So, You Now Control Neopets...What Three Things Will You Change?

fullonparanoid

Hey gang!

Hypothetically speaking...you have somehow gained full control of Neopets.

What are the first three things you will change (add, remove, or alter)??

Here are my first changes as Neopia's new ruler:

1. Main accounts and Side accounts are registered and joined. Once registered and joined, all Closets and SDBs can be accessed by each registered account. Also, registered Mains/Sides will have unlimited transfers of NC items (no boxes required) and Pets (that do not count against monthly pet transfers).

2. SDB's will be able to be sorted by custom, user created, folders. Myself, I would have Keep, Sell, Trade, Gift, Gallery, Advent Calendar, and Dailies as a few of my custom SDB folders.

3. I would prevent all items that are part of a Daily prize pool from re-stocking in Neopian Shops (for example, the Sand Bottles doled out by Tombola would no longer stock at the Tiki Tack). This would eliminate A LOT of the Shop clutter and would allow for more frequent restocks.

There are certainly other things I would do in quick order...but, for now, those are the first three things that come to mind. :D

What three things would YOU do first?

:P

I personally would do number 2 on your list. Being able to create custom folders to organize our SDB would be amazing. Better organization of our closet and Neohome shed would be great as well.

2. I would put pin security on everything! This would include our neodecks, our food club winnings, and anything whatsoever that could be stolen. That being said, I would also add a computer challenger to KQ (I really wish they'd do away with it in the first place) so that you don't have to play against others unless you want to. At least with the computer, if your computer craps out or something happens, you don't have to worry about being harassed by NM or reported by report happy jerks before even trying to understand the story. I've had NF lose their long time accounts over something happening in KQ, and that truly irks me that somebody can lose years and years of hard work over something as stupid and trivial as KQ.

3. I would put a ticker on books. This ticker would highlight (either green or red) which book your active pet has read. Green if no, red if yes. Sandrea has read near 1,000 books and it's hard to remember which ones she has read, and which ones she hasn't read. Now, I have to take a chance, especially with more expensive books when I buy them to hope Sandrea hasn't read them yet. It's annoying. This feature would help a lot, especially for the readers in Neopia.

1) It's probably really impractical, but multiple live staff available near 24/7 to easier resolve reports, harassment, TICKETS, etc. to help facilitate better interactions with staff. I feel that would ease a lot of fears and tensions help by many Neopians.

2) DEFINITELY nightfall8705's idea for a book ticker!! This would be awesome.

3) Some sort of regular event to bring the prices of certain items back down to a reasonable level. I wouldn't want anyone to LOSE money that they put in rare/ETS items, but some sort of inflation control would be really great. However, I also feel that this defeats the purpose of Neopets' (almost) entirely citizen-controlled economy. So I'll go with this

-- OR --

Some sort of cool, throwback events open only to certain years - for example, 12 year old accounts get a special plot that pulls an element from the site 12 years ago, or accounts ages 7-15 have some sort of cool event/plot/prize available. It'd really just be a fun way to bring back some old elements of the site that some of the more experienced players miss.

(number three is a bit blah, but I honestly had some trouble thinking of something really good)

3. I would put a ticker on books. This ticker would highlight (either green or red) which book your active pet has read. Green if yes, red if no. Sandrea has read near 1,000 books and it's hard to remember which ones she has read, and which ones she hasn't read. Now, I have to take a chance, especially with more expensive books when I buy them to hope Sandrea hasn't read them yet. It's annoying. This feature would help a lot, especially for the readers in Neopia.

Just so you know, JellyNeo has a nice feature that shows you all the books your pet hasn't read yet, so that might help you a lot :) There's a separate one for Booktastic Books also.

Basically I'd fix all the glitches. Like, I'd bring Defenders of Neopia AND ITS AVVIES back, for example.

I'd also make it so those incredibly expensive stamps showed up on the market more. The was the system works is ridiculous. Once in a blue moon, Dr. Sloth puts one up for auction, and still so what? Only the uber-millionaires have a chance at it, and anyways only one single person ends up getting it. Sigh.

Fullonparanoid's nº1 would be indeed awesome!

I would

Basically I'd fix all the glitches. Like, I'd bring Defenders of Neopia AND ITS AVVIES back, for example.

