Charity Corner 2018 Is Here!

hrtbrk

I finally finished going through my SDB (~95 pages worth) and donating the last of my items, putting me over 10k points. Thankfully I didn't have to touch my r90s, so I'll be selling those and hopefully making a decent profit. And now my SDB is only 37 pages long. I can't believe how much I got rid of! Such a nice feeling. 

Interesting post about Charity Corner 2018 in today's Neopian Times Editorial, Issue #819, 16th day of Running, Y20:

ref: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=819

SCRAPPY ANNOUNCEMENT
1. Charity Corner. So there's a little confusion going around and while things will become more clear soon I will give you a little heads up as to whats coming! One, there is not fixed points for every item. Items are divided up by rarity. Yes, there aren't prizes and I know this is very different but there will be more of a Perks Shop at the end of this event. You will be able to redeem your points to get certain perks, TNT & Granny Hopbobbin are in agreement this was a needed change! I know its very different, but I do think if you wonderful Neopians can keep an open mind then you will enjoy these perks!! We have a wide array of choices and you will get to choose which ones you get to redeem and if you still have extra, you might even get the chance to win some free NC.

I wonder what kind of perks will be at the "Perks Shop"? I'm sure they will be different than the Obelisk Skirmish "boons". And, even the possibility to "win" some free NC. I wonder what the points cut-off will be? I'm aiming for 10K, but now I'm not so sure.

Honestly I would rather have prizes a la Altador Cup...I would probably have saved my rarer items to sell if I'd known this beforehand. Call me materialistic if you want ;|

I'm at 7300-something points, probably gonna donate extra books today (I've been emptying my SDB by category) and then, we'll see. It IS nice to get rid of so much unused clutter, in any case.

Man, I recently discarded a bunch of junk trying to get the Rubbish! avi (to no avail, although I'm also not keeping count of how much garbage I discard). I really wouldn't take a gamble for money prizes but I can't risk not getting an avatar if they give out one! I'm in the process of donating everything in my SDB under 100 NP but IDK if that would be sufficient.

1 hour ago, rayuela said:

Man, I recently discarded a bunch of junk trying to get the Rubbish! avi (to no avail, although I'm also not keeping count of how much garbage I discard). I really wouldn't take a gamble for money prizes but I can't risk not getting an avatar if they give out one! I'm in the process of donating everything in my SDB under 100 NP but IDK if that would be sufficient.

I did the same thing. I think I donated too CC once in the past, and I didn't really like/get it, so i wasn't  really waiting for it to come round again, but it's easier this year, and I've lost out on so many points because of that bloomin' avatar. I still have to clean up some of my SDB, but my points are only just over 2500, as I'm keeping Advent Calendar items. :(

I THINK I've just seen sense, lol. I'm currently putting everything in my inventory back into my SDB, then I'll go through and take stuff back out again! Because that sounds sensible, right?! :lmaosmiley:

The thing is, when I was removing the rare foodstuffs that I had, I also started removing the uncommon ones too, and I do seem to have realised now that that was a pretty dumb thing to do as I still have plenty of rare stuff to go before I need to sink to single point stuff.

And hopefully! Before I fill my inventory up again I'll go and buy my Kacheek the flower I want for him! Let's see if I remember to do that! lol.

Perks ?

like what ? buy a site theme ? or an avatar (which will cost a lot of points ofc ?)

like Scoobert , i'm not so sure right now as well 

I'll be selling those and hopefully making a decent profit.

if i sell my R90's at their current prices i'll probably touch 1 Mil Np .. I don't think they'll get more expensive .. so i will probably donate them all

On 3/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, Angeló said:

Perks ?

like what ? buy a site theme ? or an avatar (which will cost a lot of points ofc ?)

like Scoobert , i'm not so sure right now as well 

if i sell my R90's at their current prices i'll probably touch 1 Mil Np .. I don't think they'll get more expensive .. so i will probably donate them all

If you really don't need the neopoints then donating may be the way to go. You might also want to consider splitting things up and putting some expensive quick sale items into the shop and donating the rest. Just a thought.

I know the CC Perk Shop is open but there is no link to the NC Perk Shop. How do I find that link?

