Anxious and scared about flying

Luxina

So tomorrow i head out for a very long day, going to Pennsylvania from Germany to visit my family, from Germany to New York (ugh stress) is going to be 8-9 hour flight, and then another flight to Pittsburgh, but I'm just so terrified of flying, i have flown so many times but the feeling still stays the same and i can't find any way to calm myself down, my boyfriend is accompanying me on the flight and will be sitting next to me and try's his best to calm me down but nothing seems to work, i force myself to stay seated the whole 8 hour flight just because I'm too scared to get up and walk around or even to go to the restroom! 

Any frequent flyers have any advice on what i could do to calm myself down more? the one thing i get scared about the most when i fly is the turbulence, it makes my heartbeat skyrocket and i automatically think the worst things when that happens, my mind just thinks the worst, the longer we are in the air the more time there is for something to go wrong! i wish i could get myself out of this mindset and just enjoy the flight or just see it as an inconvenience but its more of an anxiety trip for me. 

The only tip I can think of is to chew gum when the plan takes off so your ears don't pop. 

Maybe someone who flies more than I do and/or has to deal with anxiety like that can be more helpful.

Bring headphones, load some of your favourite movies on your phone. you can keep you phone on airplane mode and watch them. most international flights should have a spot to charge your phone at your seat.

bring gum. a favourite book, load your favourite albums onto your phone as well. bring as many little things like that that make you feel comfortable at home.

bring something like gravol that will help you sleep through the flight, it'll also help if you get motion sick.

If you are worried about walking on the plane, talk to your boyfriend, let him know that you may need help getting to and from the bathroom because of your nerves.

Turbulence isn't fun, but I promise you the 2 people flying the plane know exactly what they are doing, and have done it hundreds even thousands of times before. You have nothing to worry about.

Luxina I am also afraid of flying since I am afraid of heights. But last year I went with my little sister (she is also afraid for the same reason) , and my uncle and aunt to orlando, florida from my hometown in new york and it was my first time in an airplane. I went through some turbulence on the flight back and I was scared but it wasn't that bad after the fact. The best advice I can give you is to sit in the aisle seat, think of positive things if possible, and bring some things to distract you. One thing I realized while flying is that after takeoff the plane feels like being a passenger on a bus. Going to the bathroom on the plane isn't too different than going at home. I may not be a frequent flier, but I do know about having anxiety and fear when flying so I hope this helps.

When my wife and I found out we had won a cruise, we were ecstatic...until we found out we'd be flown down there (let alone on 4 planes total, two there and two back).  Neither of us had ever been on an airplane before...and we're both fairly terrified of heights (I'm worse than she is).  Strangely enough, neither of us were scared for long...takeoff was rough (she was worried about all the noises) and turbulence surprised us the first time;  after that, I mentioned to her exactly what was said earlier:  As long as the pilots aren't scared (they'll come on and direct people on what to do if something is going wrong), there's really no reason that you should be.

Yes, everything that Sid already said!!

I'm scared every time I fly... and I fly fairly often. I actually have lots of phobias - and my lifetime practice is one of releasing fear (being afraid of things that probably will never happen) and living in the now (I was missing beautiful, gorgeous views from above!) So I tend to have that sort of advice ;)

Remember that travelling so far, although common in our society, is still a marvel. (My gratitude practice quells so many fears, believe it or not! I let myself get full on that feeling instead of anxiety).

It's a beautiful trip - and you will get through it =)

Also: movies, music, books (& I was also going to suggest sleeping pills)... anything that will transport your mind to another place. Enjoy Germany! 

One of my favorite pieces of advice is to watch the faces of the flight attendants, especially during turbulence. They are always so calm, and it usually makes me feel better. I figure that they've been flying for long enough that if something is actually worrisome, it'll show on their faces.

Have a great flight! I studied abroad in Germany last semester, and I loved it :D 

You are going to be just fine :)  

My 1st experience flying was with a newborn who could not calm down and just kept crying. He was my youngest. But as far as babies, he usually was the calmest. I started singing to him, the whole cabin started singing too and in no time he was asleep, lol. 

Trust me when I say that everyone starts from the beginning. Worried and nervous is normal. It gets better. Gum and your favorite music playing in your ears help alot. 

I wish you a good trip and great vacation :)

I'm the opposite; I love flying! To me turbulence on a plane is just a bumpy road in a vehicle, except that the airplane is made out of waaayyy stronger stuff than your car or a bus. Imagine a tiny motorbike on a windy day. Maybe not the ideal situation. Now compare that to a huge airplane with humongous engines (extra weight and power to blast through stuffs), and without the worries of road obstacles? I'd rather be on a plane any day. Plus the pilots have so many gauges and radars they know exactly what is going on at all times. I think part of the fear comes from not knowing exactly what's going on, because flying a plane can seem tricky. But rest assured, that's why we stay on the passenger side, and leave it to the professionals ;]

I also love flying and want a window seat to watch the entire thing unfold, takeoff to landing. From the small experience I have of using a flight simulator, flying is the easiest part of the ride, taxiing the plane is the hard part. Like someone said above, the pilots have plenty of experience flying, turbulence and all. Since you'll be flying international and over the ocean, you'll probably be on a bigger plane. The bigger the plane, the less turbulence you should feel; kind of how you'll feel more rocking on a small boat than on a huge cruise liner.