Random Contest - It's Back!

Scoobert_Doo

It looks like the Random Contest is back! This was posted in today's, 24 January 2018, "News":

ref: http://www.neopets.com/nf.phtml

Woah it's like a sudden wave has come over Neopia. Or maybe the fog over Lutari Island has lifted? Whatever it is, it seems the Random Contest has officially been reinstated! For the 296th edition of the Random Contest show us what you think is really going on at Lutari Island! Submissions will be accepted till February 9th, so hit the drawing board and get to creating! We cannot wait to see everything you come up with!

Good luck to those who enter!

Finally it's back 

I hope I can upgrade to Silver or Gold 

But i'm not very crafty

I only won the Bronze trophy bcz one contest was about Altadorian food (which is sort of Greek / Middle Eastern) so i just sent a picture of the food we make and eat almost everyday at home :D 

I got bronze from an art entry that I was able to draw and do in photoshop. I was so proud of myself for that achievement. I look forward to hopefully entering in the future to upgrade my trophy as well. :D

24 minutes ago, Angeló said:

Finally it's back 

I hope I can upgrade to Silver or Gold 

But i'm not very crafty

I only won the Bronze trophy bcz one contest was about Altadorian food (which is sort of Greek / Middle Eastern) so i just sent a picture of the food we make and eat almost everyday at home :D 

That was crafty enough to get you Bronze!

19 minutes ago, Mouseykins said:

I got bronze from an art entry that I was able to draw and do in photoshop. I was so proud of myself for that achievement. I look forward to hopefully entering in the future to upgrade my trophy as well. :D

Do you still have that picture, by chance? I think I'd be neat to see past winning art.

I think it's great knowing some TDNers have been past winners, especially those who are still active. Might give us less artsy individuals courage to try.

1 minute ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

Might give us less artsy individuals courage to try.

Yes, this is the encouragement I need! I tend to be pretty good at craft stuff, but I'm not super creative with actual ideas (I'm a perpetual copycat of neat things I see on places like tumblr and pinterest...). I don't know if I'll be able to come up with something for this first contest, but I'm definitely interested in giving it a try at some point! 

Oh! I love this! I've always wanted to try this contest but with lack of space to craft/draw I've never entered. When I finally moved to a bigger place they took it down. I was so sad! I am certainly going to try and submit stuff in the future.

I don't think it will be this round, a bit busy at the moment and drawing isn't my strongest, so I would need to practice. I am good at cooking and with needle and thread though! I can't wait for a nice contest!

11 hours ago, Scoobert_Doo said:

That was crafty enough to get you Bronze!

Do you still have that picture, by chance? I think I'd be neat to see past winning art.

I think it's great knowing some TDNers have been past winners, especially those who are still active. Might give us less artsy individuals courage to try.

Yep, I still have my picture! I'll just go dig it out of my tumblr archives so I don't have to upload it again.

tumblr_n0tf27MWmL1s4jd4io1_1280.jpg

All the way from February 2014!

Well this is exciting!

Those of you who have ideas but not the skills, or have the skills but not the ideas . . . work together on here for an entry? Are collabs allowed?

9 hours ago, emily_speck_15 said:

I wonder if this means that they will actually do something with Lutari Island...

I wondered the exact same thing!!

Lol . . . maybe they've no idea what to do with it, so are trawling the userbase for inspiration with this contest? lol.gif

6 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Well this is exciting!

Those of you who have ideas but not the skills, or have the skills but not the ideas . . . work together on here for an entry? Are collabs allowed?

I wondered the exact same thing!!

Lol . . . maybe they've no idea what to do with it, so are trawling the userbase for inspiration with this contest? lol.gif

That would be hilarious!  See your idea for the random contest turned into what neopets does with an entire section of the site!

1 minute ago, emily_speck_15 said:

That would be hilarious!  See your idea for the random contest turned into what neopets does with an entire section of the site!

I see a law suit looming as we speak. :laugh:

Though I'm quite sure there's some clause somewhere that says something along the lines of "anything submitted to Neopets becomes their intellectual property," or whatever. They'll have their backs covered, lol.

They do, it used to be in the rules that everything you submit can be used by them as they see fit. And it's not only with the random contest I believe. It's also in the rules that we are allowed to draw/craft Neopets and Neopet items as long as it's not used to make a profit. It is their property, and re-creating art isn't usually accepted.

Having Lutari Island back would be awesome though. I feel like they're really trying to give us back some things and even expanding other things to give us new experiences. They must be trying to make it fun again for everyone and I appreciate it a LOT!

8 hours ago, jellysundae said:

This is what I'm wondering. I looked through the rules and didn't see anything one way or another about collaborating. I would definitely be interested in doing that if it were allowed though. 

6 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

This is what I'm wondering. I looked through the rules and didn't see anything one way or another about collaborating. I would definitely be interested in doing that if it were allowed though. 

Maybe what it might come down to, is only one person being able to submit the entry and hence gain the avatar if they win. But then turns could be taken for who submitted, seeing as you'd be getting a chance to enter which you wouldn't have otherwise so no loss there?

42 minutes ago, kayahtik said:

37 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Maybe what it might come down to, is only one person being able to submit the entry and hence gain the avatar if they win. But then turns could be taken for who submitted, seeing as you'd be getting a chance to enter which you wouldn't have otherwise so no loss there?

Sounds like the perfect editorial question to be asked. :D

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, emily_speck_15 said:
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Mouseykins said:

Yep, I still have my picture! I'll just go dig it out of my tumblr archives so I don't have to upload it again.

tumblr_n0tf27MWmL1s4jd4io1_1280.jpg

All the way from February 2014!

OMG! Dawn Those are soooooo great!  When I first looked at your pictures I said to myself, "Ok, so she copied and pasted a couple of pictures and won a trophy for THAT?"  Then I looked closer and to my surprise and :blush02:, I was like, HOLY COW, those aren't copy and paste, she actually DREW THOSE!!!!!! Those are awesome.  Especially that dress. I want THAT one for my pet. Yeah, I can't draw that well to make someone think they were copy and paste.  lol.  I am so impressed.  You definitely deserved your prize.  Congrats!!!!  

I wonder if this means that they will actually do something with Lutari Island...

I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing.  OOOOOHHHH I hope so!

@rntracy1 Thanks for the compliments! My original plan was to draw a few items that I liked from that year by recreating their thumbnails, then I wanted to model them on my Blumaroo. I ran out of time and this was what I ended up with. When I draw I like to use grid paper so I can get good symmetry, then scan into my computer to colour it.

I'm looking forward to seeing another art contest that I might be able to enter. :D