Getting an MRI

danascullymd

Hi, everyone

I just scheduled my first MRI and it is two weeks away. I believe my neurologist is looking for abnormalities like brain lesions, as I am showing some symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS). I already have fibromyalgia so I really don't need another disability, but I would like some answers to what has been happening to me for the past few months. I have already had an EEG and an EMG. EMGs are the actual worst tbh I have had a spinal tap and I feel that EMGs are worse.

If anyone has ever had an MRI, do you have any tips to be comfortable during the experience? I can get anxious in small spaces and I know you can be in that narrow tube for a long time.

Dana, first off *big hugs*. Seems life's giving you more than your fair share of trials! I have MS and have had plenty of MRIs so I can hopefully answer some of your questions about both things. Is your MRI going to be just your head, or your spine too? The head scan's 20 minutes, it's an hour if they're doing your spine too.  When I have an hour's scan they give me a foam wedge that goes under the knees/lower legs, that makes it miles more comfortable lying on the flat surface of the machine.

I don't like the enclosed space, but where I go they have a contraption with mirrors that they fit above your head so you can see down into the room, and also gives the impression of height above your head which really helps. My main worry is always sneezing or something, lol. It's never happened so far though, it seems I'm really good at keeping still, they compliment me on it.

You might have to have a contrast injection. I have to have one every time I have an MRI, though I didn't for my first one...hmm. The contrast is to help highlight new lesions, so they'll have nothing to compare to on your first scan, so I guess you might not have that this time. Of course because I'm in the UK they might do things differently anyway.

I'm not managing well with useful things to say here >_< MS for me mainly means a whole lot of cognitive problems, information retrieval being a BIG one of them, so I'm floundering a bit here. :*

Don't feel bad for floundering, jelly, I have the same type of cognitive problems. Thank you for the hugs, too, I've been through the ringer with this on what is supposed to be a relaxing summer break from college!

I'm not sure if I am having one on my spine, although I think there should be since I am suffering from a lot of spinal pain and problems. I hope they give me some sort of foam wedge for my legs and some mirrors, that sounds really nice. I also hope I am as good at keeping still as you are lol.

I believe I've had a contrast injection for CT scan I had done on my stomach; I just remember feeling like I had to pee for the whole thing.

Thank you for the advice and tips, I really appreciate it!

Hi Dana, good luck luck for the procedure. Does your lab have an open air MRI? I have bad claustrophobia and was given the option to do the open air for a brain scan (among other things). Check if that's an option if you're worried.

Definitely ask for the wedge, it makes a massive difference, it takes the pressure off the base of your spine. Having an MRI's just like lying on the floor with no pillow because it's a hard surface and your head's not raised, so when your legs are lifted the difference it makes is huge!

Do you know what they do for noise control where you're going? The hospital where my scans are done just give people foam earplugs, but a lot of places give you sound cancelling earphones and you can listen to music rather than the dubstep banging of the machine!

Angelo's a radiologist, he might be able to give you some professional advice if he sees this thread. :yes:

I've only personally had one MRI, and man was it uncomfortable! I definitely could've used one of those foam wedges. I would have asked for one if I knew about it...

I was pretty nervous at first, but everything went smoothly. c:

The hospital that did mine had noise-cancelling headphones with music playing. It helped me keep my mind off of it a bit I suppose.

I've only personally had one MRI, and man was it uncomfortable! I definitely could've used one of those foam wedges. I would have asked for one if I knew about it...

I was pretty nervous at first, but everything went smoothly. c:

The hospital that did mine had noise-cancelling headphones with music playing. It helped me keep my mind off of it a bit I suppose.

Did you take your own music? I don't think the hospital I go to has a set up for headphones. When you lie down they hold your head in place with a foam wedge on each side, so there's no room for headphones.

Though honestly I don't mind listening to the machine. The earplugs damp it down enough so it's not super loud. I was nearly giggling at a few of the noise sequences last time, they sounded silly.

Thanks everyone for the continuing support and advice. I'm not sure about the earplugs or open air scans, but I now know that they are even things that exist and will ask about them. I'm also glad to hear you all have had smooth experiences with the procedure.

It would be cool if I could bring my own music; it definitely would ease my nerves and make everything go smoothly. The feeling of lying on the floor is not my favorite thing, but hopefully I can distract myself.

Is it okay to sleep during MRIs? That would definitely be a distraction and laying down during the day usually makes me fall asleep. 