I'm very interested to know what these "perks" will be, but also VERY apprehensive. >_<

JS's track record just doesn't bode well when it comes to anything being well thought out, does it, so yeah, much trepidation. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Granny63020 said:

If you really don't need the neopoints then donating may be the way to go. You might also want to consider splitting things up and putting some expensive quick sale items into the shop and donating the rest. Just a thought.

that's what i'm thinking .. but i really don't need the NP .. i have like 480 of a certain R93 item .. i already donated half of them .. and keeping half .. but i think ill donate them on the last day 

I'm really interested by the varying methods people are using here.

I started off low - donating obsidian - but quickly changed to my highest rarity stuff. I think I'd have given up long before now if I'd stuck with the r.101 etc. things first. I'm pretty confident that I'll not get back to them from the other end, lol! Depending on how much rare stuff I have left I might not get much into the uncommons before I've had enough.

Something Has Happened!
charitycorner2017.gif You are now eligible to use 'Winter Charity Corner' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

I think im done donating. LOL im at 4200ish donation points. So happy to finally get the avatar. I was bummed I missed out on it last time. 

2 minutes ago, Angeló said:

that's what i'm thinking .. but i really don't need the NP .. i have like 480 of a certain R93 item .. i already donated half of them .. and keeping half .. but i think ill donate them on the last day 

Wow! That is a lot. Maybe donate all but 100 and then at the end if you feel you need to donate the rest do so and if not put them into your shop/ leave in SDB for another rainy day. Never know what *thing* is going to come up next.

I didn't really save items for the CC. So although I do still have about 4500 items in my SDB I have donated almost 1500. I'm no where near what the serious donators have donated. What I did in te start was go through the SDB and remove everything but leave just 1 of the item. If I had 15 of 1 item I would remove 14 of that item. If I had 3 of an item I would remove 2. If I only had 1 of that item I would leave it in the SDB. That's why there is still 4500+ items still. I plan to try to decide what items I can part with and finish the clean out. Oh and I did not donate everything. I had no idea I had such expensive stuff. I made a cut off figure and the lower was donated and the higher was put into the shop. I'm not greedy as far as NP but I like to buy stuff for my gallery. Last night I spent about 5M on PB's and PP PB's. So, that's why I hesitate putting in all into CC.

I had so much stuff (133 pages of stuff, over 10k items). Today I've cleared out the stuff I don't want to keep from a third category. I've been putting some stuff in my shop first and if it didn't sell, I would donate it. It had all the rarity's, from 40 to 112. Most of the items were only worth 1 point though. I still have 113 pages now in my sdb. I'll see the next few days how much I feel like doing another category, but it's just so boring. I have no idea about the prices of all of it, so it is safer for me to do it this way than to just donate. Some stuff was worth a LOT of NP.

I'll donate at least every day until the event is over, but I probably won't feel or have time to donate hundreds of items every day. I'm around 2000 items that have been donated already. clicking every time is getting a drag. I wished we had quick stock donate, but not to the money tree :P

21 minutes ago, geoterza said:

Does anyone know when this ends?  I just noticed it started today.

From the Charity Corner 2018 FAQS:

The Make a Difference Drive will start on the 12th of March at 12:00:00 NST and will go on for 11 days, ending on the 23rd  of March at 12:00:00 NST.

So, it's been going on for about 6 days now, and 6 more days to go. Still plenty of time to donate.

I've just hit 18k points, not sure that I've got an awful lot of rare items left now though. I'm not gonna be keen once I'm down to uncommons. :ph34r:

Finally reached over 10K points. I think I only got my SDB down by 3K. Still seem to have a lot of items left, but not sure if there are many R90 and above, left. Decisions, decisions. I will continue to donate some stuff everyday, until the end, just in case it might make a difference. Hoping they will release a new avatar, too. I guess the Prize Shop "boons" will really determine how well this CC is received and the future of CC.

I was able to donate 1500 items yesterday and I just finished using the SDB Checker to load up my inventory with everything I want to donate.  I've got 5188 items to still get rid of.  I'm not bothering trying to sell any.  If I manage to donate all before the end, my SDB box will have gone from 17 pages to 8.  Wish me luck - it's time for a movie marathon/neopets day!

Got this yesterday!!  

Something Has Happened!
charitycorner2017.gif

You are now eligible to use 'Winter Charity Corner' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

So I'm emptying my closet now. I haven't touched food items yet and I think that's where the bulk of my SDB items are. At the start of this, I had just over 20K items in my SDB. Now I'm down to 17,910 items and only made 5684 points so far. My goal of 20K points seems really far since many of my items donated so far only attract 1 point... Hope this improves when I go into the food category lol