JumpStart Comments On Staff Removal

hrtbrk

Late last week, several beloved members of The Neopets Team received unexpected layoffs. The CEO of JumpStart has released an official statement regarding this move and the future of Neopets.

To our Neopets Members and Community:

Unfortunately, a recent restructuring of our resources means a number of respected employees working on Neopets are no longer with the company. JumpStart appreciates each and every one of our employees, and it was a sad day to have to say goodbye to our friends. While it’s disheartening to see team members leaving the company, we are incredibly thankful for everything they have done to create Neopets.com and the passionate community that surrounds the site.

Moving forward, we want to make it absolutely and unequivocally clear that we are committed to Neopets! Neopets is NOT CLOSING in any way. To the contrary, we plan to produce new content, update the site, and dedicate valuable resources towards improving site functionality, including lag and site stability. In fact, the recent launch of Neopets Ghoul Catchers on the iTunes and Facebook platforms confirms our dedication to launching new and exciting content for existing and new Neopets users.

As we move forward and establish new goals for Neopets, we want the community to know that we are fully committed to the success of Neopets. We will work to support, improve and expand Neopets with our best resources and most creative minds. We thank you for your unwavering support of Neopets and we believe you will be as excited about the future as we are.

We wish all of the amazing former Neopets team members the very best life has to offer and we are grateful for their time at Jumpstart.

- David Lord, CEO of JumpStart

While I believe the truth is that they aren't killing Neopets, I also have a hard time believing they're devoted to making the site run better. But then, I'm not sure how many people were webmasters and programmers that got the boot.

We shall see.

I'm glad they made this statement, hopefully people will calm down now. I mean, I was nervous too, but people were really losing it on the neoboards.

I just hope they really are dedicating themselves to fixing the current issues and that it won't take too long.

I am still not sure how to feel about all this....I am little afraid they won't fix anything or change everything and it will no longer be the Neopets we once loved.
Oh well, only time will tell. I will try to stay optimistic and see what happens.

One would think this would be when they need all their staff members the most, so why fire them? I don't understand why the layoffs happened at all. Does anyone know how many staff members were let go?

According to a tweet from Snarkie, it mostly consists of the content/design team (hence why no news). It's rumored that a few monitors also got laid off as well.

Nothing is really confirmed 100% but it explains why there's been no news published on the 6th and no new content moving forward (even though it's only been one day so far) AND why the boards have been a hot mess.

Snarkies tweet if you wish to see: https://twitter.com/snarkie/status/574003463534723073

I'm a little worried to be honest. Jumpstart is knowns for their learning games. I am just worried that Neopets might get changed into a website that is COMPLETELY orientated for childhood learning while the fans are left in the dark.

Which is what I fear.

There already learning resources on Neopets. Like 20% random marrow taxes from King Skarrl, how to price items in an open market, how miniature golf is very difficult when you are playing to get the best score and not for fun, how to look after dependant creatures (looking after real animals is more difficult, however you know to feed them, bathe them, play with them and make sure they are looked after when they're sick), the stock market, economy and potential crashes due to too much supply and no demand, and other valuable lessons that I can't think of.

I'm glad a statement's been made, but it's a statement intended to quell fears and will have been worded with the sole intent of putting as much of a positive spin on things as possible, of course. So for me what it actually says I'll take with a pinch of salt. I'm just glad the lay-offs have been acknowledged.

I wonder which is closer to being accurate. Them saying "several" employees got laid off, implying that it really wasn't many, and what Jellyneo reported of "most" of TNT going... That's some spin, right there! Though JN will have focussed solely on TNT, where as JS will have looked on their employees as a whole, so most of TNT probably could be described with a much smaller term when they're considered as just part of a larger workforce.

Eh, not a verry good release. They said that they let people go, but not why. What's going on to have you make that decision? Why haven't you said anything on the site?

A number can bet a lot, or a little. It's just different ways of saying it.

I wonder which is closer to being accurate. Them saying "several" employees got laid off, implying that it really wasn't many, and what Jellyneo reported of "most" of TNT going... That's some spin, right there! Though JN will have focussed solely on TNT, where as JS will have looked on their employees as a whole, so most of TNT probably could be described with a much smaller term when they're considered as just part of a larger workforce.

But the press release didn't say "several"; it said "a number" (which is just about the vaguest term they could use, but to me indicates a substantial portion).

