Nay on killing my computer

Kute

OKAY so I'm not really one to complain, but I need to exhale this frustration. Yesterday I nudged my cup of coffee with my elbow and it spilled a bit onto my macbook. I quickly cleaned it, but moments later as I was going to reply to a post I noticed my L key was not working. Great........ -___- I had already replaced the keyboard once before and it cost me over 400 dollars. Of course this macbook is already 8 years old, but I seriously love it so much and it has never ever given me problems other than a new keyboard. So i tried drying it better, but it made things worse. More keys stopped working. The internet said to turn it upside down, let it dry out, and of course turn it off and then after a day try it again. But when I turned it off, it didnt turn back on. So its dead. 

So i was freaking out because for the same price as a new windows computer I could try to get what ever was wrong with my mac fixed, but it was already a grandpa as far as laptops go so im not sure it would be worth it... also - i just dont have the money for a new mac at the moment. Also I need a computer ASAP for school. Also apple store sucks and it would take me weeks to get an appointment to get it looked at.

I ended up running to a store and buying a HP ENVY and its kinda slowly turning me into an angry coconut. Not sure if I hate it, or I just really miss my mac. Everything is different. The mouse touchpad thingy is the most annoying, also now I also have this new fear of viruses. LOL. I suck at windows. :(  I hope I get used to it.

This takes me back! I shared a glass of wine with my desktop's keyboard once, it SO wasn't impressed. So PCs are teetotal, who knew?! :bigeyed:

At least all I had to replace was the keyboard, you have my sympathy with losing your whole laptop. Don't hate on this new one too much though, I'm convinced they know, and do their best to make you pay for that. :ph34r:

I have no sad stories that I can remember about me pouring stuff on my computer that caused it permanent damage. I currently don't have a spacebar because my son tore it off and lost it. It can be pretty annoying to have to aim for that tiny button but at least everything else still works.

I do have an old acquaintance who told me a story once. He had just bought a brand new mac book and was sitting down checking his e-mail. His two year old son came up to him, looked down at the mac book and said, "Puter thirsty!" Before he could react the two year old had picked up his coffee mug and dumped it out all over the keyboard. He paid 1400 for two days of use.

1 hour ago, babayaga67 said:

I have no sad stories that I can remember about me pouring stuff on my computer that caused it permanent damage. I currently don't have a spacebar because my son tore it off and lost it. It can be pretty annoying to have to aim for that tiny button but at least everything else still works.

I do have an old acquaintance who told me a story once. He had just bought a brand new mac book and was sitting down checking his e-mail. His two year old son came up to him, looked down at the mac book and said, "Puter thirsty!" Before he could react the two year old had picked up his coffee mug and dumped it out all over the keyboard. He paid 1400 for two days of use.

oh my gosh. both stories are hilarious. At least mine got good use! 

"Puter thirsty?" LOL I can't help but LAUGH! Cute, but expensive! A friend of mine lost her macbook in a similar fashion, tiny spill that cost her the WHOLE thing. And everything on it. :(

@Kute I'm sorry for your loss. It seems that Macbooks are notoriously bad with spills. That's what my friend ssaid she found out when she accidentally killed her's. :(

I'm pretty much a life-long Windows user. (though my first comp was a Laser-brand) My first PC was around 1995. Came with Windows 3.1, still my FAVORITE OS, and Kings Quest 6, which had pretty AMAZING graphics for it's day!

I've lost hard drives and comps before to age and stuff. Once had a slight brown-out, and it left the primary hard drive alone, but pretty much nuked my secondary drive, which was where I stored ALL of my writings and art. I never counted the pages, but I KNOW I lost at least if not over 100 pages of various writings. And I lost a lot of artwork I was working on. I would've TOTALLY preferred losing the main drive, OR even the ENTIRE computer, instead of that secondary drive.

I've had to replace keyboards and mice too.

Drive recovery can be pricey too. One drive we lost, again with ALL my work on it, this was before flash drives, but because it had my Dad's info on it too, including a ton of scanning he had done for a mortgage refi, we agreed to get the drive recovered and share the cost.  Being a residential and not commercial hard drive. It came to about $1300 I think, maybe a bit less. We used a company called Kroll Ontrack. The expense ALSO included the price of a NEW hard drive to put the recovered data on. They shipped a return package first, including a static-free bag and box for the hard drive. You pack it up send it out, and they contact you after the assessment, and ask any questions they may have, and then proceed after that contact.

I only JUST had to replace that drive with the recovered data on it about a year or two ago, after about a decade. Roughly DOUBLE the average life expectancy. What's surprising, is that I'm very HARD on my computer. I'm usually doing several things at once, or at least having several things open that I can jump around, or multitask if I want. So it's a surprise the old drive didn't die sooner. ;)

The brand of Hard Drive they put the recovered data on was Western Digital. The local computer tech who transferred the data to a new hard drive, said that Western Digital is one of the best brands. in the past I have had some issue with hard drives, even a western digital, but after that recovered drive, and since, I haven't had any real issues with WD drives in recent memory.

Good luck with Windows! I don't have windows 10, but my mom does, and I can see it being a steepish learning curve if you aren't used to the Windows format. I'm not a huge fan of Windows 10, I prefer Windows 8.1, comparatively. But if you need a computer for school, then you need one for school. So I'll wish you the best of luck!

