Neopocalypse Avatar Re-Released?

fullonparanoid

I'm seeing commentary (here, Facebook, Twitter) about the Neopocalypse avatar having been re-released.

I thought it was a joke at first...but it seems it actually has been?

I honestly don't mind that folks who were not able to acquire it when the ACTUAL Neopocalypse happened are now able to obtain it...HOWEVER...

I am kinda perturbed that a new avatar was not created/awarded. Now it feels like those of us who already had the Neopocalypse avatar got nothing for the wait of the past 3 days...while those who, for whatever reason, were not around for the REAL Neopocalypse have been rewarded.

Pretty lame, TNT.

If you are going to dole out rewards for having "survived" the 3 day transition you ought have come up with something to give to EVERYONE who "survived" it.

/shakes head

Opinions?

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).
This topic was posted in the wrong area.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from 'Neopets General Chat' to 'Neopets Debate'.

I got the avvie from the previous Neo meltdown, but it doesn't bother me that others can now get it. Yes, yes, the events were different - but the effects are, essentially, the same - we can't go on Neopets... We had to survive longer than 24 hours without it... fend for ourselves in the 'real world'... I don't really see a difference, other than we were warned this time so we could prepare; but honestly, who can truly prepare for horrors such as this?!

I look at really old, retired avatars - some that I had on old, long lost accounts - and long to be able to use them - so giving others the chance to get that makes me happy, not miffed. It's not like we can sell avatars, they're just nice to collect and reminisce with.

I can understand why it feels a bit annoying though. I mean, I would have loved any new avatar (please let there be a habi one!) but I don't think it's unfair. :)

I can see where you're coming from. Both had similar features.

With the same time, they weren't the same.

With the NA (I keep spelling that word wrong, so I'm just not going to spell it) we had no clue it was going to happen and everything just sort of slowly shut down. Everything was just BAM gone with the server change. The first was actually the NA, this was a server change. I wish they could have made a new avatar for it. I wouldn't mind waiting for it to come out.

(I would also like a habi avatar! It would bump me up to my desired number!!)

It seems a shame that there isnt an avatar that says I survived Twice!

I didnt get the avie last time for some reason even though I was around, but I got it this time .. still think those who were around for both deserve to have something to say so, would just be a nice thing to do I think, it certainly isnt an easy time is it lol

I can't wait to get into the site and claim my new avatar! :rolleyes_anim:

Agreed. I wonder how long they'll let us get the avatar though :/ they should keep it on until everyone can log into neo

Miranda - I did the exact same thing, so don't feel bad!

Ref the re-release of the old avi - While I'm happy to have a new avi, I would agree that there should have been an avi that ALL who "survived" could have gotten, since those who did get it last time, don't have anything new for this transition.

I'm happy about it, even though I already had the avatar. There was another post about re-releasing retired avatars and the popular opinion seemed to be NO.

I like it. Nobody comes on neopets and stays for years so that they can play Kass Basher over and over again. The fun stuff are the collections, whatever it is - battledome stuff, stamps, avatars, whatever. That's why people come back and play and enjoy the site. There's already a massive list of impossible avatars, retired items that cost millions and millions, etc. I think the loyalty perks are honestly, a bit excessive. I certainly wouldn't want to be a new player on the site now.

The avatar was handed out for basically the same reason, so they used the same avatar. It was available for a day, and now, 2 years later, will be available for another 2 days or so. 3-4 days of having the option to get it, out of almost 15 years of the site, that's not a huge window. I think making things achievable makes the site more fun.

A new avatar would have just been another couple days of getting it and then *poof* gone forever. Personally, I think the list of barely achievable, or downright impossible stuff on the site is long enough, but clearly I'm in the minority on that one.

Besides - we got our beloved site back!! YES!!

Agreed. I wonder how long they'll let us get the avatar though :/ they should keep it on until everyone can log into neo

I believe they said Sunday

Agreed with OP.

It's annoying. The avatar originally released to "commemorate" a [hopeful] one time 'event' which WAS majorly apocalyptic at the time. Everyone lost their minds!

This is something totally different.

It's a huge bummer for me that there's no more exclusivity when it comes to this avatar now.

Enjoy your 2 year old avatar over something that didn't have to do with this, I guess lol

Yeah. I'm always happy to check off another avatar, but the Neopocalypse was something different than this. As I stated before, this was planned - the Neopocalypse wasn't.

I almost feel guilty for having the avatar - should have been to the original event to deserve the avatar. :/

I feel like a lot of people get hung up on whether people "deserve" an avatar or not.

Even when the Coincidence was awarding people with retired avatars, many were irritated.

Why should what other people have concern you if it doesn't actually harm your account?
The only thing that should matter is whether you had the same newly created chance they did to get whatever it is.

If you got it before, even if it was obtained by different or even harsher means, then cool. Now you both have it; that's it.