I don't know. Neopets has grown bloated and stale over the years, hardly keeping up with the times. While they do have strong loyalty, they've had difficulties attracting new users for years now. And TNT's efforts at innovation have fallen short, despite things like Petpet Park, Key Quest, and Habitarium. I think they've been afraid to cut anything because everything has its fans (I've actually been relieved that DD, the Neopies, etc. were cut, at least temporarily). I think a shake-up was necessary for the continued success of Neopets, because fresh eyes can help. I just hope that they kept enough (and the right members) of old TNT to keep Neopets as "Neopets" even as it's brought into the 2010's. And I really hope that they gave generous severance packages and plenty of notice. I appreciate what TNT has brought us, and I wish all the members, past and future, success. I hope they find somewhere new to use their talents and creativity, somewhere they can really take flight without the constraints of a 15-year-old site.

And I hope Neopets goes somewhere exciting and creative, and soon. I don't know what it should look like, but I know that I, for one, am ready for some substantial changes (and not just because of the lag... I have been demotivated and just playing more out of habit than anything else, since TFR, with very brief resurgences of interest for things like BD beta, Obelisk War, and my personal discovery of Food Club. TFR was 5 years ago; that's a long time to be waiting for something "better").

That being said, my confidence is not very high given the sustained brokenness of the site, which only seems to grow worse as more things are taken down or stop being supported/updated. I'll believe they're dedicated to Neopets as it is (and not some amalgamation of apps/platform games that use the characters/world) when they show that they are.

I agree with some of the earlier comments. I'm relieved that Jumpstart actually made a statement and showed they're paying attention...but they're still trying to spin it the best way they can, and I'm cautiously optimistic at best. I'm worried about Neopets - I think the comment above me is right, something needs to change. I don't want to see Neopets just stagnating.

This is a time of wait and see. While change is the only constant in the universe, slow change is lasting change and not all change is for the better. I want to see new and exciting content but I don't want the site to turn into something so different that I no longer want to be here. Games like Key quest has appeal to those of us who don't play the flash games as much because you just don't have the time to perfect it enough to get a trophy or even make the maximum np. It allowed for greater interaction on the site as well between players other than offsite fan sites and the neoboards. The chat feature needed help frankly and once glitches were resolved, Key quest was a keeper IMO. Some site events guarantee that people come back year after year such as Advent Calendar or Altador Cup.

I think part of Neopets' problem in the past has been marketing and advertising and a certain level of iniquity directed to international players. I first discovered the site in 1999 through a banner ad. These days, ad blockers block banner and side ads. Even I block the ads on the site because they take up valuable page space and slow down page loading plus can be vulnerabilities that leave you open to malware attacks. Neopets and their owners needed to find other ways to advertise and market the brand beyond internet ads. Zazzle, occasional team ups with McDonald's and others just isn't enough. If you didn't know what Neopets was in the first place, you wouldn't have been interested in Zazzle merchandise or even the toy in the McDonald's kids meal. Those approaches were basically preaching to the choir. Hopefully Jumpstart understands how to market and advertise an online game site like this if their aim is to increase membership and revenue from it. They also need to understand the membership on the site... a lot of players have grown up so this site has many adult players and so there's a lot of brand loyalty. That's something they need to consider when they are making changes. You want to attract new players; what demographic are you going to target? Do you want to build on your brand loyalty; lots of considerations and planning for the way forward. They also need to prioritize the basics such as a site that works with minimal glitches and interruptions. You want a smoothly running, efficient network where your're maintaining and expanding as needed and not fighting fires every five minutes. I hope all goes well and we end up with a Neopets we all can continue to love, play on and enjoy.

Scary. I think that many people work there because they love the site. To be fired must be heart broken for some.

PS Are there people from the original team (10 more more years ago) still here?

There might be one or two, and that's a stretch. But not having the original members doesn't mean a lot. My parent's company recently celebrated its 20th anniversary, and besides themselves, there are only 2 people who have been there since the beginning.

But the press release didn't say "several"; it said "a number" (which is just about the vaguest term they could use, but to me indicates a substantial portion).

I don't know. Neopets has grown bloated and stale over the years, hardly keeping up with the times. While they do have strong loyalty, they've had difficulties attracting new users for years now. And TNT's efforts at innovation have fallen short, despite things like Petpet Park, Key Quest, and Habitarium. I think they've been afraid to cut anything because everything has its fans (I've actually been relieved that DD, the Neopies, etc. were cut, at least temporarily). I think a shake-up was necessary for the continued success of Neopets, because fresh eyes can help. I just hope that they kept enough (and the right members) of old TNT to keep Neopets as "Neopets" even as it's brought into the 2010's. And I really hope that they gave generous severance packages and plenty of notice. I appreciate what TNT has brought us, and I wish all the members, past and future, success. I hope they find somewhere new to use their talents and creativity, somewhere they can really take flight without the constraints of a 15-year-old site.

