NC item in a trade, such as offering 100 NC in a gift box? I'd like to get NC back for some items that I don't want, if possible.

Well, if you've already bought NC items from the mall and used gift boxes to send them to friends, then you know the absolute basics. Still, here is TDN's very introductory guide to the NC world: http://thedailyneopets.com/customization-wearables/trading/. Particularly useful is the "commonly used trading lingo" section. 

For a guide more specifically about NC trading, check out this petpage: http://www.neopets.com/~luculla. That should tell you pretty much anything you need to know. Of course, you can only learn so much from reading. Once you've familiarized yourself with the general idea and most of the terms, then go ahead and try making a trade. It'll become clearer once you've actually done it. 

To answer your other specific questions...

Is it all just a long process of contacting people one by one to see what they want for each item or is there a site comparing asking prices?
Check out http://www.neopets.com/~rheet and http://www.neopets.com/~waka, which are both NC value guides. These pages give the value of all (or most) NC items in terms of GBCs. Most trades are for items worth roughly equal amounts of GBCs. Of course, the value can differ from person to person depending on if they are particularly attached to a certain item and reluctant to trade it, or really want an item you have and willing to offer higher than its actual value to get it. If you have a trade in mind, you can suggest it to the other person, and they'll either accept or decline. If you don't have a trade in mind, you can just say what you're looking for or what you're willing to offer, and have the other person tell you what they want to get or give in exchange. 

I'm also wondering if anyone has had good luck using NC to get an item they thought would be worth more later and then successfully trading for something of higher value than the NC they spent for the original item.
Personally I don't have experience with this, although obviously some items do end up being worth much more than the original NC they were purchased for. An example of this is Armin's Collectors Contacts, which seem to have become very popular immediately after they were released. However, my advice would be not to spend NC on anything unless you actually want it for yourself. Since you are spending real money, I wouldn't recommend trying to 'invest' in something that may or may not increase in value. 

Also, is it possible to use Neocash to get an NC item in a trade, such as offering 100 NC in a gift box? I'd like to get NC back for some items that I don't want, if possible.
Unfortunately, no. The closest thing to this is offering a 'custom' as part of a trade, which means that the person offering the custom will buy specific items currently available in the mall in exchange for an item that the other trader has. So you couldn't give someone an item in exchange for actual NC, but you could ask them to buy you something from the mall that you want, instead of asking for an item they already have. But be sure to only do this if they've already offered to do a custom trade. It would be pretty rude of you to ask them to spend real money if they didn't offer first. 

Like I said, the fastest way is to learn by doing. It can be nerve-racking, especially when you first dip your toe into those fast-moving NCC boards. But be brave, and you'll figure it out. Most traders are very nice. And I'm sure other TDNers will have more advice for you too! 

We also have a Trading Guide as well that may help you out.

http://thedailyneopets.com/customization-wearables/trading/