New Charity Corner Is Here!

hrtbrk

i really hope the avatar isn't exclusive to the Adopt A Neopian thing ..

i can't remember exactly but i think they gave the coincidence avatar to everyone who completed at least one part ... so i hope the toy drive counts ...

and i have NP but i wont shell out 150k just for a stupid pencilcase that was going for 300NP 12 hrs ago

I can't shake this niggling suspicion that even if I complete today's tag I will be shut out by some instantly unbuyable item in the next few days.

Urgh....

And if this is to stop people loading the servers with hoarded junk items.. well they are going to have to do this kind of clean out a LOT more regularly because I can't sell/discard any of my junk in the foreseeable future with this sort of madness going on. Well, unless they have been artificially inflated, of course, in which case - sell sell sell :mellow:

Charity my asparagus!

Hmmm..

Tis the season to be cynical - fa la la la hoard the junk.

GOLDEN post! :rock:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please have at least seven words in your post. Quotes do not count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I'm seeing the Pencil Case for over 500k now... I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I missed the first day and I really want the avatar. This is madness.

I didn't have one in my sdb, so I tried scratching my remaining Premium Scratchcard. The first square I uncovered was of the SFPC, but none of the others were. :(

what TNT should have done is made all of these items needed for the charity corner, available from random events on the site.

at least a few months before the event, and those who keep them are rewarded for hoarding :P and those who sell then well meh lol

I'm seeing the Pencil Case for over 500k now... I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I missed the first day and I really want the avatar. This is madness.

I didn't have one in my sdb, so I tried scratching my remaining Premium Scratchcard. The first square I uncovered was of the SFPC, but none of the others were. :(

You have given Space Faerie Pencil Case to User 'dragonsfriend1021'. Click the button below to continue.

There you go Lamppost ;)

Edit: and now I see that I have a backlog of 46 cards to scratch... hum.

You have given Space Faerie Pencil Case to User 'dragonsfriend1021'. Click the button below to continue.

There you go Lamppost ;)

Edit: and now I see that I have a backlog of 46 cards to scratch... hum.

OMG V, you totally just made my day. I was getting ready for work so angry at TNT and now I am so relieved. Thank you very much!

I hope you get a few more pencil cases from those scratchcards!

It was so hard to fall back asleep last night. I'm still so angry. Premium perks were not supposed to give people a competitive advantage on the site. I mean sure, there are slight advantages like SSW, free items, etc. -- but turning one of those premium-only free items into a potentially (multi)millionaire-maker in a single day? This event is just... a total game-changer. It's like TNT wants people to get fed up and leave. Maybe that will help the server issues. I suspect either someone on TNT is on the way out and decided to troll all of us before they left, or someone new on TNT has no idea about how the Neopian economy works.

Oh, wait. TNT is losing premium members left and right because of the lag, and this is their message to them: "Don't cancel; we'll give you millions of NP and an unfair advantage if you stay!"

(I realize that many premium members got rid of their pencil cases or didn't receive very many in their time on premium, but the fact remains that those who do have a hoard of these items are almost 100% exclusively premium members. I'm not blaming the premium members for gouging the rest of us; they're just following the basic principles of supply and demand. The fault 100% falls on TNT for not respecting those principles and their own principle of not biasing the game in favor of paying members.)

The irony is that I know several premium members who happen to not have any pencil cases, and this is just the icing on the cake for them to quit their subscription, since they're already fed up paying for a virtually unusable service.

P.S. I'm willing to pay up to 100k for a pencil case. If someone's willing to sell it for that, PM me here (I probably won't be able to check until after work, around 4pm NST).

Yup.... done with this event. Just selling the items that I have that drastically inflated and being done with it. Don't like this event at all. It's just making everyone's blood pressure go through the roof. lol

I've already made a ton of NP selling the stuff I already have, due to this inflation. I'd rather that, anyways. :tired:

Anyone know how long this madness is going to last?

From the FAQs:

How long will Charity Corner be available?

The Charity Corner will open with the day’s New Features update on December 15th and will stay open until 11:59:59 PM on December 31st.

Way to go TNT! Instead of making us relax during the holidays, you're stressing us out big time! :weird:

Ugh... I was hoping it'd just be done by Christmas. Well that stinks.

I guess I'll just focus my attention on Food Club until this is over, and can buy my stuff back at hopefully a reasonable price. Like the 1NP everything once was. :rolleyes_anim:

I read somewhere they do this events to get rid of junk that stays in SDB and also in th database causing server lag. Well, I don't see how this helps when from now on I'm not discarding any single thing, ever. In case something else of this sort happens again...

Also, they ban words from the neoboards in order to protect the kids but I really doubt this kind of inflation, greediness, unfairness and frustration is a good example for any kid out there :(

I am disappointed I missed the first day because I was sick. I wasn't even having fun at all, ugh!

Bye-Bye to another avie that I never got a chance to get.

I'll just sell the stuff in my shop to make NP's...I can't do anything else

:sad02:

It is horrible to sell thing right now for a TON of NP? I feel kind of bad...but not that bad, since I missed the first day.

Just used 28 scratchcards.. have 2 extra pencil cases, as well as 6 amber swords. If you need either one (or both, since the other 3 items are still cheap) please pm me here on the forums or on Neopets (acritochromacy), let me know which you need and I will give to you for free :)

Edit: Pencil cases have been given away, donated the swords.