And I hope Neopets goes somewhere exciting and creative, and soon. I don't know what it should look like, but I know that I, for one, am ready for some substantial changes (and not just because of the lag... I have been demotivated and just playing more out of habit than anything else, since TFR, with very brief resurgences of interest for things like BD beta, Obelisk War, and my personal discovery of Food Club. TFR was 5 years ago; that's a long time to be waiting for something "better").

That being said, my confidence is not very high given the sustained brokenness of the site, which only seems to grow worse as more things are taken down or stop being supported/updated. I'll believe they're dedicated to Neopets as it is (and not some amalgamation of apps/platform games that use the characters/world) when they show that they are.

You're right, Neopets has not kept up with the ages. While other sites have charged on ahead, Neo lags behind. We know what happens to stores like this, they go out of business.

It's important to have fresh perspective, new eyes new sight and what not. Hopefully those new eyes will open soon.

This is a time of wait and see. While change is the only constant in the universe, slow change is lasting change and not all change is for the better. I want to see new and exciting content but I don't want the site to turn into something so different that I no longer want to be here. Games like Key quest has appeal to those of us who don't play the flash games as much because you just don't have the time to perfect it enough to get a trophy or even make the maximum np. It allowed for greater interaction on the site as well between players other than offsite fan sites and the neoboards. The chat feature needed help frankly and once glitches were resolved, Key quest was a keeper IMO. Some site events guarantee that people come back year after year such as Advent Calendar or Altador Cup.

I think part of Neopets' problem in the past has been marketing and advertising and a certain level of iniquity directed to international players. I first discovered the site in 1999 through a banner ad. These days, ad blockers block banner and side ads. Even I block the ads on the site because they take up valuable page space and slow down page loading plus can be vulnerabilities that leave you open to malware attacks. Neopets and their owners needed to find other ways to advertise and market the brand beyond internet ads. Zazzle, occasional team ups with McDonald's and others just isn't enough. If you didn't know what Neopets was in the first place, you wouldn't have been interested in Zazzle merchandise or even the toy in the McDonald's kids meal. Those approaches were basically preaching to the choir. Hopefully Jumpstart understands how to market and advertise an online game site like this if their aim is to increase membership and revenue from it. They also need to understand the membership on the site... a lot of players have grown up so this site has many adult players and so there's a lot of brand loyalty. That's something they need to consider when they are making changes. You want to attract new players; what demographic are you going to target? Do you want to build on your brand loyalty; lots of considerations and planning for the way forward. They also need to prioritize the basics such as a site that works with minimal glitches and interruptions. You want a smoothly running, efficient network where your're maintaining and expanding as needed and not fighting fires every five minutes. I hope all goes well and we end up with a Neopets we all can continue to love, play on and enjoy.

Advertising does need a boost. I remember seeing commercials and the products everywhere! And they brought people in! Right now they're relying solely pin word of mouth and current members to keep the site afloat. That's not always going to work. I know that they need partners to help them with the stuff, but are they even trying to get the partners? I immagine it would be easy for JS to find a partner.

Edit: this is on the official TNT message board, If anyone was wondering.

While I'm very sorry to see any original team members go, I am looking forward to site updates and/or changes. Which makes me wonder just a little bit if the lay-offs are more a result of creative differences. The dedicated tnt staff members honored the site traditions that kept long-time players coming back. But as a result, a lot of aspects of neopets has become outdated. This has been fine with long-standing members because, let's be honest, there's some things that we just didn't want to see tampered with.... but for new members, what must they be thinking when the site has to compete with the online gaming communities?

I may want to see some new content and changes, but I don't want it to become unrecognizable either. The only thing I can compare it to at this early stage is JumpStart's other online gaming site How to Train Your Dragon. Is that the direction neopets is headed? It may be free to play, but it contains a lot of premium content that requires real life money. A lot of companies go that direction to make a site profitable. Also, that site suffers lag issues, fixing things that aren't broken, and not adding new free content.

I'm glad neopets is staying around, but I look at it's future with hope.... and trepidation. Crossing my fingers, people.... crossing my fingers.

Ghoul Catchers is them proactively moving forward, and advertising Neo though, right? I haven't looked into it myself, but this is a game anyone on Facebook can play, and that could draw anyone interested into Neo, yeah?

Neopets has been here for a while now, and we should expect changes now and then. I am excited for new changes and updates, but at the same time, there are things that just have to stay the same... I dunno, let's hope for a good future for Neo!

"Unfortunately, a recent restructuring of our resources"

This sounds pretty obvious even for me that I'm a foreigner lol

They are still reducing costs because the site does not bring them profits anymore, so they aren't going to invest more money in it, logical isn't? I don't see any hope in getting it better.