Same! There's so much stuff that really needs to be fixed, such as the Battledome, and Habitarium. Then I would put a sent folder into Neomail, because it drives me absolutely crazy that there isn't one, as well as make it overall more accessible and user-friendly. Lastly I would just get to work on all of the tihngs, big and small, that the users want. I've heard a million different complaints about Neopets, most of which would be easy to fix. I would just try to get in touch with the users and have them submit what they think could be improved.

And I love fullonparanoid's of having an amalgamated main and side account!

Great ideas!

I'm especially down with the need for a SENT folder in Neomail. I have a HORRRRRRID memory and have run into troubles with trades because I cannot remember what or to whom I have sent offers/questions.

Now, I have an idea for TDNF as well....increase the daily quota of positive votes! :D

I have run out for the day but keep reading posts I want to give props to!

1.Neoboard moderators. The stupid filters just do more harm than they do help. We need actual humans to moderate the boards and deal with inappropriate posts.

2. I agree with nightfall8705's KeyQuest idea, get an AI to play with so you don't have to play with others if you don't want to, especially when there aren't as many online. I personally would rather play KQ against the computer and would like that option.

3. fullonparanoid's account idea is also good, too. Makes it easier at least.

YES to the "sent" folder. That would really help me keep track of things. and also a log of gifts that were accepted and by whom the were from.

LOVE the idea of organizing the SDB. It would be nice to separate my junk pile from my valuables.

I think it would be neat to have a history of your pet that's been zapped from the ray. To see all the color/species changes (even neater if you could pick one from the past and bring them back to the state o.o )

also removing paint brush clothes from your closet. For some people they take up a lot of room. If you could just move them to the SDB that could help a lot.

AND! MP that affect species and not color if the color is applicable to that species. Kind of the like mysterious swirly potion :p but with less chance involved

More awesome ideas!!

I like the gift log idea. A lot.

I would also like to see a running log of Random Events. I cannot begin to tell you how many times over the years I have wondered how I lost (or gained) an item or nps.

I'm lovin' the ideas, y'all...Keep 'em comin!

1) I would fix KQ glitches, and make it so there's SOME consolation prize if you're quit on -- maybe get to keep all your NP won, and a more valuable prize the longer the game went? I like the AI idea, especially because I know a lot of people have troubles with mini-games. You should be able to play mini-game free games, both AI and multiplayer. The only problem I see with AI is there would have to be difficulty levels, and some of the more experienced players could power through their 10 keys in an hour if they were on the easiest level.

Then again, KQ is my main source of income atm bc my account is so new, so I'm focused on that.

2) I LOVE the sorting idea, with folders for the SDB. Same with your shop stock, neomail, etc. This could maybe be a premium feature? I know on other sites I play, this organization is invaluable and a lot of players pay extra just for the organization.

3) dayday mentioned this, but fix all the small glitches and problems. I'm sure most members would be fine with waiting an extra month or two for new content if it meant their most annoying glitch being fixed. Especially things like the BD and Habi in which people spend a lot of their time.

1. I would fix the restocking system so that the rarer items appear more often. Unfortunately Neopets doesn't have as many players as it once did and all good items are appearing so infrequently that prices have skyrocketed.

2. Rather than these "events" that they have been doing I would do a big plot with both battledome and logic challenges.

3. I love the SDB idea of being able to sort!

Here are my first changes as Neopia's new ruler:

1. Main accounts and Side accounts are registered and joined. Once registered and joined, all Closets and SDBs can be accessed by each registered account. Also, registered Mains/Sides will have unlimited transfers of NC items (no boxes required) and Pets (that do not count against monthly pet transfers).

2. SDB's will be able to be sorted by custom, user created, folders. Myself, I would have Keep, Sell, Trade, Gift, Gallery, Advent Calendar, and Dailies as a few of my custom SDB folders.

3. I would prevent all items that are part of a Daily prize pool from re-stocking in Neopian Shops (for example, the Sand Bottles doled out by Tombola would no longer stock at the Tiki Tack). This would eliminate A LOT of the Shop clutter and would allow for more frequent restocks.

There are certainly other things I would do in quick order...but, for now, those are the first three things that come to mind. :D

What three things would YOU do first?

Joining all of your accounts is something that truly needs to be done. I find it really annoying to not be able to send the wearables that I've purchased with real money from one of my accounts to another one of my own accounts without gift boxes, it's ridiculous! I've payed money for them, so I deserve to be able to shuffle around my wearables as much as I want to, the same applies to the deluxe paint brush wearables I play hard to win/purchase with neopoints. The third idea is also great; waiting for the shops to restock is really tiresome, especially when having to compete with autorestockers the few times they do restock. :( They really have to do something with all the cheaters, it ruins the game for everyone else.

