Caption Contest Rejection Club

deboratibi

Don't you guys think it would be better/easier/fairer if advertising your entry wasn't allowed? And if you could only vote for each entry once.

The current set up makes this contest entirely about how many people you can get to vote for you, and nothing to do with the quality of the caption. :^/

1 hour ago, deboratibi said:

I noticed some entrants help out at the Quests board with their signatures, but idk, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that. 

I go to the quest boards every day for my FQC, and I often see someone hosting a quest help board while advertising with their signature. Personally, I'm always happy to give them a click after they help me out with my quest. It's super easy, since they provide the link, and it's not obnoxious because they're not outright asking for votes in exchange for help. So if your hesitation is about annoying people, I wouldn't worry about it! But I'm sure there are other effective ways to advertise if you're really against it!

The current set up makes this contest entirely about how many people you can get to vote for you, and nothing to do with the quality of the caption. 

When you get right down to it...a contest decided by voting is always entirely about how many people you can get to vote for you. No matter how many times each user is allowed to vote.

So I don't see that it would be FAIRER to limit votes to 1 per user.

While I could see one vote each maybe being EASIER...it would require the entire set up of the CC to be altered.

Since it is one of the longest running and most popular contests, I just don't see that happening. 

I think there are ways to make the CC BETTER...but, imo, they are minor tweaks: setting a schedule and sticking to it, removing cheap prizes from the prize pool (for ALL contests), allowing only 1 caption per user into the voting round, actually CLOSING submissions once the voting round begins (as it stands, you can still fill in the submit field and enter them once voting has begun and lots of folks don't know that those submissions are futile), remembering to announce in the News every time captions go up for voting and every time a new image goes up, and putting a clear and concise list of rules on the CC page.

Speaking of advertising, do you have any advice for that? I'm not doing so bad in terms of votes, but I'm not doing so great either. I always hoped that when I got in the CC that I'd be able to advertise here, but then they changed that rule.

So far as the signatures go...I find them less intrusive than the BC boards (but, tbh, the BC boards don't bother me...if I don't want to read a board I skip over it). The Quest boards are actually a great place to use your sig AND help out others at the same time. Just be careful to NOT mention the CC/voting IN your replies. ONLY in your signature. Pretty much any board on the NeoBoards is ok, so long as you stick to the subject at hand (avoid things like "GL!", "BUMP!", or just random smiley...you WILL get dinged for such).

If I am replying more than once on a given board, though, I only use my CC sig one time then swap my sig out for my other replies. That is TOTALLY personal preference on my part, there is no rule that says it is to be done that way.

While I used to advertise HERE myself, and have long appreciated TDN'ers for their support, I totally understand why TNT wants the garnering of votes to be limited to Neopets.

Now, as far as winning? Unfortunately top 5 (Gold) seems pretty hard right now because (imo) some users are still using outside influence to drive their vote counts up. That having been said, the top 25 get trophies (1-5=Gold, 6-12=Silver, 13-25=Bronze) and all get a random prize...so you should be able to place w/o too much advertising effort. You don't have to flood the Neoboards w/ commentary to place in the CC. 

Good luck!

14 minutes ago, fullonparanoid said:

When you get right down to it...a contest decided by voting is always entirely about how many people you can get to vote for you.

Ha! Yes, you're right.

I'm just watching Deb and realising what a miserable SLOG it is to try and win, and was wishing entering could be actually enjoyable, lol.

From Scrappy in the new Editorial:

2. CAPTION CONTEST TIMING UPDATE: So, I've talked to a lot of people about timing and the CC Charter Board has come up with a great solution I think everyone can agree on! So, we are going to still post each Caption on the first of the month, you will have a week to send in submissions, then we will take about a week to go through them and get them out, then you will have one week to vote. At the end of that week, winners will be posted. That means there will be anywhere from a week to a couple days of downtime, and then on the first- the new one will be posted! This new flow will start in December!

Also, I just noticed from an earlier News post:

A new Caption Contest has launched! Now you can submit your best lines or vote for your fellow Neopians to take home a trophy of their own. We've got all new prizes in the prize pool so this is a caption contest worth winning!

I'm happy the prizes have been worked on, HOWEVER, "ALL NEW PRIZES"? Does that mean we no longer have a shot at the HIGH end prizes of the original prize pool? No more Candychan? Blobikins? Paint Brushes? Or did they just remove the cheapy ones? Hopefully they just removed the cheapy prizes and left the nice ones.

Guess we will find out at the end of this contest!

:P

On 11/18/2017 at 11:01 AM, fullonparanoid said:

From Scrappy in the new Editorial:

Also, I just noticed from an earlier News post:

I'm happy the prizes have been worked on, HOWEVER, "ALL NEW PRIZES"? Does that mean we no longer have a shot at the HIGH end prizes of the original prize pool? No more Candychan? Blobikins? Paint Brushes? Or did they just remove the cheapy ones? Hopefully they just removed the cheapy prizes and left the nice ones.

Guess we will find out at the end of this contest!

:P

I'm reading " We've got all new prizes in the prize pool " as they've added more prizes, and they're unique to the caption contest, not already existing items.

Wishful thinking on my part? Could be, lol. But that's definitely what it sounds like to me.

See I want to say they'd surely not ditch all the current prizes because why would they do that? But I know the answer don't I . . . because they're JS, and they do idiotic things like that. -_-

But yes, wishful thinking over here! Positive vibes!