I've had a long history of migraines with no apparent cause (I've had them for over 20 years now) and I've done a fair number of MRIs (And CAT scans, etc)

I remember specifically one when they had me bring in my own CD and they played it over speakers that I could hear inside the machine. They also allowed my mom to sit in the room with me and she sat down by my feet and just kept a hand on my leg so I'd know she was there. Those things both helped me, though I wasn't claustrophobic, I was pretty young at the time, so keeping me still and stopping me from freaking out was important. (I was probably about 7-9 at the time)

My last MRI was when I was 15 and that was a contrast one, as well as having my head immobilized in some sort of setup. By then, I had learned some biofeedback methods to see if that helped with my migraines, so I used those to distract myself. They were mostly mental exercises to keep my mind and body relaxed. My favorite was always picking a favorite place and just focusing on the details, like what you'd see, smell, feel, hear there. The more details I focused on, the more absorbed in that I would get. I used that one for my migraines the most. I still do it now, actually.

I've had a long history of migraines with no apparent cause (I've had them for over 20 years now) and I've done a fair number of MRIs (And CAT scans, etc)

I remember specifically one when they had me bring in my own CD and they played it over speakers that I could hear inside the machine. They also allowed my mom to sit in the room with me and she sat down by my feet and just kept a hand on my leg so I'd know she was there. Those things both helped me, though I wasn't claustrophobic, I was pretty young at the time, so keeping me still and stopping me from freaking out was important. (I was probably about 7-9 at the time)

My last MRI was when I was 15 and that was a contrast one, as well as having my head immobilized in some sort of setup. By then, I had learned some biofeedback methods to see if that helped with my migraines, so I used those to distract myself. They were mostly mental exercises to keep my mind and body relaxed. My favorite was always picking a favorite place and just focusing on the details, like what you'd see, smell, feel, hear there. The more details I focused on, the more absorbed in that I would get. I used that one for my migraines the most. I still do it now, actually.

Since I'm an adult I don't think they would let anyone in there with me, but I can definitely see how that is helpful. I have some CDs, but most of my music is on my iPod so I would have to see about that.

I totally forgot about biofeedback methods (which is weird bc I'm a psych major), so thank you for mentioning that! I also know some calming and grounding exercises like the ones you described, so I could probably utilize those too.

Is it okay to sleep during MRIs? That would definitely be a distraction and laying down during the day usually makes me fall asleep. 

A chap I used to work with had a scan somewhere that had the headphones, and he did fall asleep, so you totally can!

A chap I used to work with had a scan somewhere that had the headphones, and he did fall asleep, so you totally can!

Thank goodness! I can sleep through just about anything so that would be excellent. Plus, I'm not sure if I'll get any rest the night before (yay painsomnia and sleeping problems) so I will appreciate a good nap!

I'm really glad that we've been able to tell you some helpful stuff and make you feel more at ease about your scan. :D

So sorry you have to go through this medical scare, but the MRI is necessary it
seems. jelly pretty much nailed it. I'm assuming you will have contrast too. It
always just tastes yucky to me lol. I'm so used to MRI's, I can fall asleep in
them. I've never heard of the mirror trick, that's very interesting. You can
request an open MRI if you think the tight space will get to you. Foam wedge
under the knees is standard. if you need an extra sheet or anything for that
matter, don't be afraid to ask!

I tried to send this message around 3pm NST, but my internet keeps going out. ugh!

I've never had an MRI myself, only a CT scan, but I am a nurse so I definitely second what everyone else has been saying in terms of comfort measures, especially the music-- I'm sure that would ease your nerves a lot if your medical facility is set up for it! I think sleeping should be fine as long as you don't move around too much, that's usually the biggest issue when it comes to MRIs, because the more still you stay, the clearer the image and the better the radiologists will be able to see anything worrisome. 

You said that you've had the contrast before, so you're probably more or less aware of what that's like, but just in case you have a different experience, it can sometimes make you get a metallic taste in your mouth or even sometimes feel like you've actually wet yourself when you haven't, as silly as that sounds! Both are totally normal, though. :P 

I'm sending you lots of good vibes and thoughts in hopes of the best outcome for you regarding the results! 

Wow, I had no idea that so many players that are true warriors, I stand in awe of all of you. I am totally out of my league (just entering high school this Fall) but I can offer prayers at my iftar (breaking fast time) before I eat my dates as Ramadan is coming to a close, it is said that the prayer of a fasting servant is always answered by God. So God-willing, that could be my positive contribution to your difficult procedure. I will ask God to give you health that heals and peace for your procedure, ameen (may God make it so). 