I am disappointed I missed the first day because I was sick. I wasn't even having fun at all, ugh!

Bye-Bye to another avie that I never got a chance to get.

I'll just sell the stuff in my shop to make NP's...I can't do anything else

:sad02:

It is horrible to sell thing right now for a TON of NP? I feel kind of bad...but not that bad, since I missed the first day.

Hey, it's not problem that you missed the first day!!! I did too! Both the first and the second. BUT in all probability, those who complete 15 out of 17 requests (aka starting today) will be awarded with an avatar. At least that's what I suspect based on what I read in the FAQ about the Charity Corner.

So don't be disappointed just yet!!! You still have time to decide what you wanna do!

In theory it's a great way to clear the servers of items people are hoarding. And at first that's exactly what it will do. Even with the inflation plenty of people are going to buy the items and turn them over for the event, which will get the items off the servers. But once the event is over the servers will start getting even more clogged than before, because suddenly people who have never hoarded anything before (like me) will suddenly be keeping every single junk prize they get from everything in preparation for the next time TNT does this.

Especially since this is the 2nd time TNT has done this. Hello new fellow hoarders, let's see how much junk we can accumulate before the next event. Because just like before Coincidence, I cleared out my SDB and discarded a bunch of items. Because that's what I usually do every few weeks. Not anymore I guess, since junk events are apparently going to be a thing.

I do not get it.

I checked to see what items I needed for the Landlubber, to get the Soggy Boots, and the items are not listed on the drop down menu. Am I doing something wrong? :sad01_anim: :sad02:

Well for one thing Soggy Boots is the name of the guy asking you to get the items.

And I'm not going to do the adopt a neopian anymore. Not after what TNT has pulled. I'll donate the rest of the toys in my sdb then I'm done. lol

Paired with the existing lag this.... was probably not the best idea. However, it IS going to help the economy in the end.

Toys are items that literally never leave the site. Well, they can be discarded, but most people don't discard toys, they donate or try to sell or just jam them in their SDB and forget about them. So most toys are very, very cheap. This event is an item sink, yes, getting rid of the item type people are least likely to discard (gifts are frequently discarded as they have no outright use) and that doesn't have a function that removes them naturally (such as food, which vanishes when it's eaten).

The prize pool is well designed- I've done more than 100 trades (slowly. over many hours.) and have not gotten a single duplicate and I've heard of other items I haven't gotten yet. The prizes are a mix of decent food items and items that people generally want- stamps, books, and wearables. The end result of this prize pool is wide-spread but ultimately gradual deflation of those sought-after items (even if people get what they want that's still one less demand for it), and a HUGE removal of toys from the site. Those that remain are worth more- meaning they're less likely to sit on the server gathering dust.

I highly doubt they'll do another item sink event in the near future. And when they do, it's certainly not going to be toys- it'll be grooming items or gifts.

The "quest" letters are.... unfortunate, overall. But I am noting that instead of all of the items becoming vastly inflated (as with the Coincidence) it tends to be just one item from the set. The Toffees (which, as a food, are least likely to stagnate and thus has less available to start with) and the Pencil Case (which was a bad choice overall as a Premium item, even if there were a ton out there). It still speaks volumes that the books (books!) from today's list are still less than 100 each, however.

Overall, when you remove the lag from the equation, this is really a brilliantly designed event. It just has some.... poor choices when it comes to the things everyone will need, and some poor timing with the lag the way it is.

The pencil case is crazy. I am lucky to have the one toffee for second day, eventhough I seriously thought about just selling it and forget the event. But this... I wonder if I should drop the third day and hope for luckier items for the rest to get avie.

Probably not, since I already miss the first day (which is a pity since I have loads of all those items). I am surprise, though, that TNT didn't let us do the first day for two days which is what they have been doing lately and I joyfully approve. It's back to the first day missing events again, I guess. *sigh*

I agree with Anime. Even though the timing might not be perfect (bad lag) and some items might be poorly chosen (that Pencil Case fiasco will stay in Neopian History, what were they thinking?!), this event is not as bad as the Coincidence and will certainly eventually help the economy. I'm not entirely convinced that item sink events are here to stay or that they'll be frequent from now on and I certainly hope this won't be the case.

But we gotta admit, this was a pretty bold move. I'm still torn between the pros and cons...

Hey, it's not problem that you missed the first day!!! I did too! Both the first and the second. BUT in all probability, those who complete 15 out of 17 requests (aka starting today) will be awarded with an avatar. At least that's what I suspect based on what I read in the FAQ about the Charity Corner.

So don't be disappointed just yet!!! You still have time to decide what you wanna do!

I decided to try it today and it worked! I hope I did not miss out on getting the avie. It was just crazy that the one morning/day I'm not on Neopets...that's the day they start something. It always seems to work that way! :rolleyes_anim:

Well for one thing Soggy Boots is the name of the guy asking you to get the items.

And I'm not going to do the adopt a neopian anymore. Not after what TNT has pulled. I'll donate the rest of the toys in my sdb then I'm done. lol

LOL, I guess I was reading too quickly. I'm always doing that. :sick02:

Thanks for your help, everyone!! :santa:

I want to thank the kind person who sent me a Space Faerie Pencil Case from the holiday wish list. As tempting as it was to sell, sell, sell... that would have made me feel wretched! Therefore, I completed today's wish list tag. I missed yesterday (those darned toffees!), but maybe I can still earn the avatar!