NeoQuest

okkusu

For maps and enemy stats, NPC locations and all, I recommend this site.
https://idnq.net/
I have game I left off somewhere in the Lost Desert, but this site has always been a GREAT resource for finding one's way around. I've cleared NQ2 a number of times, and used to almost have the maps for NQ2 memorized. I MIGHT try NQ again someday, I somehow managed to beat it on Normal Mode, but never went back to tackle Hard Mode.

Actually, after the first couple of times I beat NQ2, I had a few interesting ideas for an NQ3 game that I once thought I might pitch to TNT, but since I'm not a Neopets employee, I very much doubt they'd listen to my ideas, for whatever reason(s) there might be. Those who know me would not be surprised to find out that there'd be a peophin character in it. lol But it could continue on where NQ2 ends. Build on that storyline instead of creating something completely different, like the difference between NQ1 and NQ2.  Ah well. lol One can dream, right? ;)

@the_lady_j The timing starts the moment you start a new game, and ends the moment you finish the game, that being said, it's counts REAL WORLD TIME. If it takes you 2, 3 hours every day for say, 3 days, it'll still count the time you were not online playing the game. No way to pause the timer once you start. I have NO idea how anyone can beat the game as quickly as some of those "fastest times" are. But as those times get more and more short, I've given up on trying for the fastest time on ANY of those difficulties, for either NQ1 or NQ2.

Hi there, I have a question for all you seasoned NQII players ( @rntracy1 @kayahtik maybe?) - is it necessary at each stop to visit every person?

Will I still get the trophy at the end if I skip a lot of them? I have just arrived at Lakeside and there are soooooo many people. I find visiting each one very tedious. Life is short and I am old...

@lojoco49 No, it's not necessary to talk to all of them! There are only a few that give you important information. Are you following a guide? It should tell you who you need to talk to, and you can skip all the rest. 

I'm using the JN guide and I definitely only talk to the people it says I need to to gain something or forward the plot.

I think I'd go insane if I talked to everyone D:<

Thanks @kayahtik yes I'm following the jellyneo guide. It doesn't seem to specifically say I NEED to talk to a certain person so do I just ascertain that myself by scanning the conversations to see? For instance picking up Mipsy and visiting the guy who gives a password etc? Sorry I'm such a noob in this area of neopets, previously only played the flashgames.

Haha, I'm glad it's not just me @jellysundae, I already feel like I'm going insane with the sheer length of this thing! :axehead:

I just finished NQII yesterday in normal mode. I used the JN guide the whole way through, and it WILL tell you if there is someone you need to specifically talk to. On occasion, there will also be whole areas you can skip. None of this will effect you earning the trophy. The thing to be aware of, however, that wasn't made particularly clear in the guide - are the rest stops. If your characters are not in need of a rest to top off their health meters, or if you're just trying to save money, think again. Those rest stops are also save points of a sort. If you were to 'die', you'll start again at the last rest stop you visited. Thankfully this never happened to me, but I didn't even realize it until I was over two-thirds of the way through the game. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, the_lady_j said:

I just finished NQII yesterday in normal mode. I used the JN guide the whole way through, and it WILL tell you if there is someone you need to specifically talk to. On occasion, there will also be whole areas you can skip. None of this will effect you earning the trophy. The thing to be aware of, however, that wasn't made particularly clear in the guide - are the rest stops. If your characters are not in need of a rest to top off their health meters, or if you're just trying to save money, think again. Those rest stops are also save points of a sort. If you were to 'die', you'll start again at the last rest stop you visited. Thankfully this never happened to me, but I didn't even realize it until I was over two-thirds of the way through the game. Good luck!

Oh, ok thank you! I must not be reading thoroughly enough :blink:

@lojoco49 I took a look at the JN guide, and it looks like the instructions for each area, including who you need to speak with, are in the yellow/brown box right under the map. I can see how you might miss the important parts. They're not super explicit, at least the first few I looked at. For example, here's the one from Trestin: 

Home sweet home. Don't be afraid to visit Mother if you're in need of some rest - she kindly lets you sleep in your own bed for free. See Pongoras if you want to stock up on damage potions, otherwise it's time to start your adventure!

If the style or formatting of the JN guide isn't working out for you, this is the one I've used on all three modes and I've found it very helpful (and more detailed): http://www.neopets.com/~winnie_1964. And I use this for maps: http://www.neopets.com/~__Ale__#Western

If the style or formatting of the JN guide isn't working out for you, this is the one I've used on all three modes and I've found it very helpful (and more detailed): http://www.neopets.com/~winnie_1964. And I use this for maps: http://www.neopets.com/~__Ale__#Western

Fabulous, thank you @kayahtik, I'll definitely take a look at those.

I loved playing NeoQuest II a number of years back and completed the Insane mode. Now I took up Neoquest I and am playing it now, and was surprised at how small it is compared to the second one! I just started last week and I'm already almost done. 

I finished Neoquest I today and been thinking of starting Neoquest II, but I don't know which difficulty. You can't get a second item prize on insane, but I think you can on Evil? 

Also, I was kinda shocked when I read my best time for beating the levels, it was over 400 days for both evil and normal but then 10 days for Insane. 10 days!? I must have done nothing but play each of those ten days.

