Bought my dad a puppy for his birthday

Shane for Wax

Hey all, long time no talk. Been busy. Got a new puppy, a Great Dane. Her name is Ella, full name Eleanor Digby (a pun on Eleanor Rigby). She is only two and a half months old by now, born June 8th or so. Since dad works, it's me and mum taking care of her.

Here she is:

tumblr_nszi3feAUU1qdl4w6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nszi3feAUU1qdl4w6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nszmc8uArq1qdl4w6o1_500.jpg

(there's my mum lol)

Awe!! She's so adorable!!

Looks like she's already becoming a pillow thief! :D Eventually she'll be big enough and take up the entire pillow and then some.

I'm constantly sharing mine with our pup lol. :)

AAAaaawwwwww!!! She is absolutely adorable. She will be very large when she is fully grown. We have three 16 month old puppies: two female texas heelers (full sisters) and a male german shepard. The texas heelers belong to my mom and my oldest brother and the shepard is my step dad's. They were all born in April. Being in a house with three puppies is difficult. My brother's dog Won't. Stop. Barking. We have tried clicker training and she still barks, and wakes everyone up. Does anyone have any tips to stop a dog from barking?

Haha thanks for all the compliments. I need to get some updated pictures because her face has changed a lot since I took the ones I posted.

And yeah she's a pillow thief but it's a good way to bond with all of us, too. And since we finally live in a single floor house with no steps at all I can let her out. :D

We had a Dane before but she kept getting into fights and stuff with our oldest but it seems like it won't be an issue with Ella. 

She comes from really tall parents, though, so it'll be interesting to see how big she gets.

AAAaaawwwwww!!! She is absolutely adorable. She will be very large when she is fully grown. We have three 16 month old puppies: two female texas heelers (full sisters) and a male german shepard. The texas heelers belong to my mom and my oldest brother and the shepard is my step dad's. They were all born in April. Being in a house with three puppies is difficult. My brother's dog Won't. Stop. Barking. We have tried clicker training and she still barks, and wakes everyone up. Does anyone have any tips to stop a dog from barking?

Clicker training doesn't work to stop a behavior. Clicker training is more for doing tricks and calling them to you if you can't whistle/yell for whatever reason. 

It's more suggested that you use a water bottle. It will startle them enough (usually) to get them to stop. But if the dog likes water or gets used to it, it won't work anymore. 

What you have to do is not yell at them. Yelling at them translates as praise sometimes. Especially if you just yell 'no'. The best thing is to use your regular tone of voice and tell them that you heard them or to gently tell them to stop. Eventually they will get the picture in most cases. You can also put yourself in their line of sight and look where they're looking so they feel like you're paying attention to their 'warning'.

Their faces change so fast! Especially when they're still getting all their markings and personality looks. :D

To elaborate on what Shane said for barking...

My pup doesn't bark much at night and when she does it's because she's heard something outside/inside the house or she sees something that isn't right. I often have to let her out at 2am for a potty break and I tell her no barking. Normally it works but sometimes I think she does it in spite lol. Since we live in a small quiet town and barking dogs is not tolerated. I have to be quick at quieting her down. I sternly call her name and tell her "no barking" and to come inside. She usually listens after the first order. If she continues then I go outside and get her. In the house it's the same thing. We sternly, in a whisper voice tell her "no barking, quiet and go back to sleep". Sometimes they're startled by something and need reassurance that everything is alright. Just keep at it and the behavior should calm down. Especially worse when they're pups as they're still learning their surroundings.

In my experience it's never a good idea to ignore a barking dog, no matter how annoying or disruptive. They could be alerting you to something. By learning the different barks your dog has you can better understand why she's barking. My pup has her regular bark when she's startled and her 'alarm' bark, which is when something is not right and needs our attention.

I would love to see some more pictures of Ella as she grows!

I remember my Mom's friend having a Great Dane, I think I was 6 and I could almost stand under him. I was so mesmerized at this very large dog! <3