Musical_Shoyru

I'm curious who all has seen this movie and who likes it? I myself cannot seem to decide. I feel like the music part of it was awesome, but is it just me or did it seem like there was just so much morally wrong with it and it was just weird? That's what I'm leaning toward right so far.

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this because it's not a debate, it's just talking about a movie :)

I absolutely love Into the Woods, it's one of my favorite musicals. I really like the movie version! They leave a lot of stuff out from the original stage production which always disappoints me but overall I think it was a good adaptation and I love the cast.

You're totally right that there is so much morally gray stuff in there. That's definitely one of the major themes of the show... it deals a lot with internal compasses, morality, whether doing something bad for the greater good is justified, who you can trust in life, etc etc. But that's one of the things I love about it. It takes all these fairy tales and puts them in a context where there is no such thing as pure good and evil or right and wrong and the characters have to make a lot of tough choices. And I think that's awesome. Plus it's funny and the songs are all super great. :)

Funny enough, I just watched this with my mom, two aunts and cousins. I really enjoy it, particularly because a lot of the fairy tale parts are the Grimm brothers version, which I love so much more than the Disney version, even with the extra....grimmness (pardon the pun). I really would love to see the play version. My mom, on the other hand, was entirely confused by it and was not really a fan.

I liked the music A LOT, but I didn't like all the death and it really didn't feel like there was a happy ending at all. Granted, life is not made up of happy endings, I believe that things ALWAYS get better. Even when it doesn't seem like it. It almost felt like there was no hope toward the end.

I do have to say, I loved what the baker did at the end for everyone. That was entirely sweet!

I really want to watch the movie because I really adore the musical. o: About the morals in the movie, I think it's definitely one of the major themes of the story, like Marenkae mentioned. In fairy tales, it's usually pretty clear who is the "bad guy" and who is the "good guy." The characterisation in Into the Woods definitely brings a level of complexity that I really enjoyed.

Also: the songs. So catchy! :D

I really love it, but I do have to disagree with you on one point, I do think the movie (I've never seen the musical itself, we don't have it here in Hollland) ends with hope. These people, who have lost the people they loved the most, in the most horrible ways, have a chance at a new beginning. The baker has a son, and is learning to care for it, Cinderella can finally have a chance at a normal-ish life, where she's neither a slave nor a princess, and Red and Jack have lost their family, but found a new one, made up out of people who will care for them. I think this isn't a happy ending, but that's okay. It's an ending that shows the'll be alright, and for a movie that started incredibly cute and ended on a rather dark note, I think that it's a perfect ending.

I love the movie/musical!! You know these fairy tales are all very dark in their original context. The musical brings these aspects to light and sort of humanizes them in an adult way that Disney cartoons could not. At the same time it's witty and has great music.

I loved that they relied a little more on the original stories. It was especially hilarious listening to the offended parents in the theatre gasp "That seems excessively violent!" about things that have been the story for hundreds of years until Disney prettied it up. As far as the morality of it, the only thing that irked me was killing off the adulterous wife, which is an old, misogynistic, overused trope that did not need revived. But I mostly forgive it since it attacked so many other things head on.

The main idea of the musical is to show what happens after the "happily ever after". It's to show that no character is perfect and usually a lot of stuff goes wrong.

I personally love it, and the stage play is even more "morally wrong" than the recent film, but it's great. It's full of so many life lessons.

I think it dragged on a little too long, personally. I loved the originality of it, and definitely enjoyed performances from the cast. But it's definitely not for children :P Parents should really have realized that after seeing the dark posters and trailers!

I loved that they relied a little more on the original stories. It was especially hilarious listening to the offended parents in the theatre gasp "That seems excessively violent!" about things that have been the story for hundreds of years until Disney prettied it up. As far as the morality of it, the only thing that irked me was killing off the adulterous wife, which is an old, misogynistic, overused trope that did not need revived. But I mostly forgive it since it attacked so many other things head on.

Yes, I really loved that as well, that they used the original stories from the Grimm brothers, and not the Disney versions. Like the fact that baby Rapunzel is traded for vegetables from the witch's garden (originally rampions, which in German are called Rapunzel-Glockenblume, hence the name Rapunzel), and the cutting of the toes and heels of the stepsisters, and stuff like that. Even though it's crude and definetly not acceptable these days, it's the way these stories were written, and yet so little people know this.

I think it dragged on a little too long, personally. I loved the originality of it, and definitely enjoyed performances from the cast. But it's definitely not for children :P Parents should really have realized that after seeing the dark posters and trailers!

Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you thought it dragged on a little too long?