Is This Cheating or Am I Just Crazy?

missjustina

Hi, I apologize if this is in the wrong place I'm not really sure where to put it.

This is not about Neopets. I play a MMO game with a lot of friends. A lot of people I know like to play the other persons character to get ahead of the game for them when they're busy and can't play. I think this this could be cheating- yes you're not using a program but someone else is playing for you and doing all the work for you. My friends all disagree with me and say its not and that they're just helping each other out.

I would just like some opinions from people who don't play the game and hopefully I can be enlightened and understand how this isn't cheating. I think I'm probably biased because on Neopets it would be completely ridiculous to have someone go on your account and play the game for you and against the rules also. Maybe this is why I don't understand.

Thank you for your opinions I appreciate it!

It would fall under Account Sharing which could warrant a suspension/banning of your account if they notice there are multiple IP's logging in frequently to the same account. Most online games nowadays have this rule, so I honestly wouldn't recommend it if you (or your friends) would like to keep their account.

It would fall under Account Sharing which could warrant a suspension/banning of your account if they notice there are multiple IP's logging in frequently to the same account. Most online games nowadays have this rule, so I honestly wouldn't recommend it if you (or your friends) would like to keep their account.

I'm not really sure the game I play cares about it, even though they say account sharing is against the rules. A lot of people that play the game play characters for each other frequently. I asked them why sites have rules against account sharing and they said its so hackers can't get into your account.

Yeah more or less it's so they can't be held responsible if someone (like a friend) one day decided to steal all your stuff, but it also gives you an unfair advantage. You said so yourself it's listed as a rule, so if you insist on doing it don't be surprised if you get caught.

Stebenjos covered it. It may not feel like "cheating" and perhaps thats not the right word, but theres so much other drama that comes with account sharing that its really not worth it. There is a reason why they have those rules in place, just remember that.

I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating. Is it cheating if you get stuck in a video game and ask a friend to take over? Depending on your definition it could be. I don't view it as cheating myself but a lot of online games (neopets included) do not allow account sharing. For your own safety. Because if a friend isn't using YOUR computer at YOUR house, the game company would have no idea of knowing if your account has been compromised. It's much easier to have a blanket ban on the practice than to go case-by-case.

Thank you guys for your opinion. Also for clarification- I'm not the one account sharing I have never done it before.

I got into a debate with a friend today about how I think its wrong and wanted to see what people who don't play the game think, as it's a pretty common thing that people who play the game do.

At least I don't feel totally crazy now haha

World of Warcraft has cracked down on Account Sharing somewhat. I know that a couple of weeks or so ago, in-game trade chat was talking about someone getting a 3 day ban for it, but they were basically announcing (in a stream) that his girlfriend plays for him because he hates leveling.

I personally don't view that as cheating. I see cheating as you doing something that would give you an unfair advantage. Playing the game for a friend, If all you're doing is the same thing your friend would have done anyway, you're not giving your friend(s) or their account(s) an unfair advantage.

However as stated, don't be shocked if you get caught, It seems a lot of MMO's are cracking down on account sharing more and more everyday.

To answer your question, no I don't see that as cheating; but it's just as risky.

My friend was doing this for people on World of Warcraft for awhile, the only difference being that they would pay him. (I don't know if it was IRL or in-game, though)

Eventually, Blizzard caught on and banned his IP or froze his account or something, mainly because they saw a lot of different accounts going through one IP address.

And when I say a lot, I mean like, he made a business out of it.