Is there anything that makes you angry about Neopets?

Arlo

They removed all the games that were quick NP earners. Key Quest, Habitarium, and now Ghoul Catchers. Now, the only way to earn lots of NPs year round is investing in stocks or Food Club and crossing your fingers, and maybe Battledome. Unless you're good at restocking, and most people aren't. The flash games don't award enough NPs for me to bother, and lots of them are gonna be gone in ~3 months. I don't have high hopes that ALL of the flash games will be converted to HTML5. I guarantee many of the good ones will be lost. It's not fun for me to earn NPs anymore cause it takes way more effort now for me to earn way less NPs. Sometimes you'll get lucky with dailies, but I find I don't even wanna bother with that anymore either cause most of the time, I get next to nothing. And it doesn't feel rewarding to click a button and win a huge prize instantly anyway. It's exciting, but not rewarding. I'm not hating on anyone that likes doing dailies, this is just my take.

Battledome is random chance what you get. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. It's a good way to make NPs, but again, it doesn't feel rewarding. The prizes don't increase in value the stronger you get. If you have an untrained pet and a Cursed Elixir, you can get some of the best prizes from the Kreludan Defender Robot. So to me, there's no reason to train my pets anymore other than to see stats go up, or to prove you can beat a harder enemy. If someone can beat a harder enemy, they should get better rewards. You can cap the NPs on an easy opponent in under 5 minutes, so at least make the prizes on the harder opponents better.

I wish Habitarium and Key Quest were kept.... even if they had to rework the reward system.

I had absolutely shit wifi back when I first played neopets and Key Quest was so stressful, but I really wish I could play it now......

Habitarium was so good and chill, and it really added dimension to the petpetpets? made me really care about those little critters

I really liked Habitarium, but honestly Key Quest was better. It was basically a Neopets version of Mario Party, but online. It was online Mario Party before online Mario Party existed. Best part is that it was free! Me and my friend played the dung out of that game. Good times. Of course, the one fatal flaw with Key Quest: whoever had a better connection would have an inherent advantage. Still, they were the best two games on the site, and now they're faded into memories and archived videos.

Oh yeah another thing that I just remembered that makes me mad, is the number of rng avatars!!

I get that the uncertainty is to make things a challenge for avi collectors, and allow lucky people to flex......

But imo there should be a clear range set, to help manage expectations!

For example the Lever of Doom avatar 😡

I feel like if you spend 500k total on the Lever... you should automatically get it.  There can still be those lucky few that dont spend more than 10k, but it would really make people feel like theyre at least approaching the limit as they spend more neopoints, instead of sinking their np into a black hole for NOTHING.

Is there even a strategy for the Lever? 

3 hours ago, mildvermillion said:

Oh yeah another thing that I just remembered that makes me mad, is the number of rng avatars!!

I get that the uncertainty is to make things a challenge for avi collectors, and allow lucky people to flex......

But imo there should be a clear range set, to help manage expectations!

For example the Lever of Doom avatar 😡

I feel like if you spend 500k total on the Lever... you should automatically get it.  There can still be those lucky few that dont spend more than 10k, but it would really make people feel like theyre at least approaching the limit as they spend more neopoints, instead of sinking their np into a black hole for NOTHING.

Is there even a strategy for the Lever? 

I think that's kind of part of the fun - the highly frustrating fun admittedly. If you knew you were going to get it within a certain frame of money then it removes all the doubt and chance from the game. 

I do wish Habi was still around. It was an easy way to make np, yes, but it was also just a great game to play! So much less annoying that mindlessly hammering out fifty goes of level 1 on Ghoul Catchers. At some point I need to see if I can beat Faerieland before December but I really can't be bothered in honesty!

The game review scores annoy me. You get held over for 24-48 hours and lose any chance you might have had at a trophy in that time. Or double np bonuses or anything similar. Particularly when the score is easily achievable like the 12,000 arbitrary limit in Crisis Courier.

57 minutes ago, Secre said:

The game review scores annoy me. You get held over for 24-48 hours and lose any chance you might have had at a trophy in that time. Or double np bonuses or anything similar. Particularly when the score is easily achievable like the 12,000 arbitrary limit in Crisis Courier.

The game review limits are ridiculous! I play Wrath of the Snowager every day because it's an easy 3k for 100k points, but sometimes my score gets reviewed at 105000 and not at 130000. Their algorithm is all kinds of wrong 😕

3 hours ago, CoconutDragon said:

Their algorithm is all kinds of wrong

I wonder if they even have such things as algorithms. 🤔 Don't forget Neopets maybe predates things like algorithms by about 100 years. 🙃 They do have an awful lot of positively prehistoric code though, and, well, Meepits... 😅

image.png.e041a286a2c15f6c15e5e47b32019e1a.png

The Lever of Doom was designed to take NPs out of circulation.

Also, Habitarium was removed because the rights to the game were owned by Viacom. So once JumpStart took over, they couldn't keep it anymore. Habitarium will never come back unless somehow the current owners get the rights to it from Viacom.

Key Quest was lost because they lost the data for it, and didn't bother replacing it. Still makes me angry. I understand why Habitarium had to go, but come on. At least try to re-program Key Quest.

Ah I didnt realise that was the reason for Habitarium's closing 😞 Thanks for the info!

On 9/2/2020 at 8:47 PM, MysteryAF said:

Key Quest was lost because they lost the data for it, and didn't bother replacing it.

rsz_keyquest.png.f5dedbe2cc3b1af1d49ed418384a5fb9.png

On 9/2/2020 at 4:22 PM, Secre said:

I think that's kind of part of the fun - the highly frustrating fun admittedly. If you knew you were going to get it within a certain frame of money then it removes all the doubt and chance from the game

Also I personally dont find that fun, but that's probably just me.....

