Who here likes making music and performing?

firaplays

There doesn't seem to be any threads like this in the art section, so who likes to perform and/or create music? I like singing in choirs and in contests, and I also record covers of songs that I like. Music is the best^^

Edit: I forgot to mention I also play the African drums. I'm terrible at harmonic instruments, but I do love to play percussion!

Me! Me!  Ooh, pick me!  I know there are other musical people in this place so it's interesting that you can't find any threads about this already.  But I too sing, in a choir and a quartet, and I play a couple of instruments.  I didn't do it for several years and I missed it so badly.  It was like there was a piece of me missing.  So, who else wants to put their hand up?

I'm not any way talented, in fact I just found out that my singing voice is too small & not powerful enough to sing with a mic in a karaoke box, lol. But I like listening to piano pieces, I'm fascinated by how the brain of piano players coordinate their fingers to dance on the keys so accurately and they can produce such beautiful harmony...

I wonder if it's too late to learn playing a piano if you're already an adult?

I play the piano/keyboard and sing as a hobby (which is saying I'm not the really great at either, but I like it? Lol). I played first chair flute in high school over a decade ago, and break it out once in a while. I LOVE classical music, and am going to see Ramin Djawadi's Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience Feb. 23rd!!!
I also love to listen to Jamaican music (look up the wicked cool mash up with Ziggy Marley and Chance the Rapper doing the theme song to the cartoon "Arthur"), and listen to/watch drumlines, so I'd probably love y'all's stuff!

I was always in my choir at school. I don't sing so much anymore, but I still enjoy it.

I play the keyboard a little, I took a few lessons in college and basically taught myself from there.

I was in the choir in my old school :) I can also play the violin and I taught myself piano, and even tried to make a career out of music by taking music GCSEs. Sadly, I've got too much stage fright to pull it off properly, but it's still my dream to perform in front of a large crowd for some reason. 

I was in the choir in my old school :) I can also play the violin and I taught myself piano, and even tried to make a career out of music by taking music GCSEs. Sadly, I've got too much stage fright to pull it off properly, but it's still my dream to perform in front of a large crowd for some reason. 

I can certainly sympathise with you on the stage fright part. :)

I've been playing violin for about two and a half years now (started when I was 25, so a little later than many!). I'm completely hooked and wanting to try piano and cello just as soon as I can afford the extra lessons. 

I can certainly sympathise with you on the stage fright part. :)

I've been playing violin for about two and a half years now (started when I was 25, so a little later than many!). I'm completely hooked and wanting to try piano and cello just as soon as I can afford the extra lessons. 

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of years! I will be 30 this year so even later than you. How did you start? Any tips on which kind to buy for most likely teaching myself at first bc I'm broke?Lol. I love any kind of music that uses a violin. 

And Lindsey Stirling makes me so jealous  <3  <3  <3

It's never too late to learn an instrument if you want to! If you want to take lessons, I say go for it. And I can also sympathize with the stage fright. I said I sing competitively, but the truth is I often get so nervous I lose my voice completely. The best solution I've found for it is wearing sunglasses. If I can't see the audience, I don't get nervous. I mostly sing at contests at anime conventions where I'm in costume, so that ends up being easy for me to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2017 at 7:41 PM, missmadiemay said:

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of years! I will be 30 this year so even later than you. How did you start? Any tips on which kind to buy for most likely teaching myself at first bc I'm broke?Lol. I love any kind of music that uses a violin. 

And Lindsey Stirling makes me so jealous  <3  <3  <3

Sorry I didn't post sooner - I had no idea you'd replied!

I was put off music for a long time by some poor experiences in school, but found myself becoming interested again after watching a couple of particularly good buskers. Other than that, there isn't really an interesting story behind it; I just decided to go for it one day, found a teacher and rented an instrument from a local music shop. I found my teacher on a tutoring website, but I've seen ad cards up in nearby shops, and the music shop where I got my violin had a lot of ads up too. The violin I currently play is a Stentor Student I, which costs around £110-120 (after a couple of months renting, I got a discount and ended up paying around £70, but your shop's policies may vary). It was recently restrung, which has improved the sound a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend trying to teach yourself an instrument like the violin, as even with a teacher I've found it so easy to get into bad habits. That said, my partner is learning to play the viola and taught himself a few scales and simple tunes before finding a teacher, and he hasn't had any problems. I guess it depends on the individual?

I guess my main piece of advice would be: just do it! It'll be hard work, and frustrating for a while, but ultimately a lot of fun and totally worth the effort! Good luck! :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*raises hand*  Me, me, me!

I play two instruments full-time (flute and piano) and dabble in others (ukulele, recorder, accordion, cello, etc.)  I also sing in curch choir and have been thinking about joining my school choir next year.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in High School I performed with my school's choir, the first 2 years I was in the choir anyone could join, the last year I was in the named choir group you had to audition for. Now I just do karaoke while my fiance's band has tried to get me to sing with them a couple of times, so far only on rock band and karaoke nights. lol My fiance plays drums and a bit of guitar. I know a bit of piano and even less guitar.

• 1 year later...