Help me understand

mtsparky

Today a player not known to me took a risk and helped me get the Adam avatar, for only a fraction of the normal collateral. Yesterday, the owner of a Tonu accepted my challenge. During the FQ Event many spent hours aiding others. These are examples of neopians who have have given beneficial assistance when they did not need to. One returned a freely offered gift stating that tipping is against the rules. Just to clarity, he had never asked for it nor had I offered one as incentive. But after the trade, I felt like gifting. Similarly when I've helped on the quest boards, a few of the questers gifted me items or purchased items specifically from my store though i never asked, solicited or even suggested by having a public wishlist. How does that put anyone's accounts at risk? And why would these exampled above be freezable offenses? If they are?

YES I agree and understand why: Asking outright, taking donations or hinting to make PROFIT from lends is not/should not permitted.

These are the rules-- that i could find-- governing this. Did I miss some?

Collateral is fine, as long as all items are returned to their respective owners afterward and nothing is left as a "tip." Just to be clear, running off with an item you borrowed, whether you gave the lender collateral or not, is NEVER allowed. It's scamming, even if you justify it in your head because you gave them collateral. http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=356

However creatively, politely, or subtly you ask or "hint" for tips for lending things, you're still breaking T&C for requesting a type of payment for lending something. http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=294

About pet transfers: No. It's only against the rules if you ask for or offer compensation, such as a "tip." (And trying to skirt the rule by saying things like "tips appreciated" or "you can donate to my lab fund but you don't have to" will not work.) You can send Neopets back and forth to each other all you want, but it is at your own risk. http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=236

If that is an offense I find it a crazy one! When I get helped by someone, if I can, I like to return a favor. I see that as "Do onto others as you want to have done onto you" rather than breaking a rule! I really hope it's not an offense and that you don't get in trouble. I believe you were just trying to be nice!

When TNT looks at the activity of an account, they don't see a "felt like gifting" footnote - they see someone who borrowed an item and then, directly after returning the item, sent an additional one to the lender. Maybe it was an unsolicited thanks, but they have no way to differentiate that from a lender who's subtly vying for tips. A lend is intended to be a 1:1 deal, no strings attached. If a lender does accept a gift/tip after a lend, it is freezable since it's more likely that they're taking advantage of a lendee than that someone just "felt like gifting."

These gifts you're talking about actually are tipping, though. You listed a bunch of nice things people had done as reasons for gifting them; you wouldn't be sending them an item if they hadn't done something nice, would you? Gifting is completely random. These, even if it's not your intention, are gifts happening after someone does something nice. So, it's a tip.

Rather than an actual item or neopoints, I personally just appreciate someone saying thank you :)

Thank you Ali Cat for you concise explanation of TNT's binary perspective. You are right, code cant show "felt like gifting" and I'd hate to get a lender in trouble.

I found this which adds more to not asking for donations/asking outright:

Collateral is just fine as long as it's all returned in the end. Basically offering collateral for an item is better than buying it for some if they 1.) Only need the item temporarily for an avatar or something; 2.) The items are considered 'hard to sell' and it would be difficult to find a buyer; or 3.) There are no current sellers of the wanted item. There are other reasons, sure, but those are the ones that come to mind first. Just remember that tips are not allowed in the lending process. Making a profit off lending is a big no-no. http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=366

I still feel if its not asked for nor expected; as it is my choice, then what ELSE is the gift function for!?!?! This is an online platform. How else would you "meet" neofriends? The few neofriends I have i met through trades or the quest board. Anyhoo, no gifting lenders. I get it.