6 hours ago, swirlybits said:

I honestly wish they would have updated Neo Quest because it looks so updated now with all the graphics :(

That's interesting! NQ is one of the things that I'm glad they HAVEN'T updated. It's designed like an old school turn-based RPG, which yeah, didn't have good graphics. It's part of the charm, imo. I would be really disappointed if they updated it to look super polished and modern. If they were going to do that, they may as well turn it into a flash game. 

If this ever happened I'm 99.9% sure the result would be Neoquest III and the 2 existing games would be left alone. I totally agree with Kay that the retro-ness of them is a huge part of the appeal, an up-to-date version would be an entirely different animal, I'm sure.

I'm a fan of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, and the 3rd installment of that is how I picture Neoquest changing if it got revisited. RCT2 is the same visually as the first game,  just with way more content; the same as NQII is. RCT3 is all 3D and shiny and completely different and that's definitely what I think would happen to NQIII if it came into being. Though I guess NetDragon would have to be willing to seriously invest in Neo for this to ever be a reality because if would cost an absolute fortune.

But hey, who knows?

I'm still slogging my way slowly through Faerieland, it was at this point that I got bored to death when I played years ago. It's that nasty computer game habit of making you go ALL the way through the wherever to do X thing, then having to come ALL the way back to where you started to go on to the next time <_< Just fought the Faerie Thief for the first time so currently back-tracking. *grumbles* lol.

Yeah, I totally agree with Jelly! I would love to see a NQIII in a new, updated format. But I would be disappointed (read: actually really really upset) if they changed the original two. 

I hope you're done slogging soon, Jelly! In most levels there are those orbs that transport you back to a central location, but for some reason they seemed to think that by the end of the game you'd built up enough stamina not to need them. Seems a little backwards to me, lol. Actually by the end of the game you just want to finish instead of wandering back and forth and all around! Oh well.

Just two days ago, I finished Meridell on Insane mode. I'm hoping to make a dent in Terror Mountain this weekend. Things have gotten better since I picked up Mipsy. It's a lot harder to die when you have two party members! Too bad Velm is still so far away x.x

I don't think I'll be trying the harder levels, and most definitely not insane, lol! Nu-uh! :hmmph:

What's the highest skill level people get to? Mine are at 59 right now, am I only gonna get 1 more?

EDIT: Just answered my own question. Velm's leveled up and maxed out.

So... I got to terror mountain on Insane, just got Talinia, was casually battling through a cave with netflix in another window. And I got careless and just pressed attack passively. And I died :sad02: Completely my own stupid fault. We'll see how long it takes until I want to play again :D I do already have the Insane trophy so just doing it for fun.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, neo_girl_300993 said:

So... I got to terror mountain on Insane, just got Talinia, was casually battling through a cave with netflix in another window. And I got careless and just pressed attack passively. And I died :sad02: Completely my own stupid fault. We'll see how long it takes until I want to play again :D I do already have the Insane trophy so just doing it for fun.

I died in NQ through not paying attention, had a big trek to get back to the jungle ruins! I've stayed alive so far in NQII, though I've pushed my luck more than once, Mipsy survived by the skin of her teeth at least twice, oops!

I'm now closing in on peak MEH though. Everyone's at max level and I'm going round in circles in Faerieland. I'm going to try to play just a little bit each day, nibble away at it in small chunks so I don't give up like I did years ago. I don't want to come this far for nothing.

• 5 months later...

Alright guys, I'm ALMOST finished with NQI on Evil difficulty. I'm level 50 and at the stairs before Jahbal's level. I've been circling around the stairs, fighting more monsters to try and max out my spirit healing potions -- I currently have 9 out of a max of 10. But I've fought (what feels like) at least 50 monsters without getting any drops, so two questions: 

1. Is there something I don't know about where you don't get drops past level 50? Or am I just really unlucky? 

2. Do you think it's safe to go ahead and fight Jahbal (and Mastermind after him) with only 9 spirit potions (plus 15 greater and 15 superior potions, and a mix of lower level ones)? I'm slowly using up my lower level potions from fighting these guys to get the spirit potions, which seems kind of counter-productive...

EDIT: My impatience got the better of me and I went for it. I beat both of them! No problem really...Jahbal got me down to 40hp once, but I only used 5/9 of the spirit potions I had, and a handful of the others. 

Glad you survived! I didn't even recognise the names of the guys you needed to fight, so that shows how much use I'd have been to you. >_<

5 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I didn't even recognise the names of the guys you needed to fight, so that shows how much use I'd have been to you. >_<

I know you've completed NQ once before, so you have to have met Jahbal! The most memorable thing about him is that he's unnecessarily large, so I had to keep scrolling down to attack on every turn -.-

Have you made any progress in either of your games recently? 

Congrats on getting to the end. I am still on Lost Desert chapter on Evil.  How long have you been playing evil for???  Its been a few months for me but some days I literally take 5 steps forward and thats it. 

3 hours ago, Kute said:

Congrats on getting to the end. I am still on Lost Desert chapter on Evil.  How long have you been playing evil for???  Its been a few months for me but some days I literally take 5 steps forward and thats it. 

I started NQI on Evil at the beginning of July. I had planned to finish it that month, but then my laptop was broken for almost two weeks, so I didn't quite make it. 

I started NQII on Insane...sometime early this year? I don't remember exactly. And I'm at the beginning of Lost Desert, so I still have a ways to go. I'm taking this one very slow so I don't die on accident and have to start over :K