Laptop core running at 140 CELCIUS

SidtheSnail

so I've bought a desktop to replace the laptop, but i want to be able to preserve the laptop for travel and stuff. 

Im running:

tumblr_nxxzsqyTwk1qc2pf2o2_r1_1280.jpg

I've opened it out, slathered on some thermal paste, but thats only brought it down to about 110. I know optimal peak is supposed to be somewhere around 80.

does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

I've not got anything useful to suggest other than what Rune already said, my laptop sits on a small notepad to tilt it up and free the fan. I've downloaded that Piriform though, that's a cool thing that I didn't know about, so thanks :D

My poor old lappy's specs are a bit embarrassing compared to yours, lol. But then again mine's not overheating either  :shiftyeyes_anim: Having said that, it's only 16/60 degrees in this room :laughingsmiley: I see you're in Canada, go sit outside with it? (you didn't specify that suggestions needed to be useful)

piriform_zpsuwp1ape8.png

Do you use a laptop fan of any kind? I use one that props the laptop up some and lets the air circulate under it and that seems to keep it cool.
I have a cool master one, ive been using it since day one of laptop haha it props up and has a variable speed fan and lights and junk

I've not got anything useful to suggest other than what Rune already said, my laptop sits on a small notepad to tilt it up and free the fan. I've downloaded that Piriform though, that's a cool thing that I didn't know about, so thanks :D

My poor old lappy's specs are a bit embarrassing compared to yours, lol. But then again mine's not overheating either :shiftyeyes_anim: Having said that, it's only 16/60 degrees in this room :laughingsmiley: I see you're in Canada, go sit outside with it? (you didn't specify that suggestions needed to be useful)

piriform_zpsuwp1ape8.png

(I think I screwed up and this is gonna double post, sorry)

Slower working is better than occasionally fuming black smoke and doing funny things. I try to leave it off and unplugged and un-batteried because it likes to boot itself up randomly and its 100% a fire hazard. but its only 3 years old,

That's not good for only 3 years old D:< but then all laptops are built to break now, aren't they, so even 3 years probably needs to be classed as good, doesn't it : / By that standard this one's positively antique at 7 years old. It doesn't like the summer at all, it shows me its displeasure by shutting down without warning when it overheats. It was after it did that a few times that I started propping it up to give the fan more air. Really doesn't help that the fan's exhaust is blocked by the bottom of the screen :rolleyes_anim: Shame that I had to learn this was a badly design machine from using it, but I know what to look for/avoid for my next one!

WOW Sid, that's insanely HOT! You could probably use it to open up a hole in the ice for ice fishing! (I understand that that's a rather popular sport in the winter) I read that you've got a fan for it, maybe you should take it into a local tech's or something and have them look at it? I don't have a laptop, but I did have a tower a number of years ago, where the fan died inside where the power cord plugged in. Thing actually blew it's alarm a few times before we had to get it replaced!   No black smoke (YIKES!) or that electrical burning smell. I kept cold stuff like alternating frozen lemon juice bottles on it. After taking the tower cover off. lol And of COURSE had a towel between the juice and the powerhouse, because condensation getting in there would be OH so bad! ;) But that internal alarm was SO loud, it was like you were inside a Firehouse when the alarm blows. Woah!

Anyway, my best advice would be to take it to someone with technical expertise with laptops that like to run hot. Considering it's Celsius, I'm kind of amazed nothing has exploded! Especially with the smoke and smell. O_o Good luck!

Oh geez, 140 degrees? o_O Like others suggested, I'd say to get one of those cooling fans and prop your laptop up a bit on top of one - they can get a little noisy, but it's better than having things melt or go awry.

I'd also suggest taking it to some kind of computer repair shop if a cooling fan does nothing, cus that high of a temperature doesn't sound remotely safe.

Sid's already specified that he uses a cool pad and it's not helping. Aside from cleaning out the dust and debris from inside. I'm at a loss on what to do, since I know he's already done a thorough cleaning. Other then perhaps a program running in the background. I know this may be a last resort, but maybe some settings got fudged, could do a complete restore and see if there's any improvements there. But I'm leaning towards the motherboard being the issue. May need a replacing. Can you take it in to somewhere for diagnostics? I took my Macbook in to Staples and their rates were more reasonable then any other place.

I checked mine and my CPU is running at 34* C, which is fine. Seeing as you already use a cooling pad.. It's a good thing to clean computers from time to time as dust does collect there. Besides from that, maybe going back to the store you bought it from is a good idea?

WOW Sid, that's insanely HOT! You could probably use it to open up a hole in the ice for ice fishing! (I understand that that's a rather popular sport in the winter) I read that you've got a fan for it, maybe you should take it into a local tech's or something and have them look at it? I don't have a laptop, but I did have a tower a number of years ago, where the fan died inside where the power cord plugged in. Thing actually blew it's alarm a few times before we had to get it replaced!   No black smoke (YIKES!) or that electrical burning smell. I kept cold stuff like alternating frozen lemon juice bottles on it. After taking the tower cover off. lol And of COURSE had a towel between the juice and the powerhouse, because condensation getting in there would be OH so bad! ;) But that internal alarm was SO loud, it was like you were inside a Firehouse when the alarm blows. Woah!

Anyway, my best advice would be to take it to someone with technical expertise with laptops that like to run hot. Considering it's Celsius, I'm kind of amazed nothing has exploded! Especially with the smoke and smell. o_O Good luck!

