Adult Colouring Books

Rune Valentine

I do love coloring, but I find adult coloring books to be a bit too complex for me. I get really impatient with all the tiny bits to color in. I prefer "kid" coloring books with geometric patterns that are a bit bigger, I find it more relaxing. If I had a printer, I'd probably still be coloring pictures of Ilusien and Jhudora, to be honest XD

Coloring is one of my favorite hobbies. Adult coloring books are nice but require a lot of effort and skill. I like mandalas and coloring books with cats, cupcakes and other cute things.

Does anyone like to use any particular brands of coloring utensils? I use Sakura Gelly Roll pens, Crayola twist crayons, Hello Kitty crayons and these colored pencils my mom gave me me. 

My sister gave me a couple of adult colouring books for Christmas the year before last. I've not done any colouring in them, and after reading through this thread I took a look at them again and I realised WHY.

It's all patterns, not pictures.

What's all that about then? So are the majority of adult colouring books like this? From what you guys are saying it seems like they are. I want to colour in things, cohesive scenes, not pages that look like ornate wallpaper samples.

Just flicking through them now was almost more than I could handle because the big busy patterns are way more than my broken brain's processing speeds can deal with, immediate overload for me. ._.

To me, a proper adult colouring book would have grown up versions of the simplified pictures we grew up going outside the lines of, lol.

You know I bet there's some app out there, or some function on programs like Photoshop etc. that can convert an image to line art, that you could then print off and colour...now that is the kind of thing that I'd want to take my pencils to!

I really wish that I could enjoy them but I find most of the designs too complicated and have no idea where to start... I prefer to stick with children's coloring books as they're easier to use. x3

I actually now have two adult coloring books. One is Narnia and it's complex! I recently just got the Harry Potter Magical Artifacts coloring book and it looks like a good one to start with. Now I just need to stalk up on pencil crayons and markers.

I want a Studio Ghibli colouring book :heart:

No idea if they exist, but they totally should!

*searches Google* Oh my...

y49sS2t.jpg

Now THAT'S the kind of thing I'm talking about! http://breadedcat.com/totoro-coloring-pages/

18 hours ago, jellysundae said:

It's all patterns, not pictures.

do u mean like thisA1L18UIo9SL.jpg ?? this is torture ... but the internet calls it "stress relief" .. i dont know how or why

ARRGGHHH!

*scrolls down to save brain*

lol, YES @Angeló, that's exactly what I was talking about >_<

It's like 70s wallpaper, urgh, I never did like paisley xD

Now stop trying to kill me? :heart:

On 2017-6-14 at 5:08 AM, jellysundae said:

y49sS2t.jpg

Now THAT'S the kind of thing I'm talking about! http://breadedcat.com/totoro-coloring-pages/

Yes I second this! I'd be okay with coloring something along this line ^^

On 2017-06-14 at 3:08 AM, jellysundae said:

y49sS2t.jpg

That's kind of what my Harry Potter Book is like. It will be way easier then the Narnia one. I think the Harry Potter one is actually for Young Adults who are in Junior High since I did get it from the school Scholastic Book orders.

I think I need to properly looking online for a book of things that I WANT to colour, and add it to my wishlist - it's my birthday next month. :ph34r: My Mum's been poking me to update it!

• 3 years later...

I have both adult and children's coloring books. My most recent favorite acquisitions are an adult Day of the Dead coloring book and a children's Mandalorian coloring book.  I use crayons, coloring pencils and Sharpie markers.  I'm trying to learn how to shade/highlight properly.  There are a lot of fun Youtube tutorials that help a lot. 

• 4 months later...