DeviantArt is it really worth it?

Naamah D.

I recently started posting my series to my DeviantArt account. Honestly, I don't think that it was worth it. I only have one watcher and I feel like my series is bland, boring and poorly written. Maybe I'm just being critical of myself.

You are all amazing people, TDNF :)

LOL After 9 and a half years, I have 11 watchers, and most of those are inactive. :P Text pieces are fine, I've never submitted one before, but if you go to the DA Forums, which I haven't been to in ages, you could probably drum up some watchers, It might help if you give yourself a user icon. 50x50 pixels is the dimensions, I forget the filesize limit. Also, requesting critiques, might get you some traffic too. You've only been there for about 5 months it looks like. It can take awhile to get established there. But yeah, most of the stuff I'ms suggesting is stuff I haven't done. Probably why I have so few watchers. LOL But I don't mind, I've seen people who get a Daily Deviation for one of their pieces, and then they are FLOODED with people and comments. I think finding a balance is good. There are also groups you can search through and join. http://groups.deviantart.com/You will probably find some text/story groups you can apply to join and contribute to. :)

Good luck!

Why not post it on Wattpad too.

A lot of people don't even know DA has a writing section. Most just go their for artwork.

Wattpad is all about writing.

I think your series could potentially get a lot more views posting it on Wattpad. There's also an option to tag your series, and you or others can share your story via various social media, so reads grow quickly. Also a rating system. The more votes you have, the higher up you're series will be on a list, when people search a certain tag word.

Example: currently I'm writing my own fanfiction of a Youtuber I enjoy (DON'T JUDGE ME) and I seem to be getting realatively decent attention?

I started writing my story, 26 days ago-- and already have over 1,700 reads.

Just a suggestion. :)

Another site you might consider, would be https://www.fictionpress.com/It's for original literary works.

I haven't posted anything there in ages. Mostly because I wanted to keep more of the chapters under-wraps. ;) That, and I haven't written anything for that story in an age or three. It's no wonder I forgot to mention it!

Good luck Naamah!

DeviantArt can be a hard sell for literature.

First off, I recommend naming every one of your stories, so that they are searchable. You're already tagging, but add as many as you humanly can to pop up that search possibility.

And as Brit said previously, make sure that you make an account on WattPad. In fact, make accounts on any site you can find that you can post writing on. Collectively you'll get more exposure and possibly more shares, etc.

Honestly, dA focuses more on the visual side; there is a fairly good demand for writing, but usually, the writing that gets popular is based on social justice issues such as sexism of either gender. I tried my hand at doing webcomics once, but it's extremely difficult, and it takes a lot of time. Persevere, get exposure through multiple mediums/sites, and keep learning from your writing, and you're sure to do well.

Best, best luck. d(^~^)b I'll send this to my friends and watch. c:

• 1 month later...

Don't forget, it's also very helpful to join groups related to what you're writing about. And try to make the title catchy to get peoples attention.

When people browse a gallery and see "chapter 1" they won't feel all tat intruiged. But if they see "The funniest day ever" they might just feel curious enough to click it open and read :)

THen it's just a matter of requesting comments in the description "please let me know what you think" or something. ;P

DA is a difficult place to get noticed, it's true.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that your stories are all violent/18+, so people who have the filter on, don't see it, unless they say "let me see it" or whatever, and users without an account also can't read your stories. I guess that's also playing a part!

I see that your stories are all violent/18+, so people who have the filter on, don't see it, unless they say "let me see it" or whatever, and users without an account also can't read your stories. I guess that's also playing a part!

The only reason it's 18+ is for language and the "violent" parts are actually a character getting bullied.

Did you even read it?

Hey Naamah, I think it's a good thing that your stories are rated for their dialog content. A lot of people don't bother even if they drop some f-bombs or something of the like.

I agree that because they are rated Mature, it MAY mean less people look at them, whether because they aren't old enough or aren't members as was already stated. But, you could post snippets of text that don't contain the type of strong language that you list as mature. That way, people could read some of your uploads and maybe they'd sign up so they could read more or something?

I also noticed you haven't joined any groups yet. I'm not sure what's on DA for writing groups. But if you can find one that has some recent activity, I'd say request to join. That too can help you get more notice. And forum posting on the DA forums. You could even put a link to a piece of your writing in your signature. Then anytime, anywhere you post, people could see you're a writer and might check out the link in your sig.

Just a couple of other suggestions. ;)

Best of luck!

Hey Naamah, I think it's a good thing that your stories are rated for their dialog content. A lot of people don't bother even if they drop some f-bombs or something of the like.

I agree that because they are rated Mature, it MAY mean less people look at them, whether because they aren't old enough or aren't members as was already stated. But, you could post snippets of text that don't contain the type of strong language that you list as mature. That way, people could read some of your uploads and maybe they'd sign up so they could read more or something?

I also noticed you haven't joined any groups yet. I'm not sure what's on DA for writing groups. But if you can find one that has some recent activity, I'd say request to join. That too can help you get more notice. And forum posting on the DA forums. You could even put a link to a piece of your writing in your signature. Then anytime, anywhere you post, people could see you're a writer and might check out the link in your sig.

Just a couple of other suggestions. ;)

Best of luck!

I posted on a forum and people weren't very nice. I was told that nobody is interested in my writing. I talk to my mom about it, but she won't read it.

Seriously?! I'm sorry you got trolled on the forums. Some people can be well, jerks. It's seriously been YEARS since I last posted on the forums there. lol I laugh because I'm not really into forums, the irony of course is that I'm on TDN forum almost daily.

As far as Deviantart goes. You could do like some, and just keep posting and hope that people will stumble onto your works. Maybe get creative with the tags when you submit something. Like descriptive and maybe even some figurative ideas for tags?

Since these are your own original writings and not fanfiction. I'd also like to re-recommend http://www.fictionpress.com. I haven't used it in AGES, but I did check to see if it was still up and running, and it is. When you submit a chapter, you select it's genre and classifications, etc. And then upload. And other users can comment and review the uploads. You can do that too of course, with stories you read that others have uploaded. If you write fanfiction, then Fictionpress' sister site, http://www.fanfiction.net , is the place to go. Fanfiction was actually first I think, and this was the case the last time I looked, but Fanfiction and Fictionpress accounts can be linked so one login for both sites.

I hope this helps. If anything, it'll give you another place/outlet to post your writings.