Hannah and the Pirate Caves

mahlevolence

I recently came back to Neopets after an almost 6 year hiatus. I've been playing games and working on avatars. I discovered that Hannah and the Pirate Caves does not load in Firefox or Chrome. In FF, I get a DGS error. In Chrome, it tells me I don't have Shockwave installed, even though I do. I installed Opera and can get HATPC to load there, but the left side of my screen is black and makes it hard to play. Here are some screenies I took:

20741at.jpg

107uako.jpg

2hwliti.jpg

Does anyone know what would cause this or how to maybe fix it? I just want to get the avatar, but I can't get past level...5, I think it is. And my high score is only 130k-ish because of this. Any help is appreciated!

Same thing happens with Internet Explorer, as you get with Opera. HaTPC uses Adobe Shockwave. My best guess is Shockwave has had so many updates since HaTPC came out, that the game does not display properly or play properly. Gourmet Club Bowls and Attack of the Slogs also use Shockwave and I can't get them to play properly either. I have been able to get attack of the Slorgs to play, with Internet Explorer 11, but I have to add "neopets.com" to "Compatibility View Settings". However, sometimes Attack of the Slorgs "freezes" and I have to reload and start over. I did "Google" and find a link to the direct HaTPC Shockwave file on the Neopets website, but it is in another thread on TDN. HaTPC did display properly with that link, but I didn't try to post my score. I know Shockwave still gets updates, but sometimes with updates, code is removed or changed, and if the game isn't updated accordingly, it can cause problems. Again, that is just my opinion. I will look for the link to the direct game on Neopets and post.

EDIT: Here is the link. It is on Neopets.com: http://swf.neopets.com/games/g349_v9_99392.dcr I found this link on a different website and the "poster" had all kinds of things to try. Good luck! If you can send/submit your scores, please post and let us know. Thank you.

EDIT EDIT: And, oh, I haven't found a fix. It would be nice if Neopets could either update it to Flash or HTML5. If you do a search for HaTPC or Shockwave on TDN, you will find a few more threads concerning HaTPC and Shockwave.

Thanks for the tip about the direct link. Unfortunately it didn't let me post my score. I sent it after I got around 150k but the screen went white. *sigh* Now I have to start over and hope for the best with the black screen. Darn. I really wish they'd update it, too. Thanks again!

Same thing happens with Internet Explorer, as you get with Opera. HaTPC uses Adobe Shockwave. My best guess is Shockwave has had so many updates since HaTPC came out, that the game does not display properly or play properly. Gourmet Club Bowls and Attack of the Slogs also use Shockwave and I can't get them to play properly either. I have been able to get attack of the Slorgs to play, with Internet Explorer 11, but I have to add "neopets.com" to "Compatibility View Settings". However, sometimes Attack of the Slorgs "freezes" and I have to reload and start over. I did "Google" and find a link to the direct HaTPC Shockwave file on the Neopets website, but it is in another thread on TDN. HaTPC did display properly with that link, but I didn't try to post my score. I know Shockwave still gets updates, but sometimes with updates, code is removed or changed, and if the game isn't updated accordingly, it can cause problems. Again, that is just my opinion. I will look for the link to the direct game on Neopets and post.

EDIT: Here is the link. It is on Neopets.com: http://swf.neopets.com/games/g349_v9_99392.dcr I found this link on a different website and the "poster" had all kinds of things to try. Good luck! If you can send/submit your scores, please post and let us know. Thank you.

EDIT EDIT: And, oh, I haven't found a fix. It would be nice if Neopets could either update it to Flash or HTML5. If you do a search for HaTPC or Shockwave on TDN, you will find a few more threads concerning HaTPC and Shockwave.

Thanks for the tip about the direct link. Unfortunately it didn't let me post my score. I sent it after I got around 150k but the screen went white. *sigh* Now I have to start over and hope for the best with the black screen. Darn. I really wish they'd update it, too. Thanks again!

I don't know if this will help, as I do not use Chrome, but it may work to "allow" Chrome to recognize Shockwave is installed. If it does work, it may only work until September, when Chrome stops all support for NPAPI plug-ins. So, it may be worth a try if you are trying to get the HaTPC avatar. In Chrome, in the address bar copy or type this, without the quotes, "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi". You may then see the "puzzle piece in place of the plug-in and a "Blocked plug-in" page action icon in the Omnibox", to which you can select "Always allow plug-ins on (insert website here)". It may allow HaTPC to work as before and you may have to reload the game several times before it displays properly. More info about the NPAPI and Chrome support can be found here: https://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation?pli=1. Again, if you try it and it works, please let us know. If it does, I may download/install Chrome, just so I can get the HaTPC avatar. I don't have it and it actually looks nice.

Well, that made it load in Chrome, finally, but I still have the black box on the left side of the screen. Maybe that's a Shockwave coding issue or something. I'm not really sure. But it did work for the most part, so I'm going to just try and play with the box and hope for the best.

I don't know if this will help, as I do not use Chrome, but it may work to "allow" Chrome to recognize Shockwave is installed. If it does work, it may only work until September, when Chrome stops all support for NPAPI plug-ins. So, it may be worth a try if you are trying to get the HaTPC avatar. In Chrome, in the address bar copy or type this, without the quotes, "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi". You may then see the "puzzle piece in place of the plug-in and a "Blocked plug-in" page action icon in the Omnibox", to which you can select "Always allow plug-ins on (insert website here)". It may allow HaTPC to work as before and you may have to reload the game several times before it displays properly. More info about the NPAPI and Chrome support can be found here: https://www.chromium.org/developers/npapi-deprecation?pli=1. Again, if you try it and it works, please let us know. If it does, I may download/install Chrome, just so I can get the HaTPC avatar. I don't have it and it actually looks nice.

I sent in a ticket once already and they said it was low priority. So I sent another ticket in again last night asking them to please look into fixing it so people can at least try for the avatar or a trophy. I suppose I could mention it on their FB page if nothing happens with the ticket I sent in again.

Edit: This was the response to the first ticket I sent in:

We have read your ticket and have categorized it internally based on the specific issue that you reported. This means that we can always find your ticket (or others with the same issue) if we have more information to share. You don't need to submit a new ticket for this same issue. We can even reopen tickets that have been closed if we need to get a hold of you :)

Since your ticket has been all handy-dandy categorized we are able to distribute and prioritize the issue you have reported. Unfortunately we will not be able to give you an exact date of when this problem may be fixed (since any time frame is subject to change) but we are aware of it and appreciate your report!

Issues that impact the whole site will be fixed for everyone at the same time so you don't need to worry about being left out :)

Unfortunately if you lost Neopoints or Neopoint items as a result of this issue it is unlikely that we will be able to replace them :(

Have you tried sending a ticket to Neopets or asking on their FB page? Maybe they aren't aware of the issue or something. Or have a solution.