Kougra Customs Support Group

pulpfreeoj

I like Kougras. Way back in the day, a blue Kougra was my very first neopet, and I've always had a Kougra. I would probably even go so far as to say they're my favorite pet.

However, since customization has been introduced I've noticed a problem. Kougras seem to be very difficult to customize. Between being quadrupedal (not that I mind this so much but people seem to prefer customizing bipedal pets), a slightly lower amount of good species-specific clothes to wear compared to some popular species, and a certain lack of colors that harmonize with wearable items, the Kougra faces some difficulty if you're not willing to shell out money for NC.

My own Rainbow_Dipped has been wearing her current custom (or slight variations thereof) for years because I can never seem to be satisfied with any custom I can come up with. Don't get me wrong- I like the custom, but it seems a bit too seasonal to wear all year 'round. The Kougra has a certain wealth of outdoors/woods-y style clothes, but I have two pets with similar themes already and would prefer something different. I have considered changing her paint job but I struggle with finding something I really like.

Anyone have advice about customizing Kougras, at all? I'm at the end of my wits here. Also feel free to share your own favorite Kougra customs, even if they're NC or what have you, and ask your own questions about customizing Kougras; all Kougras and Kougra lovers welcome.

My first neopet was a Kougra but I got him before customizing was a thing and he somehow got converted although I wasn't active. I understand your struggle, though--I hardly ever seen good (or any!) Kougra customizations. Have you experimented with DTI?

I know it's pretty basic but I love my Kougra customization at the moment (I'm thinking of adding the gothic wig):

preview.png

Kougras have only a couple of outfits but I think they're very nice (both for males and females)... I'll try to come with other customizations later...

Here's one (it's 'woody' but...):

preview.png

I have three Kougras on various accounts. While they aren't the easiest pet to customize, I've started playing to their respective colors. For example, Acinaciform is A Chocolate Kougra. I tend to use light or bright colors on her. She's really fun to work with for candy-related holidays. On a side account is GillianKana. She's a Christmas Kougra, so I use darker colors on her.

@chelperk: Thanks for commiserating.

Have you experimented with DTI?

Oh yes, it feels like endlessly. I love the site, it's a very useful tool for customs. I try a lot of things out but I think maybe I'm just a bit too picky sometimes.

@acquarella: I love your Kougra's custom, it's sort of like a classier take on the "emo" or maybe "goth" theme! Very cute, I do admit I have been eyeing the evening Kougra set. The other custom you came up with is also very adorable. I do like how Kougras are very easy to tie into an island theme, being perhaps the quintessential Mystery Island Neopet.

@WhiteWolf: You have some nice ideas! I've been considering perhaps doing a monochrome Noir sort of theme for Rainbow but it's sort of ruined by those cute cream-ish eyes, ears and bellies Kougras tend to have, unless I changed her color to something like silver or skunk...

What are your favorite sort of themes to do with Kougras? Any sort of Island theme tends to work very easily as I said above, or anything like a hunter or warrior-because of the imagery we associate with tigers, perhaps? They have some nice clothes and colors for that- the pirate Kougra looks dashing with that scar, and the Bold, Adventurer, Warrior Princess, and Winter Ranger clothing sets all suggest a sort of rough-and-tumble character.