about unpopular neopets.

MagicSpyglass

so, i looked at all four of my pet's race and i got these results:

in 16th place are the ixi. this means that Galient_learner's race is some-what popular.

in 24th place are the peophins. i have not seen much starry Peophins around however, which is a shame! so SHE must be slightly less popular when it comes to race+color. her name is Fruitfulsea btw if you want to look at her!  :D

in 35th place are the techos! they are less popular than other neopets. and add to the fact that my techo Sheena_1484 is pirate adds to how 'unpopular' he is.

in 40th place are the ogrin. i feel bad that Qween_Lile's race is so unpopular! 

i'm not counting pets that you can't create normaly. 

this just shows that we should try and not care on how rare a neopet is :( i love Qween as much as Galient and i will never give ANY of them away! 

so, do you want to share about your unpopular neopets? make sure that you can get them by creating them on whatever day you want!

I couldn't find the popularity page, but I'm on my phone so it's harder to navigate.

I actually think it's great you have species that aren't popular! It shows you're unique and don't follow the crowd! Way to go!

I loved Quiggles before they were converted, and HAD to have one!

I used to "babysit" my son's neopets but he wouldn't let me adopt a Quiggle on his account because they were ugly and nobody liked them! So I had to start my own account lol.

I totally fell in love with that quirky smile! Quigukis are the main focus of my gallery too.

I love my Quiggle and wouldn't trade her for all of Neopia! ?

I like all neopet spiecies. I really don't care about popularity. I choose my pets because I liked them. Not because I thought they'd be popular. My Grarrl, Shoyru, Shorchio, Krawk (previous Tuskanniny) and Draik (since I became a premium member) are all part of my familly. :)

I found the the popularity page after some searching: http://www.neopets.com/topneopets.phtml

I had no idea about pet popularity as I pick pets I like. Some of my pets are also the result of zaps.

My pets:

a kacheek (currently a lenny, but will be changing back) - 2nd

a kau - 22nd

a buzz - 37th

a lenny (side) - 42nd

a shoyru (side) - 1st

an elephante (side) - 29th 

a gelert (side) - 10th

My permanent pets are half popular and half not so popular.  I have a Kacheek (2nd), Aisha (20th), Ogrin (40th), and a Lenny (42nd).  Two of them were a Zafara (18th) and Kyrii (27th).

I only really pay attention to popularity when zapping to try to know when it is a good time to put a put in the pound or up for adoption.

I don't understand about the popularity thing. Wouldn't rare neopets be less popular because they're rare?

Exactly. Pets are ranked by how often they are created, however some pets can't be created as often as others, so they are going to seem less popluar, even if a lot of people actually do have that pet. For example, many people have draiks that were obtained by morphing other pets, but the ranking for draiks counts only for those that were hatched from eggs, something that is not as common. Along those lines, it also doesn't count pets that are adopted (other than grundos at the Virtupets space station), so that also could affect their ranking.

In the case of pets that can be created at anytime, where rankings are more accurate in regards to popularity, I don't really like this page. I think there are enough problems with people focusing on popularity in life without us bringing attention to virtual pets. However, it is not a main focus on the site and I would think (hope) that most neopets users get pets because they like the species, regardless of popularity.

My pets vary in the rankings, but of course no matter, I love them all!

It would be a lot more interesting (and accurate!) if it could be sorted so it showed things like how many of each pet had been made in the last day/week/month/year.

I don't really look at that list, because I don't think it's really accurate. 

I think most people choose a Neopet species based on what they like most. Probably some are about status, avatars, or whatever. But I think mostly just about what attracts you. 

For me I just like certain animals better, like cats, foxes, wolves, dogs, otters, mice.. pretty much most furry mammals I guess. Which kind of reflexs in my Neopet choices, Lupe, Gelert, Xweetok. And I have no idea how far up or down the popularity ladder they are. Also the colours I want to paint them in and the art are a part of of why I want  a certain species.  

The first pet I created when I joined neopets was a yellow Kacheeck (they looked so cute to me)! Then I adopted an Ixi because I really loved how they look. Right now my yellow Kacheek is my lovely faerie Lenny (no regrets) but I still have my adorable Ixi, now turned into Darigan :wub_anim:

Unpopular neopets have some advantages too: For example you have more chances to win the Neopets Beauty Contest (or having a BC trophy) on their species because there are less people joining them. (Except for Krawks and Draiks who have hard times on competition, it usually works that way). :P

2º - Kacheek

5º - Xweetok

- Acara

26º - Bori

51º - Hissi

52º  - Lutari

My Favorite one is Acaras :3

I honestly never even gave a thought to adopting pets based on whether or not they were popular. That being said, most of my pets just happen to one ones that you can only create on their pet days, leading to them being lower on the "popular" list. My favorite is my Chomby girl, she's so cute! <3

Two Xweetoks (5th) an Usul (12th) and a Zafara (18th) and I was going to get a Ruki (39th) but apparently they're premium now. Oh well. And I may eventually get a Lenny (42nd) just for the Plague Doctor outfit.

Here is a list of my pets, with their popularity rank:

Kyrii - 27th

Nimmo - 33rd

Lenny - 42nd

Wocky - 15th

Chomby - 49th

Aisha - 20th

JubJub - 7th

It's a mixed board, but I'd say my pets are pretty "unpopular" as a whole.

Like a lot of others have mentioned, that page is a little misleading and inaccurate. I think it could be improved.