Shockwave x plugin - games.

Venerian

usul_faerie_baby.gif

ERROR : You don't have the latest Shockwave x plugin.

You can download the plugin here:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download

Upon successful installation, please restart your computer, reload this game, and enjoy! Contact the customer support of www.macromedia.com for any issues with upgrading this plugin.

This is probably a well known issue. I would like to play some games and get some more gam avvies. But I am not able to. First I could just install this shockwave version and it mostly worked. But now I updated to windows 10, and it is not working anymore. Any tips/topics on this? 

usul_faerie_baby.gif

ERROR : You don't have the latest Shockwave x plugin.

You can download the plugin here:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download

Upon successful installation, please restart your computer, reload this game, and enjoy! Contact the customer support of www.macromedia.com for any issues with upgrading this plugin.

This is probably a well known issue. I would like to play some games and get some more gam avvies. But I am not able to. First I could just install this shockwave version and it mostly worked. But now I updated to windows 10, and it is not working anymore. Any tips/topics on this? 

I have a feeling you are trying to play "Gourmet Club Bowls", "Hannah and The Pirate Caves" (HaTPC), and/or "Attack of the Slorgs". All have avatars you can "win", and all use Adobe Shockwave. Unfortunately, the outlook is not good. Firefox generally gives a "DGS" error, when trying to load the games, even if you try it a couple of times. If you try Internet Explorer 11, you will have to add "neopets.com" to "Compatibility View Settings". Even then, IE11 still has problems. If you play "Attack of the Slorgs", IE11 may let you post your score the first time you play, but after that, posting your score takes you to the "Load Soundtrack" page, and your subsequence scores are never posted. Also, I experienced "stability issues" where the game would just freeze. Not sure if an "ad blocker" would help that, but being unable to post scores, kinda makes it moot for using IE11. Both Gourmet Club Bowls and HaTPC have issues with IE11, too. Both display a big, black square, in the top, left quadrant of the screen. Unfortunately, you cannot see what you are doing or aiming at in that section. And, with HaTPC, you can try to start the game, but when it says, "Press Jump To Start", nothing happens. It acts as if you never tapped or pressed the space bar on your keyboard. I believe Gourmet Club Bowls also displays a "DGS" error with IE11. (It's been a while since I tried it). None of the games will work with Chrome, if you are using the latest version. Google decided to stop supporting certain plugins with their browser - Silverlight, Java, Unity 3D, and Shockwave, to name a few. Since Windows 10 is so new, and sometimes older software is not supported, I'm not sure if you would be able to install an older version of Chrome. I haven't tried Opera, so maybe someone else has had success with it. I haven't upgraded to Windows 10, yet, so I do not know if "Edge" will work or supports Shockwave. The only other "work-around" I've found is Safari. Yes, Safari is no longer available for Windows at Apple, but I was able to find the last release (5.1.7) for download. "Attack of the Slorgs" works fine, but there is an issue with Gourmet Club Bowls. It is still workable, and if you are careful, you can get a high enough score for the avatar and maybe even a trophy, as not many people can play the game. Sadly, HaTPC still has the "black square" issue, but at least you can still play the game. It will start when you "Press Jump To Start". However, the black square can make it difficult to play. Again, Safari for Windows is older software, so I do not know if Windows 10 will even allow it to be installed. YouTube does give a message that the browser is too old and to upgrade to a new browser, but Neopets doesn't give any errors of that nature and I only use it for those games. If Safari does work on Windows 10, you may want to install an "ad blocker", as it may help with game performance. My little netbook doesn't have much memory and all of the Flash ads "eats it up", causing freezing or slow performance. Personally, I believe they (Neopets) needs to update the code for these games, as they reference IE 8, Netscape, and 2008, or be updated to Flash or HTML 5, or go the way of the Game Graveyard or retire the avatars. If you use the direct link to the games, they play fine, with no issues or "black squares" - you just can't post your scores. (And that is why I believe the HTML/javascript code to "load" the games needs to be updated). Hopefully, other TDNers will post if anything else works for them or not.

EDIT: I tried Gourmet Club Bowls with IE 11 and it worked on my Windows 7, 32 bit computer. I still had to add "neopets.com" in IE 11's "Compatibility View Settings", even for Neopets to display properly. The game gave an error message when trying to play it, but closing and trying again, it worked. The big, black square went away somewhat. Parts disappeared when going through the instructions, and only a long black rectangle remained at the top, left corner. You could not see the current scores and round, but all of the "bowling green" was visible. I didn't play long enough to submit a score, but it seemed to be working. HaTPC still had the same problems as before, along with "Attack of the Slorgs", which still "froze" and even Windows displayed an error message. IE 11 is available in Windows 10. It is not located on the desktop and you have to hunt it down. If your Windows 10 is 64-bit, I believe IE 11 still works like it did in Windows 7 64-bit, where IE opens in 64-bit mode, and the "tabs" are opened in 32-bit mode. So, if "Dr. Grumps" is on your list of avies, it might be possible to get with Windows 10 and IE 11. Unfortunately I'm not able to test with windows 10. Oh, if it does work, don't forget to type "shepherd" (without the quotes) at the main start screen of Gourmet Club Bowls. As I learned from the TDN guide, it will double your end of round scores, making it a little easier to get the 900+ for the avatar.

EDIT EDIT - 2 Oct 15: "Dice Escape" is a Shockwave game and one that gives an avatar, too. I got it last night, with the excellent help of the TDN game guide for it - it gives you instructions to pass all levels! However, I was only able to post my score using IE 11, with Neopets.com in "Compatibility View Settings". Game was slow for me, as I do not know of an "ad blocker" for it. I could play the game with both Firefox and Safari, but my scores would not post. I saw on a "neoboard" where someone recommended Opera, too, but I have not tried Opera. So, get those avatars!!!

EDIT EDIT EDIT - 2 Oct 15: Has any of this worked for anyone else? I can't be the only one this is working for...I am not that lucky.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:27 AM, kitty_kat837 said:

Unable to play at all now cause the Shockwave player is no longer available. They shut it down so the link given to update doesn't work and now I can't play at all...

Try downloading it from here. I don't really use that site, so, use with caution:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/adobe-shockwave-10-1-3-018