A lot of the avatars I had trouble getting long ago are considerably easier to get now. I don't care, as long as I still have the avatars.

I know what I went through to get the avatars, and that's all that matters.

How and when people obtained what they have doesn't matter to me.

As for a new reward for everyone? Yeah, that would have made sense.

Remember we don't own avatars - whether you have it, or a newbie has it, doesn't really affect the exclusivity of it really. That newbie won't be a newbie forever - one day, they could very well be admirable veterans themselves, and the newbies then won't have that avatar, so its not like it's being handed out to everyone forever. Plus, as fun as a new avatar is, if there is a Habitarium one for example, the last thing the TNT team want to make is another one for something like a transitional move. It's probably not that exciting at the office. Ha ha

But oh my goodness, I am so excited to find out what becomes of all our hard work on Habi. A trophy, an avatar, a site theme, an exclusive item or wearable, I want it all! No, no, I'm not greedy ... I WANT IT ALL. Ha ha :)

A couple people have said that it doesn't affect one person if another has the avatar, but that's not entirely true. Rare avatars are special because not a lot of people have them. They're not special if anyone can get them, that's why no one really care about clickables. As an avatar collector, I want avatars that are special and show my dedication to the site; a good way to judge that is if they are rare are not. Retired are the best kind of rare because you can't get much more special than unobtainable. Does that make me selfish? Maybe. Is that what collecting avatars is about? Yes, having a better collection than the next person, just like any other game.

I got the avvie from the previous Neo meltdown, but it doesn't bother me that others can now get it. Yes, yes, the events were different - but the effects are, essentially, the same - we can't go on Neopets... We had to survive longer than 24 hours without it... fend for ourselves in the 'real world'... I don't really see a difference, other than we were warned this time so we could prepare; but honestly, who can truly prepare for horrors such as this?!

I look at really old, retired avatars - some that I had on old, long lost accounts - and long to be able to use them - so giving others the chance to get that makes me happy, not miffed. It's not like we can sell avatars, they're just nice to collect and reminisce with.

I can understand why it feels a bit annoying though. I mean, I would have loved any new avatar (please let there be a habi one!) but I don't think it's unfair. :)

I pretty much agree with this statement. It's actually nice they re-released the Neopocalypse avatar for those who were unable to get it the first time it was around. For Habi, we can hope we get an avatar for participating.

Nobody comes on neopets and stays for years so that they can play Kass Basher over and over again.

~

:laughingsmiley: That's how I started out, playing the same game for hours.

There's already a massive list of impossible avatars, retired items that cost millions and millions, etc. I think the loyalty perks are honestly, a bit excessive. I certainly wouldn't want to be a new player on the site now.

~

Part of the fun of the expensive avatars is earning them and then being able to show them off! What about the loyalty perks do you think are too much?

I'm on the edge about the last part. It might seem daunting, but you don't want to give out retired avatars just because someone is new! New players can still earn a lot of avatars if they work hard. I only have 6 retired avatars (counting LC). Take those away and I have 293 which is still a lot.

Pascalla - I think it's a little annoying because they weren't there for when it happened. The NA avatar came out when a specific event happened. The severs moving was not that event, and it's silly to give out the avatar for different situations.

I know that people say that, that you shouldn't worry about how other people got theirs. But we're human. If we spent a lot of time working for something and we put a lot of effort into it, and then see that someone else got it for free, it's going to be upsetting. You did all this work, and they didn't. Why did I have to do all the work for it, when they got it for free? It might make it seem like the work you did was pointless.

I can understand that it would be annoying to the people who were awarded it when it was first released--you earned it then, and those of us who weren't around for it didn't...

However, I think it's a fairly legitimate way to bring back a retired avatar for those who missed out the first time. If the Coincidence started giving out avatars again, that wouldn't be legitimate or very fair.

I'm personally glad I was able to get an avatar that I barely missed when I came back to the site.

I already had the avatar, but I think it was nice of TNT to re-release it for those who missed it last time. If it was a retired avatar that you had to do something other than stumble on New Features within a certain time frame to get, then I might feel differently, but this avatar has never felt like a big deal or accomplishment for me (although I do like the graphics). I'm proud of my game avatars, plot avatars and even my random avatars because they require effort and patience, but the Neopocalypse is basically a clickable avatar that happens to have an expiration date.

As people said before, it's more of a 'You had to be there' type of thing. And also, they're handing it out for a situation that the avatar wasn't really made for.

There was a lot of stuff that went on, and it really was like a little apocalypse and we survived it.

I'm proud that I managed to survive it.

The only difference is that this was planned for, which for me isn't really a big enough change to warrant a new avatar. And I believe there were some people who missed it last time simply because they didn't think to look at New Features when they were able to log back in. I just don't think it's a big deal that those people and others got another chance to obtain the avatar, but I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree on this point :laughingsmiley: