Day 16 - Extreme Herder (Double Dare)

hrtbrk

Yaay, an easy one for me :)

Scored 154 today, but my high score is 182. So the Avatar score (250) is pretty hard to get. I still need lots of practice.

According to the guide there is a cheat code (but I haven't used it, so I don't know if it still works or not)

"You can freeze Balthazar for a short while by typing 'freeze', which may be very useful during the game."

My strategy is, after picking the last petpet in a level, go to the left and drop it in the safe zone. Wait for the next level to begin while standing on the top left corner (as close as possible to the safe zone's two borders). The petpets mostly don't spawn close to you, so this way don't spawn close to Balthazar. And if they do, you can quickly put them to safety. Make sure you can quickly decide if you want to go right or down. So position yourself in a way you don't get "stuck" behind the walls of the safe zone.

Freeze Balthazar as much as possible, but try to do so while picking up a petpet. You can usually figure out which petpet he is after, so use that to your advantage. Either safe that one first, pick it up and drop it somewhere else on the field so B. will change direction (away from the big group) BUT make sure it's not a sacrifice! Or put it to safety if you can't use it to lure him away.

Make use of the gates on the side of the screen as long as they are there. Even if there isn't one at the other side, you will still pass through, you just can't return that way.

My last tip is: Use that space bar! You run faster than both the petpets and Balthazar. So get the one closest to him, drop it around the corner, go get the other ones the same way. Then go pick up the one closest to B and get it to the safe zone. If you see one too close to B. but you can still save it, drop the one you have or the ones you encounter/pick up on your way and save it.

Oh, if you will lose a life, you can either let him eat you or a petpet. The petpet might still be saved giving you more points. But you will end up starting in the down right corner and the petpets will be moved as well. If you let him eat a petpet, everything stays where it is. So that's a bit of a gamble.

Usually, when there are little petpets left, I sacrifice myself. If there are lots of petpets left, I sacrifice the petpet ( :( ) because otherwise there is a chance of him eating lots more.

Good luck everyone!

Day 16

Mh HS in this game is 133 and i know i can get better .. but for two reasons i went with Abi .. 

1. im going out with friends in a bit and ill back late at night and wont be in the mood to play for 2-3 hrs to beat AAA ..

2. AAA's prize sux ..

so .. without further ado ...

Abigail : 50

Me : 121

I am not good at this game either! I beat Abigail's score, which was good, whew! ^_^

Not so good at this game either, but I am going to give it a shot.  I think I can do it.  BTW Angelo, your AAA streak didn't have to end.  You didn't have to beat AAA TODAY.  You only have to beat him today if you want the day's bonus prize.  As long as you beat AAA at every game by the end of the DD, you will get the gold.  Just thought you might want to know.  So if you were tired after going out tonight, maybe you would have been up for the challenge of trying to beat him at two games tomorrow or sometime this weekend.  You just wouldn't have gotten the bonus prize.

I'm still just trying to beat Abby everyday.  This one took me a few tries to get the hang of it but I ended up with a score of 53.  I didn't have any strategy except that if Balthazar was aiming for a petpet then I'd go for that one first.  

Noooo, not this game! Not this score!  :sad01_anim:

I'm gonna keep trying, but this might be the end of my AAA streak. Now I'm wondering: if I go for Abigail today, what trophy would I get in the end? Silver?

Yes you'll get silver at the end.

I'm going to give this and some of the other games a try on my husband's computer. It's a bit slower and the arrow keys are larger then on my iMac keyboard where they're so small and scrunched together. I'm sure I can get AAA's score today, just have to get to it and then finish up the other games I'm missing. My goal is still to get gold this year.

Good luck to everyone and maybe look at previous year(s) Daily Dare threads for this game, I'm sure there's a video floating around out there that helps with this game. :)

Oh dear!  I have read every guide, looked at all the strategies listed and can only get 39 points.  I have beaten Abigail on every game, but ths one has gotten the best of me.  I'm preparing myself for the participation trophy.  I will continue to try, but just not feeling the confidence today.   :(

I guess I should probably mention that I am doing this with my left hand.  I'm right-handed, but broke my right wrist and am in a cast that won't let me use my right hand.  Not that I can use that as an excuse, I am just plain horrible at this game.

