Later this month my school (college) is having a career fair. Usually at these things unless you are a graduating senior the companies there don't pay you much attention as I learned at the last one I went to last spring. But alas, my time has come and I am due to graduate in May (YAY!). Anywho I was wondering if all of you awesome people here have any advice or tips they would like to share regarding talking to the recruiters, interview tips, and fashion. The dress code for the event says business professional but have yall had more success one way or another like skirt vs pants or full suit set vs individual pieces if that makes sense?

Sorry I'm kind of rambling but this has sort of psyched me out especially because as of right now I have no job lined up and I had to leave my previous job due to....irreconcilable differences with my boss earlier this year and have had trouble finding a new one. >.<"

Anywho Thank you all in advance for even taking the time to read this and for any help/tips/advice you may have to offer

<3

Here are a few suggestions on how to make yourself stand out (in a good way) at the job fair:

1. Look the part. Go with a full suit (I personally prefer a pantsuit so you don't have to worry about skirt length). If you're going into a conservative industry, go for a more traditional look: traditionally cut blouse of a more traditional color, sensible (polished) shoes, minimal accessories, professional hair, more buttons closed, neutral makeup, well-trimmed/manicured nails. If you're going into a more creative industry, you can get away with a more fashionably cut suit (just nothing skin tight and no cleavage), or a brighter color (maybe even a patterned) shirt, maybe 1-2 bold accessories to make a statement -- but remember less is more, and you should only do 1-2 of these things, max. It's better to err on the side of caution for your clothing choices; they'll remember you for your personality, but they often only remember the clothing if it sends the wrong message.
  2. Research the companies in advance. Instead of talking to every single company, pick the few that you really want to meet. See what openings/programs they have. Where do you think you'd fit? Why do you want to work there? How can you help them? What do you want to know about them? Find the easy answers for yourself, and hopefully your research will lead you to the "hard" questions that will show you really understand the challenges the company faces. This is what can really make you stand out.
  3. Get your resumé ready. If you're looking at several different types of jobs, try to tailor a resumé for each one. Focus on results, not just your duties. For example, maybe while working in a restaurant's kitchen, you developed a way of tracking the ingredients that resulted in 20% less waste of expired ingredients. Use percentages or straight $ amounts, whichever sounds more impressive. If you're not sure, make your best estimate -- but don't overstate anything, in case they contact your old employer and verify. Look for transferable skills. Waitressing requires you to work well with others, handle multiple tasks at the same time, and have great customer interaction skills.
  4. Line up a reference from your old job. (I presume your old boss may not be the best, but is there someone else on his/her level that you're 99.99% sure would give you a good recommendation? Or at least a coworker?) And do you have any other prior bosses to use as a reference?
  5. Prepare your elevator speech, along with answers to the most likely questions. Your elevator speech is your brief (20-30 second) self-introduction to the recruiter. It should make them think "Aha, this person sounds like a good match for position X," and then they'll ask you some questions, hopefully. There are lots of practice questions (you can find lists easily), but some really common ones are: describe a strength, describe a weakness (you want to describe something you honestly struggle with, but also how you cope with it and have worked to improve it -- e.g., I realized I wasn't very good about recognizing when I need assistance, but I've learned to set a reasonable time limit to try it on my own, and then ask for help if I've made no progress), describe a difficulty you've had with a coworker and how you overcame it (be very careful with this one... never speak negatively of an old job experience; always try to put a positive spin on it).
  6. What to bring: a padfolio containing paper, 10-20 copies of your resumé (be stingy with these; you don't want to run out, so only give them to companies you're genuinely interested in), business cards (for the companies not worth a resumé), 2-3 pens (make sure they work and don't smudge). Do not bring a bookbag. Keep your phone off and away.
  7. Before going, print out the map of the fair (if available). Circle the locations of your target companies, and plan the order of your visit. I recommend warming up on 2-3 other companies first (ones you might be interested in, but aren't at the top of your list). Then go to your targets. After you've talked to all your targets, then you can wander and see what else is available, but you want to make sure you hit your targets while you're fresh.
  8. Ask for business cards of everyone you talk to and want to follow up with (definitely everyone you give a resumé to!). As soon as you've stepped away from their booth (and I mean far enough away they can't see you), write on the back of the card a few facts you remember about them. Include personal as well as professional facts (dog - Millie - chews shoes). When you get home, start writing thank-you cards (or e-mails, if you don't have a street address), being as personal as you can (that's where those notes come in -- e.g., "I just saw that they have product X that is supposed to keep dogs from chewing shoes. I hope you're able to get Millie to leave your shoes alone!"). (Okay, the dog-chewing thing is a horrible example, actually, but you get the general idea...) Thank them for taking the time to talk with you, ask any follow up questions you've come up with, let them know you're applying for a position they mentioned, etc.
  9. A little known recruiting fact: timing is everything. If possible, get there when the fair first opens (but don't bug anyone who's still setting things up; come back later). If it's an all-day fair, avoid going right before lunch, or too close to the end of the day (when they just want to get home).
  10. Most importantly, relax and try to just be yourself. Let your personality shine through. People want to hire people they think they'd get along with, so the more relaxed, confident, and nice you are, the more they'll want to hire you.

Good luck at the career fair!

When I interview I always wear a superior quality skirt suit, black or dark blue, with a jewel tone shirt under it. Skirt should end within 2 inches above the knee and must fit well. You will make a poor impression if the suit is cheap, too big, or even worse too tight. If you borrow a suit watch out for out dated styles. If given a suit think about spending a few dollars to have alterations done if you have time. The same advice goes for consignment or thrift store suits.