Did you take your own music? I don't think the hospital I go to has a set up for headphones. When you lie down they hold your head in place with a foam wedge on each side, so there's no room for headphones.

Though honestly I don't mind listening to the machine. The earplugs damp it down enough so it's not super loud. I was nearly giggling at a few of the noise sequences last time, they sounded silly.

Nope, it was their music I think.. Mine had headphones, believe it or not! It didn't cancel all of the noise out though, I could still hear a faint bwssssshhh noise with the music. :P

Thank you everyone for this outpouring of support and tips. You have been extremely helpful and it means a lot to me. <3

loveyouanyhow; That was definitely my experience with contrast dye lol. I was more concerned about the overwhelming feeling that I had wet my pants than the taste.

Thank you for the prayers, midnight. I appreciate them.

I would see if you can have an open MRI. I had an MRI seven years ago. I was adamant about it being an open one since I'm claustrophobic.Being stuck in what amounts to a torpedo tube wasn't for me. To say nothing of a few overwhelming fears. Most doctors can recommend an open MRI facility these days.

Sounds like you've gotten a LOT of great advice! I've never had an MRI, but my mom has, and with an iffy back no less. If you can get into one of those Open Air machines that people have talked about, GREAT! They sound much better than the older things. I've seen a fair bit on facebook (trending articles) about advances in fighting MS, so while I hope you DON'T have it, but in case you do, at least there is some hope for the future! In treatments and all! I hope everything checks out ok for you! Good luck!

Dana,

I've had an enclosed MRI (I had it before my 10.5 hour complete spinal fusion surgery, and had both hips replaced 9 months later, haha) and you're getting a ton of good advice.  In my experience, bring your own music and they'll put whatever you want in the headphones.  Ask about the open air machine, but as far as I know they're pretty rare.  They can also give you Valium if you're really nervous.  They asked me and I just laughed, because I have cerebral palsy and am on Valium all the time just to reduce my muscle spasticity (also painkillers), but it'd probably help you out.

Another thing I've thought of...don't be afraid to ask for a blanket if you want one. It's mildly draughty inside the MRI machine that I spend time in. I asked about it last time and the nurse said there's a fan. I guess they keep the air circulating so it doesn't get stuffy in there. I've never felt actively cold because the room itself is warm, and MS for me makes me prone to over-heating, so the little puffs of cool air were fine, but clearly it bothers enough people for them to have blankets on hand in case they're needed.

I didn't realise the contrast injection could have side-effects like that, I guess I've been lucky then. I don't like having it, but that's simply because cannulation is a trial for me. My veins hide in the first place, and they are averse to needles and seem to actively shy away from them. So even when the nurse has found one, when the needle goes in the vein is nowhere to be found.

I'm currently on a tablet treatment, but I was put on a monthly infusions initially, what awesome fun that was. Even for nurses who spend all day every day cannulating people, it nearly always took 3 attempts to find a vein willing to cooperate. :rolleyes_anim: I'd be no good as a junkie, would I!  :laughingsmiley: 

Since I'm an adult I don't think they would let anyone in there with me, but I can definitely see how that is helpful. I have some CDs, but most of my music is on my iPod so I would have to see about that.

I totally forgot about biofeedback methods (which is weird bc I'm a psych major), so thank you for mentioning that! I also know some calming and grounding exercises like the ones you described, so I could probably utilize those too.

Even if you are an adult, if you have anxiety issues about the whole thing, they will likely let a family member or partner be there with you. Kid or adult, it's not fun feeling panicky and I think if someone holding on to your leg or feet to keep you grounded and help you know you are not alone would help, they will at the very least consider it I would think.

I went in for a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy and my partner was allowed to be there during the whole thing (I have a strong gag reflex and panicked a little due to my throat trying to swallow the camera all the time and how painful that was)

Also, might be able to put some music on a USB and they might be able to play it on the computer.

I hope everything goes smoothly and nothing more is wrong and you can be as comfortable as possible. Wishing you the best of luck!

Disclaimer:  This is not a substitute for the advise of your doctor.  

The doctor who ordered the MRI will prescribe something for your anxiety.  Tell him/her you are feeling anxious about the procedure, you are claustrophobic and they will prescribe, usually Ativan.  You should take it at least an hour before the procedure and have someone who can drive you to and from the facility as it WILL make you drowsy and you will most likely sleep for the rest of the day afterwards.  Otherwise, like others have said, relaxation, music, and open MRI, if available are other options.  Good luck to you.