I WAS SO HOPING IT'D BE THIS GAME! I love it! I have the avatar for the game, which did take me several months.

What I try ti focus on first in the later levels is getting the pets away from B. You can pick the pets up and sit them down. I also will move one in a spot were it's close enough to work as bait, so it stops him from going after one that he has his eyes set on. The later levels are hard, but that can be easy if you just focus on moving them around rather than getting them in the fence as fast as you can. I always try to start each game being under evil Mr.B so that any pets that are spawn by him I can grab quickly. Focus on the pets closest to him and worry about the ones further later, and definitely use the power ups! It's worth it!

2n808zn.png

What should I do in a situation like this? This happens all the time. Two petpets spawn very close to Balthazar, along with the freezing power-up. I'm not fast enough to get there (notice how he's 1 second away from them while I'm not even halfway there). In some levels I'm lucky enough to have all the petpets spawn on the opposite side (or at least the power up is there, so I can stop him while I save the petpets closest to him). But most of the times the levels start with petpets being in immediate danger.

2n808zn.png

What should I do in a situation like this? This happens all the time. Two petpets spawn very close to Balthazar, along with the freezing power-up. I'm not fast enough to get there (notice how he's 1 second away from them while I'm not even halfway there). In some levels I'm lucky enough to have all the petpets spawn on the opposite side (or at least the power up is there, so I can stop him while I save the petpets closest to him). But most of the times the levels start with petpets being in immediate danger.

When you're down to the last petpet, make sure that you wait until Baltazar goes to the top of the map and you head there, too. That way you can be there right when the new level spawns and can quickly grab those two petpets before he does!

When you're down to the last petpet, make sure that you wait until Baltazar goes to the top of the map and you head there, too. That way you can be there right when the new level spawns and can quickly grab those two petpets before he does!

Oh, I read that on the guide, but for some reason I completely forgot to do that! lol

I got the score now! I don't think I could do it again though. I almost didn't make it... *wipes brow* How do people even have the avatar

Took me about 3 hours (not consecutive) to get the score, and it was only 152, and that was the only time I came close! Can't seem to regularly break 115. This game is awful!!!! The only tip that worked the most for me was going up to the top left-ish and dropping off the last petpet there. I couldn't get the hang of using the spacebar to herd the petpets away from Balthazar. This is one avatar I will NEVER get, the game is just too stressful! I had to take breaks between levels to keep from losing it.

Oh, I read that on the guide, but for some reason I completely forgot to do that! lol

I got the score now! I don't think I could do it again though. I almost didn't make it... *wipes brow* How do people even have the avatar

I got it by a very very close score. Almost too close! Final score was 157 points after several tries on my hubby's computer. My arrows were just too small and I couldn't distinguish between them fast enough. I don't know how this avatar is possible lol. Congrats on getting it and keeping your AAA streak. :D

I got it by a very very close score. Almost too close! Final score was 157 points after several tries on my hubby's computer. My arrows were just too small and I couldn't distinguish between them fast enough. I don't know how this avatar is possible lol. Congrats on getting it and keeping your AAA streak. :D

Aww, thanks! ^_^  I got it by a close score too. 154! At one point I realised I had about 140 and said to myself "OMG, I haven't died yet! This is it! Don't stop don't stop don't stop".

I think I'm gonna look back and see what other terrible games might be coming up next... I know that Faerie Cloud Racers is a huge possibility. *gulps* 

Not so good at this game either, but I am going to give it a shot.  I think I can do it.  BTW Angelo, your AAA streak didn't have to end.  You didn't have to beat AAA TODAY.  You only have to beat him today if you want the day's bonus prize.  As long as you beat AAA at every game by the end of the DD, you will get the gold.  Just thought you might want to know.  So if you were tired after going out tonight, maybe you would have been up for the challenge of trying to beat him at two games tomorrow or sometime this weekend.  You just wouldn't have gotten the bonus prize.

my streak ended with Ice Cream Machine  :icecream:  thats why i stopped worrying !!! 

and the whole reason i challenged Abi today IS the Bonus Prize .. that Lupe Hat is so cute (:

So I play this game often but I had to try like 15 times to get beat AAA, eventually scoring 167. I find that the game becomes so impossible after you get to like 140 points! As others have, I have no earthly clue how you would obtain the avatar for this game.