Even if the max cap were to be put at a billion, I still like to be able to set my expectations in advance. If I happened to get it 10k neopoints in, I would feel really thrilled regardless, and I don think thats significantly diminished by the existence of a max cap. But if I were to sink in a LOT of neopoints in, I would like the comfort that at least I'm APPROACHING the avie and that could give some hope.

I understand it as a channel to remove neopoints from the economy, but if all I'm receiving from it is an rng chance at an avatar, that just feels like a bad system to me.......

21 hours ago, MysteryAF said:

The Lever of Doom was designed to take NPs out of circulation.

Also, Habitarium was removed because the rights to the game were owned by Viacom. So once JumpStart took over, they couldn't keep it anymore. Habitarium will never come back unless somehow the current owners get the rights to it from Viacom.

Key Quest was lost because they lost the data for it, and didn't bother replacing it. Still makes me angry. I understand why Habitarium had to go, but come on. At least try to re-program Key Quest.

I didn't realise that was the reason we lost either game! So yeah, unless they can come up with a Habi alternative that is different enough to avoid copyright, that ones out. But Key Quest should be able to be brought back if they'd put the work in!

I'll tell ya what makes me mad about Neopets. Getting an "Access Denied" screen when I desperately need Sticky Snowballs for the Charity Corner event.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh yes, Habitarium. I miss that game. It was the only way I really earning NPs. Made my first (and probably last lol) 10mill that way. I figured the reason for closing it was a NPs issue and that it was owned by another company. Oh well, maybe one day they will bring it back.

I loved KQ too but had a crappy pc and it would be soooooo slow. So I didn't play it all that much. It was still a fun game tho.

2 hours ago, Angeló said:

OMG i only just saw what these meepits are doing !!

They killed a fellow petpet !! Rotawheel RIP 

I'm sure they're just... re-wiring it... @___@

Don't believe that for one second to be honest. >_<

Maybe, to quote Bart Simpson, it was like that when they got here.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:00 AM, MysteryAF said:

I'll tell ya what makes me mad about Neopets. Getting an "Access Denied" screen when I desperately need Sticky Snowballs for the Charity Corner event.

If only I knew...

What makes me mad about Neopets is these ghouls stealing my NPs... Someone really needs to do something about these rascals! They're climbin' in our windows snatching our NPs up!!!

Lately I would say the way people are so easily frozen for refreshing. There are a lot of avatars that require you to just spam refresh on a certain page. I've been trying to go through those avatars lately and I always try to be slow so I don't have to worry about it - makes the process annoying.

• 3 weeks later...

A few things for sure lol

-The lack of good plots. I swear the last decent plot was the faeries‘ ruin, which was what, five years ago? I’d love another good plot like the ones from the golden age of Neopets. I think even another battledome centric plot like the obelisk would be good, at least that gives people incentive to train their pets.

-The quality of new colors is so hit and miss, I feel like not a lot of effort was gone into them at all, like the mutant wocky and vandagyre.

-That they got rid of key quest and habitarium and now ghoul catchers. If they get rid of food club too I’m never going to be able to make NP lol

-The conversion. I’ve never understood the thought process behind letting some pet/color combos remain uc if they were painted before the conversion. People in general love buying clothes and stuff for their pets, letting people have the option of creating new uc pets if they want wouldn’t have significantly lessened the amount of people who would spend money on nc, it would have made the whole black market uc ring nonexistent, and those hundreds and hundreds of players that left in droves because of the conversion probably would still be playing. Seems like a win win!

1 minute ago, iyavi said:

People in general love buying clothes and stuff for their pets, letting people have the option of creating new uc pets if they want wouldn’t have significantly lessened the amount of people who would spend money on nc, it would have made the whole black market uc ring nonexistent, and those hundreds and hundreds of players that left in droves because of the conversion probably would still be playing. Seems like a win win!

I recall Snarkie commenting on the whole conversion issue, and that they regretted not straight-up converting every single species/colour rather than cherry picking. Pound chat would certainly be a lot less active these days...

Just now, CoconutDragon said:

I recall Snarkie commenting on the whole conversion issue, and that they regretted not straight-up converting every single species/colour rather than cherry picking. Pound chat would certainly be a lot less active these days...

Yeah, if they wouldn’t let people make UCs I would have much rather them have had converted all the pets. Adding onto that thought, I wish krawks and draiks were still expensive. At least those are things you can actively get yourself, even if it does take a while to save up for them. UC trading relies on the whims of the PC lol

14 hours ago, iyavi said:

I’d love another good plot like the ones from the golden age of Neopets.

I think we all would, but right now TNT clearly does not have anyone who has any creative writing skills. 😅 Gutterfoot's comment in that recent Q&A shows us we dodged a bullet in this area.

image.png.7e01ddd07500806f71d674be1bd71070.png

I hope she didn't get into trouble for saying that, I'm loving her honesty right now and I hope she can maintain it.

I think many Neopians maybe forget, or possibly don't even think of, the fact that original TNT were a whole bunch of VERY creative people; where as now they're just Jumpstart staff who got put in charge of Neopets. We should probably be grateful for no plot. We only got the ones we did because of persistent baying on the boards.

But, constantly yelling for something can't magically make that something be good when the people being yelled at finally cave in to pressure and produce it. 🥴