How much to invest in the suit is up to you. Even if a suit will never be worn at the job it makes a good impression and shows that you know how to dress up in the business world. Sadly some job seekers think dressing up means wearing club clothes. On a somber note a dark suit is always a good fall back for attending a funeral. Black funeral dress doesn't mean your sexy little black dress.

I know that panty hose are not popular with many young women today. I hate them myself. Remember you are trying to impress older adults so sheer black hose and 2" pumps are a safe bet. Good quality, polished, traditional style, black or navy blue pumps with a matched purse. Quality shoes and the purse are a good investment as they stay in style and you won't grow out of them quickly. I take my genuine leather shoes to the cobbler for repairs and resoling at $5 a pair. Having heel and toe guards applied by a cobbler to new shoes will help extend their life.

Shoes are often overlooked when planning an outfit. People that make judgements based on appearance (ie. human resources) know to look at shoes. I don't agree with the practice, but many people do it either consciously or unconsciously. Get past the gatekeepers first then focus on impressing your actual boss with your talent.

Color will make you stand out from the crowd and can carry a message. Stay away from pastels or reds. Pastels send a wimpy image and red can be seen as confrontational. The shirts I use are magenta, deep jewel blue, or peacock blue. I use the magenta for progressive companies and the blues for the more conservative companies. I use a dramatic lapel broach to add a memorable touch for the conservative outfit, but keep the accessories simple with the magenta shirt. I have been told to stay away from pearl strands because they are too common.

You want to avoid the black suit, white shirt, pearl strand necklace clone look.

Good Luck,

Laura

For me, knowledge helps keep me from being nervous. I do tons and tons of research on the internet, or I will go into a store (if working in retail) or the establishment itself as kind of a test run. I'll see how things work, who comes up and says hi, the type of service given, ect. If you know what companies are going to be there do some research. Find their website, read their about page, their mission statement, find out who the CEO and top executives are and when you talk to the recruiter put some of that information in. They should be impressed that you took the time to find out about them and still decided to give them some of your time.

Do you have a hard time talking to people you don't know? Or are you an introvert of any sort? Even though it says business professional if you have some kind of wacky jewelry like a hot pink elephant necklace and that's "your thing" and you have a hard time striking up a conversation it's cool to wear something like that because that becomes an excellent ice breaker for someone else to approach you! The recruiter can go "Wow, that is a crazy necklace. Do you like elephants? Well, we don't have any pink elephants at Job & Job Associates but we do have an excellent blah blah blah." But keep it simple. Don't wear your "I brake for squirrels" t-shirt under your blazer. That's not appropriate. Maybe a neat handbag you have that goes well with your outfit. A charm bracelet? Something small, that you could keep hidden if you need to but would allow both male and female recruiters to use as an ice breaker. The same goes for them; if you see something they are wearing (maybe the woman has her hair done nicely, you could joke about how you could never curl your hair or something) like a logo on the shirt, ask about it. Tell them you couldn't find why they picked that logo specifically on their website and see if they know the answer.

I used to have a hard time talking to people I didn't know; hard time starting conversations. Every single friend I made in high school came up to me and started conversations. I was new in school my junior year and for an entire month I sat by myself until someone else came over and asked if they could sit with me. My best friend initially came up to me because I had my lip pierced and she handed me a safety pin and an earring and wanted me to pierce her lip. She approached me with a whole entourage of people so I was completely on the spot. I did it and she introduced herself and all her friends. (FYI; DON'T do that. It got infected & her mom was furious with me for a long time haha). That's how I made friends in high school - when it came to getting hired for my first job it was because another friend worked there. Eventually I got a job at a clothing store, where we had to greet people and go up and talk to them about sales. I had to fake being out going. I still do fake being out going all the time. I'm a hair dresser so we have to be bubbly, talkative and look the part. I talk a lot but only when provoked haha but I have a hard time going out and shaking someone's hand and offering my business card to them. If they comment on my hair (which is an unnatural color for the most part) or my tattoo's I hand them my card and tell them to stop by some time when they want to take the plunge and add some pink or purple or teal or whatever color my hair is in their's. Usually then they'll say they can't do anything that crazy and I reply with "hair chalk" and wink. If they aren't into it they will laugh and that will be the end but every now and then they will ask me about it; get super curious. Ice breakers man, work EVERY time. If it's awkward don't force it, move along but if it sticks, it's a good way for an introvert to look like an extrovert. Before the fair, try it out on campus. Go sit in a busy area and people watch, look for someone coming by to have something you can start up a conversation with. "I love that bag, where did you get it?" Then talk about your favorite handbag and then let them move along. Do it until it feels comfortable and natural.

Have plenty of resume's ready and be comfortable talking about your experiences; even if they are minimal. Talk up any awards or ackolades you may have received while working. I have an e-mail from a corperate executive that was commending me on customer service because someone called in and talked about their pleasant experience with me. I also got a mystery shop 100% so I keep both of those from a now defunct company in my portfolio so future employers know I'm not just writing "excellent customer service skills" on my resume but that I actually do have excellent customer service skills.

If you've never had a job before then you'll have to draw from personal experiences but don't count those out either! Were you in Girl Scouts as a kid? You could talk about how many boxes you sold, the skills you built while working with them, teamwork, ect. You can talk about problem solving skills you developed while working with a class mate on a group project when one of your team mates didn't pull their weight or whatever the experience may be.

Also bring pen and a notepad. Sure you can bust out your phone but sometimes that's seen as unprofessional. Taking notes, taking down someone's information in case they run out of cards or pamphlet's will show them you are prepared for anything and could be what makes you stand out from others.

That's all I think that I could add to everyone else's excellent advice. It's almost straight from a how-to-interview book haha!