The strategy of taking the last petpet and putting it in the pen in the upper left area where Balthazar spawns is what I used. Typically, most of the petpets would spawn far away and you could throw the ones in danger directly into the pen.

Where I start to fail is when I have to try and walk around stupid Balthazar to get to the gate in later levels where there's only one gate anymore. He always eats me!!!  :skull:

And the freeze cheat works but eh, it didn't seem to help much. He only freezes for like a second :shiftyeyes_anim: . The prizes were meh today but I really just want a gold trophy this year!

my streak ended with Ice Cream Machine  :icecream:  thats why i stopped worrying !!! 

and the whole reason i challenged Abi today IS the Bonus Prize .. that Lupe Hat is so cute (:

Ahhh, didn't realize that your streak against AAA had already ended :sad02: .  I like the hat too.  That is what I chose.  No contest between that or speed.  In fact, anytime they had speed, I chose the prize, lol.  I did choose the defense and strength boosts however.  I looked at my score from this game and it was 45.  I was like, Sheesh, that doesn't even beat Abigail's score.  I am in trouble.  Then I realized, I went through many many games just to send scores for the top gamer avatar.  Many of the scores I sent were WAAAAAAY below what I am actually capable of.  It was actually quite funny when I actually put effort into the games.  But looking at the scores initially was pretty scary. :woot:

I'm getting my butt kicked once I hit about 140 and I've been following everyone's advice. 

Any advice for the noob? 

EDIT

I died at 149. I'm SO MAD. 

these are just all of what people have said bunched together. There may be a few in here you haven't tried, but I do believe everyone has mentioned these.

• #1: If you lose a life before Level 15, restart. You will need those lives later in the game.

• #2: Use the Space Bar to drop the petpet if you need to. Pick them up one-by-one and /ever so slowly/ move them away from Balthazar (they will most likely all be in one area further in the game, therefore there will be multiple petpets to move). Normally, you will get lucky enough to get a Snowflake and freeze Balthazar temporarily, but otherwise, this takes a lot of practice.

• #3:Use the Code freeze if necessary to freeze Balthazar for 3 seconds. The code acts like a snowflake.

• #4: Normally all of the petpets are cluttered together. Whether Balthazar is near or not, use the space bar to move them closer to the door individually, that way, you don't have to go all the way across the page each time. If you decide to do that, the odds of you completing the level are very slim. The only exception to this is if they are all cluttered in the bottom-left corner.

• #5: At the end of each level, once you have the last petpet, Balthazar will go up and either hide or somewhat freeze in a certain area. If you need to pause the game, you are safe to do so during that time. Personally, I don't recommend breaks, simply because when you come back you'll have the hardest level first. It's much easier when you go through the game step-by-step.

• #6: At the beginning of each level, start up in the top left corner. Obviously, don't go too far up, because if you do, you will be eaten and lose a life. But, if you stay near the paddock in that area, if any petpets are close to Balthazar at the beginning of the round, you can save them, whereas if you were on the other end of the screen, you wouldn't be capable of doing so.

• #7 Make the screen a pop out large screen, it makes it easier to see what's going on all over the grassy area

Here's a video of someone getting the avatar score just to show you how it works and what to do. I definitely recommend moving fast! Don't stand still, move around and toward the petpets.

Finally just BARELY beat AAA! 159, I didn't think I could break 150, I did so some years back, but never really "went for it" again. I tried the staying in the corner thing, but had more petpets spawn near Balthazar's entry point than usual. Weird, right?

Anyway, I'm not chasing all of AAA scores. I'm more prize and/or ability-oriented right now. Some games I know I couldn't get AAA's score on anyway. I'll be happy just getting all gold check marks, even if that only means a Silver trophy. Can't do much with a trophy except bragging rights, can't sell 'em or trade 'em. So they're not worth a lot in the grand scheme of things. ;) At least not in a game like Neopets. Fun is also more important! XD