Random thought but have you tried covering it in rice? Covering it in rice will absorb the extra moisture from the inside. I've used rice to dry out an iPhone my daughter dropped in a pail of water for several hours. After a couple days in rice it worked perfectly. But if it's already dead it may be a long shot.

I'm a Mac girl through and through and will NOT settle for a windows computer at all, regardless of the cost. It's either Mac or nothing. When my MacBook Pro cratered a few years ago,  it was still under warranty thankfully and I was given a decent amount to replace it. The tech handling my case asked what I was looking for and I said a Mac and he asked why and I just said because I hate windows. I hate all the problems with it with viruses and programs and Mac is just so much smoother in my opinion.

I hope you can get your Macbook fixed and continue to use it for school, rather than having to get a new one.

3 hours ago, babayaga67 said:

I do have an old acquaintance who told me a story once. He had just bought a brand new mac book and was sitting down checking his e-mail. His two year old son came up to him, looked down at the mac book and said, "Puter thirsty!" Before he could react the two year old had picked up his coffee mug and dumped it out all over the keyboard. He paid 1400 for two days of use.

My daughter yanked off my V key several years ago and chewed it. I ordered a replacement from https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/ and it was fairly cheap. That might be an option for you instead of replacing the entire thing.

15 hours ago, Aquamentis12 said:

"Puter thirsty?" LOL I can't help but LAUGH! Cute, but expensive! A friend of mine lost her macbook in a similar fashion, tiny spill that cost her the WHOLE thing. And everything on it. :(

@Kute I'm sorry for your loss. It seems that Macbooks are notoriously bad with spills. That's what my friend ssaid she found out when she accidentally killed her's. :(

I'm pretty much a life-long Windows user. (though my first comp was a Laser-brand) My first PC was around 1995. Came with Windows 3.1, still my FAVORITE OS, and Kings Quest 6, which had pretty AMAZING graphics for it's day!

I've lost hard drives and comps before to age and stuff. Once had a slight brown-out, and it left the primary hard drive alone, but pretty much nuked my secondary drive, which was where I stored ALL of my writings and art. I never counted the pages, but I KNOW I lost at least if not over 100 pages of various writings. And I lost a lot of artwork I was working on. I would've TOTALLY preferred losing the main drive, OR even the ENTIRE computer, instead of that secondary drive.

I've had to replace keyboards and mice too.

Drive recovery can be pricey too. One drive we lost, again with ALL my work on it, this was before flash drives, but because it had my Dad's info on it too, including a ton of scanning he had done for a mortgage refi, we agreed to get the drive recovered and share the cost.  Being a residential and not commercial hard drive. It came to about $1300 I think, maybe a bit less. We used a company called Kroll Ontrack. The expense ALSO included the price of a NEW hard drive to put the recovered data on. They shipped a return package first, including a static-free bag and box for the hard drive. You pack it up send it out, and they contact you after the assessment, and ask any questions they may have, and then proceed after that contact.

I only JUST had to replace that drive with the recovered data on it about a year or two ago, after about a decade. Roughly DOUBLE the average life expectancy. What's surprising, is that I'm very HARD on my computer. I'm usually doing several things at once, or at least having several things open that I can jump around, or multitask if I want. So it's a surprise the old drive didn't die sooner. ;)

The brand of Hard Drive they put the recovered data on was Western Digital. The local computer tech who transferred the data to a new hard drive, said that Western Digital is one of the best brands. in the past I have had some issue with hard drives, even a western digital, but after that recovered drive, and since, I haven't had any real issues with WD drives in recent memory.

Good luck with Windows! I don't have windows 10, but my mom does, and I can see it being a steepish learning curve if you aren't used to the Windows format. I'm not a huge fan of Windows 10, I prefer Windows 8.1, comparatively. But if you need a computer for school, then you need one for school. So I'll wish you the best of luck!

I was hoping someone here would have this type of insight. It was really overwhelming to find a laptop. I had no clue / still have no clue what to look for.  My sister also told me that she spilled a small drop on hers years back and it died. Good to know now for the future.

13 hours ago, Mouseykins said:

Random thought but have you tried covering it in rice? Covering it in rice will absorb the extra moisture from the inside. I've used rice to dry out an iPhone my daughter dropped in a pail of water for several hours. After a couple days in rice it worked perfectly. But if it's already dead it may be a long shot.

I'm a Mac girl through and through and will NOT settle for a windows computer at all, regardless of the cost. It's either Mac or nothing. When my MacBook Pro cratered a few years ago,  it was still under warranty thankfully and I was given a decent amount to replace it. The tech handling my case asked what I was looking for and I said a Mac and he asked why and I just said because I hate windows. I hate all the problems with it with viruses and programs and Mac is just so much smoother in my opinion.

I hope you can get your Macbook fixed and continue to use it for school, rather than having to get a new one.

My daughter yanked off my V key several years ago and chewed it. I ordered a replacement from https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/ and it was fairly cheap. That might be an option for you instead of replacing the entire thing.

Yes. You are saying what I feel inside. LOL. I cant stop being grumpy about it. No I have no tried rice. Maybe I'll do that.  I do plan on returning to mac, but i guess I have to wait now until this new one dies. Well- its really just to get me through my homework. I do full time online courses for my university. I felt so desperate.