I went to Memory Express when I bought the thermal paste and talked to them, they said it would be 85$ just to look at it, not even do anything about it, and unfortunately thats not in my budget if they arent gonna fix it for that haha

Sid's already specified that he uses a cool pad and it's not helping. Aside from cleaning out the dust and debris from inside. I'm at a loss on what to do, since I know he's already done a thorough cleaning. Other then perhaps a program running in the background. I know this may be a last resort, but maybe some settings got fudged, could do a complete restore and see if there's any improvements there. But I'm leaning towards the motherboard being the issue. May need a replacing. Can you take it in to somewhere for diagnostics? I took my Macbook in to Staples and their rates were more reasonable then any other place.

I didn't think to try staples!!

I checked mine and my CPU is running at 34* C, which is fine. Seeing as you already use a cooling pad.. It's a good thing to clean computers from time to time as dust does collect there. Besides from that, maybe going back to the store you bought it from is a good idea?

I bought it from best buy, and they wont deal with a product if its out of warranty. these problems started happening like 2 weeks after the warranty expired (as it always seems to go)

I went to Memory Express when I bought the thermal paste and talked to them, they said it would be 85$ just to look at it, not even do anything about it, and unfortunately thats not in my budget if they arent gonna fix it for that haha

I didn't think to try staples!!

I bought it from best buy, and they wont deal with a product if its out of warranty. these problems started happening like 2 weeks after the warranty expired (as it always seems to go)

Staples will charge $50 for diagnostics no matter how long it takes. I had my Macbook in for a week and a half with the tech and that's all I was charged. They'll tell you what's wrong and give you the option of repairing now with the costs up front and I don't think I had to pay until I picked it up from them. You could always give them a call and ask for advice and see what their best guess is. :)

How-To-Geek has this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/67660/how-to-diagnose-and-fix-an-overheating-laptop/, but everyone has mentioned most of those suggestions, so far. Battery could still be an issue, as I didn't see that mentioned. However, I'm sure that may have already been checked. Double what Aquamentis12 said, meaning the internal fan(s) could be bad. Do you ever hear them kick-in or spin or can you feel airflow coming out? Could be a stretch, but is there a BIOS update available? It is possible this could be a known issue and a BIOS update was made to correct it. Not common, sure, but could be worth a check. Also, some BIOS have it to where you can set the voltage levels for the processor. If that is the case, could the settings have changed and the voltages are set too high (can cause overheating, especially with "overclocking")? Finally, it could be something with the motherboard, as a voltage or heat sensing circuit could be going bad. Hopefully not. Common problems I've seen with desktops are usually dust/debris build up, blocked vents, and fans stopped working. Good luck!

EDIT: It could be possible the temperatures reported may not be accurate. Does it feel hot to the touch? Does it shutdown when it gets too hot? Or does it seem it works as it has been, but you just noticed the temps?

the computer is extremely hot to the touch, sometimes i have to plug in an external keyboard to use it. Fans are working, I cracked the computer open and cleaned everything like 2.5 weeks ago when i applied the new thermal paste. 

I have checked my bios, and the battery doesnt seem like its getting hot. 

I booked a meeting with someone at staples for thursday, we will see what they have to say

It could be that the CPU is malfunctioning or that the design is terrible. I have the same problem as you but I'm on a desktop. I have the AMD A10-5800K CPU and it's running on 57C on idle. I have seen it go to 90C on idle. I reapplied thermal paste and changed my case, put a heat-sinker in and nothing helps. When I reapplied thermal paste I swear I can see burnt marks. I'm guessing that AMD has terrible design. My CPU is around 2 years as well but I don't think I've noticed it until I put a graphics card in and looked at the specs. My friend said it could be the graphics card that's bottle-necked it but we agreed it's probably the CPU. But to change the CPU I would have to change the motherboard and I don't think it's worth the time and investment. But if you ever do change the CPU, I would suggest going for intel.

It could be that the CPU is malfunctioning or that the design is terrible. I have the same problem as you but I'm on a desktop. I have the AMD A10-5800K CPU and it's running on 57C on idle. I have seen it go to 90C on idle. I reapplied thermal paste and changed my case, put a heat-sinker in and nothing helps. When I reapplied thermal paste I swear I can see burnt marks. I'm guessing that AMD has terrible design. My CPU is around 2 years as well but I don't think I've noticed it until I put a graphics card in and looked at the specs. My friend said it could be the graphics card that's bottle-necked it but we agreed it's probably the CPU. But to change the CPU I would have to change the motherboard and I don't think it's worth the time and investment. But if you ever do change the CPU, I would suggest going for intel.

My heat sink is blacked where it connects to the CPU itself. I know for a fact that ADM runs hotter than intel but it isnt supposed to get this hot haha.

I'll see whats said Thursday, it may not even be worth my time since I got my desktop (which is an I7 core)

My heat sink is blacked where it connects to the CPU itself. I know for a fact that ADM runs hotter than intel but it isnt supposed to get this hot haha.

I'll see whats said Thursday, it may not even be worth my time since I got my desktop (which is an I7 core)

If it turns out to be that pooched, you might be better off getting a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard for travelling. They're lighter and a bit more convenient. Only downfall is the screen is smaller. My husband and I got an iPad in September rather then a laptop so he could take it to school with him and look things up for his classes. Not saying to go with Apple since they're prices are generally more, but a tablet might be a better option then getting your laptop fixed. Have to weigh in the costs. I hope Staples has some good news for you and can tell you what's wrong with it.

Eventually I need to take my old laptop in to get it diagnosed and I'll be taking it in to Staples for sure.