Ghoul Catchers needs a front facing camera, WHAT?!?!

mtsparky

Jealous of users reporting 50k a day playing this game I tried to download Ghoul Catchers. "This app is incompatible with this iPhone...requires a front facing camera." I have an ancient iPhone by today's tech standards.The only reason I can think of requiring a front facing camera is surveillance. I find that very disturbing, and haven't heard anyone on the boards/news mention that before.

What do you know? What do you think about your app requiring a camera facing you? I think its ghastly!

I had the same problem with installing Plants vs Zombies 2 on my mom's old iPad. The game doesn't actually require you to turn on your front facing camera, though. I'm not exactly sure why it asks for it. It may be because you are using an old device or the game isn't compatible with your device (which is really annoying since I've been wanting to play this myself).

I have Ghoul Catchers and had no idea this was a requirement. This is really concerning since your camera can be turned on without your knowledge by an outside party... I hardly ever play because the game is all glitchy and slow moving, but still!

I had the same problem with installing Plants vs Zombies 2 on my mom's old iPad. The game doesn't actually require you to turn on your front facing camera, though. I'm not exactly sure why it asks for it. It may be because you are using an old device or the game isn't compatible with your device (which is really annoying since I've been wanting to play this myself).

Only familiar with the Xbox version, but plants vs zombies you join teams and have audio and video capability so maybe thats why. When trying to update or download apps I get messages that my phone is incompatible often. This is my first camera reasoned error.

CPsSmDU.png

The Android version doesn't state permissions to the device's camera are required. Strange that the iOS one would. The only reason I could think is if it links in with Facebook or Game Center or another app that would require access to the camera. I undertand LillytheGrundo's comment, but any app that requires access to the camera has that capability. Either you understand what the permissions are for, or do not install the app. Instagram, without access to your camera, wouldn't be much of an app. However, a questionable looking "make your friends believe you can unlock your phone with facial recognition" app, that may use your camera to "scan" your face and appear to "unlock" your phone, I wouldn't install or trust. If a major app company was found using people's cameras to record information, I'm sure there would be legal reprocussions, or nobody would be using the app. Anyhow, the iOS version requires iOS 7 and above. Unfortunately, it looks like your iPhone isn't incompatible with the app.

I know a couple of people above me already said this but there shouldn't be any need to worry, it just wants to know you physically have the right device.

It's essentially the app store going 'oh you want to download this, well the only iPhones that can run it are new enough to have a front facing camera, so let's check if you have one-nope, sorry your phone's not got the right hardware to run this app :(' I've gotten 'this app requires a camera/gyroscope/whatever' message a few times trying to download anything on my ancient iPhone.