Unable to cancel Premium membership

coryldork

I am not the only one having this issue, that's for sure. Boards on Charter have people talking about it.

Basically, I go through the cancelling webpages, and when I get to the final confirmation page where I enter my password and hit "Cancel," the page loads to a blank screen.

I've tried in Opera, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Cleared my cache and nothing has worked. Internet Explorer displayed a 500 Server Error, so it is DEFINITELY something with Neopets. 

However, I'm mostly concerned about the legality of this. We are free to cancel at any time, but because of Neopets being broken, we are unable to cancel. If I can't cancel before June 13, I'm being forced to pay another 70$ for a service I don't want and can't afford.

If anyone else is having this issue, please let me know. Is it just with the yearly membership, or is it with all memberships?

I sent a ticket in yesterday, but I don't know if that will get a response. There should be better contact between Premium members and TNT because we are, well, premium. If anyone has email addresses I can contact at Neopets to see if I can get this sorted, I'd really appreciate it (like [email protected] or something. I don't know which ones are used).

(Also, if this is in the wrong topic, I'm sorry!)

Try submitting a private message to them via Facebook as well - unfortunately this has become one of the most reliable sources of support.

Other than that I would just be sure to document everything - take screenshots page by page showing dates etc. Worst case scenario you'll be able to dispute with your bank or paypal.  Be thorough - I know a lot of users are struggling with this right now.

The other thing you could try (which really would be more of a bandage than a fix) would be to try to change your billing cycle from yearly to a different option (I believe there's a quarterly option and monthly option?) so at least you would be charged less if you do get charged?

Thanks for letting me know that their Facebook page is more reliable than their website. I've done that. I don't know what you mean by documenting everything, though.

I'll try changing the billing cycle, but I have barely any idea how to do that.

Edit: Can't change my payment source from my VISA debit to PayPal. No idea how to change the billing cycle now.

Edit2: Tried again, got it to PayPal. It only gives me the option to pay for the annual plan.

Take screen captures of you trying to cancel - so show the button or form or whatever - and then take a screenshot of the blank page that follows. Or keep a log of the exact process that you're using just in case - that way you have definitive proof that you did try to cancel.

Hopefully you get a speedy response and it doesn't come to any of that though ^_^

Edit: Hmm...I'm playing around with my own subscription and I'm wondering if you don't have to be able to get through the cancel membership screen to change your billing cycle.  Sorry I can't help more :(

Okay, so it changed my payment method to PayPal without my confirmation of doing so. I logged in, and I didn't click on "Agree and Pay" and instead clicked on "Cancel and return to Neopets Membership."

That's just... No. Not cool.

Hopefully they respond, yeah.

Edit: I get this far, and then this screen goes completely blank.

2vmbj3m.jpg

I would also try going directly to your visa or paypal by calling them and try explaining to them that you don't want to be charged on the 13th, since its recurring, and that you are unable to cancel on neopets' end. They might be able to block it somehow, especially if you're being charged against your will for a subscription renewal. This is so unfortunate, I'm sorry :(

Yeah, I'll contact my bank (it's a VISA debit and goes to my debit account) to put a Stop Payment on it if I can't cancel through Neopets.

Some people have had luck cancelling, so I don't know why some can and some can't. :/

Go to their FB and post on their wall and send them a private message or two. And there you can also see if others are having the same problem and if they have found a solution, etc. 

Have you tried Mozilla Firefox? 

Yeah, I'll contact my bank (it's a VISA debit and goes to my debit account) to put a Stop Payment on it if I can't cancel through Neopets.

Some people have had luck cancelling, so I don't know why some can and some can't. :/

Do NOT do a stop payment. If neopets has to encounter this you will be charged an additional fee, because thats what I wanted to do and tried to do but I luckily also received a ticket back from TNT warning me about this, and then they personally cancelled for me.

Official TNT Ticket response: 

PLEASE NOTE -- if your bank (rather than Neopets.com)  issues you a refund or stop payment had inccured-- this will result with a "Chargeback" Status on your account. At that point, you will have to pay the original amount of 69.95$+ a 25$ fee.  

Do NOT do a stop payment. If neopets has to encounter this you will be charged an additional fee, because thats what I wanted to do and tried to do but I luckily also received a ticket back from TNT warning me about this, and then they personally cancelled for me.

Official TNT Ticket response: 

PLEASE NOTE -- if your bank (rather than Neopets.com)  issues you a refund or stop payment had inccured-- this will result with a "Chargeback" Status on your account. At that point, you will have to pay the original amount of 69.95$+ a 25$ fee.  

What absolute scum. Seriously. 

I've sent them messages on Facebook, and have been updating a ticket.

I'll try Firefox to cancel.

Edit: Does not work in Firefox. The page is no longer blank, but instead shows "Oops! An error has occurred. Please try again."

I paid with my debit account through a VISA card, basically.

06/12/2015 20:42 PM PDT Solution Suggested  iUser.pngDelilahD. Thank you for writing. I have completed the Membership cancellation on "coryldork" for you today, 06/12/2015. No further steps are necessary for cancellation on this account

Thank goodness.

It seems that the ticket worked (probably on top of my harassment, heh).

Excellent, glad you had it sorted out through the ticket system. Hopefully other people with this issue will get theirs resolved through Customer Support as well.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine).

The original topic has been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.