I personally would do number 2 on your list. Being able to create custom folders to organize our SDB would be amazing. Better organization of our closet would be great as well.

2. I would put pin security on everything! This would include our neodecks, our food club winnings, and anything whatsoever that could be stolen. That being said, I would also add a computer challenger to KQ (I really wish they'd do away with it in the first place) so that you don't have to play against others unless you want to. At least with the computer, if your computer craps out or something happens, you don't have to worry about being harassed by NM or reported by report happy jerks before even trying to understand the story. I've had NF lose their long time accounts over something happening in KQ, and that truly irks me that somebody can lose years and years of hard work over something as stupid and trivial as KQ.

Key Quest 1-player matches, all of my yes! I've yet to try out Key Quest because of how easily it seems to be to get into trouble. I don't want more worries in my life; I play Neopets to relax and have fun, not to have some obnoxious player ruin my game experience.

Some sort of cool, throwback events open only to certain years - for example, 12 year old accounts get a special plot that pulls an element from the site 12 years ago, or accounts ages 7-15 have some sort of cool event/plot/prize available. It'd really just be a fun way to bring back some old elements of the site that some of the more experienced players miss.

(number three is a bit blah, but I honestly had some trouble thinking of something really good)

I really like the idea of letting us players experience the old plots; with my badly timed hiatuses from the site I've managed to miss every single plot, with exception of the last two events. :( The only thing I don't agree with is making it only accessible for accounts that are ''x'' years old, that wouldn't really be fair in my opinion. Why not give all the players, both current and new a chance to experience the old plots/events and of course get a chance at obtaining the retired items that only was obtainable to the players that were around back then (or that only the extremely rich Neopians can purchase right now)?

Well, well, all you guys have pretty much already said most of the things I would do, but here are a list of my top 3 priorities as Neopets' new Overlord!:

1. Account merging. Having to switch accounts is really bothersome, so if they still want us to use five accounts they have to merge the inventory, SDB and closet space and allow us to access our 5 galleries from all of our accounts... and also allow us to shuffle around our pets from one account to another as much as we want to (only between our own accounts, of course).

2. Expanded pet slots. Having more pets is the same as more pets to customize/train/zap which equals to more real money spent on Fortune Cookies and wearables and the like. They can make the expanded pet slots a feature you can purchase from the NC Mall and/or win through site plots (I actually suggested this to them in that JumpStart survey).

3. More site supervision and content developers. They shouldn't continue to allow all the cheaters to ramp around freely on the site like they do now and they should also hurry up to start fixing all the bugs and become better at moderating. You shouldn't ban a player from the site just because they lost their internet connection in the middle of a Key Quest match. I've seen a small staff moderating, updating, developing new features, fixing issues and even develop and managing to maintain an automatic anti-cheating sentinel for a game they started working on their free time!!! TNT gets paid and JumpStart have money, so why do they not improve the site having all those resources? I just don't get it... . Oh, the laziness! If the problem is simply that they lack resources and/or aren't paid enough or even lack enough staff members, then JumpStart should provide them with all the stuff they need to make Neopets the glorious site we players know it could be!

Your nice Overlord signs off; may you loyal subjects (i.e. you, TNT) fulfill my orders soon or you'll feel my wrath! lol

This is a fun discussion! There are some really good ideas on here! My personal changes would be

1. Being able to delete paint brush items from our closets. There just isn't a big demand for things like Glowing Bruce Bowties, and being able to delete such items would not only lessen the clutter in our closets but free up some room on the server.

2. Mass conversion of all unconverted pets. I wish they had done this already - I don't care for the old style, and it's absurd to me how highly valued the UC pets are. To make it a bit fair to people who traded a lot to get UC pets, people would be given a week to decide if they want their UC pet converted into the same color or a different one whose paintbrush is valued 400k or less (example: someone could choose to turn their UC Rainbow Lenny into a converted Disco Lenny). If they haven't submitted their answer by the end of the week, their pet would automatically be converted into the same color it was painted.

3. I would add a new logic puzzle daily. I really enjoyed the last event, and I feel like there aren't enough puzzle options on the site, especially with Lenny Conundrum down.

1. i would LOVE nightfall's idea of a 1-player option for key quest. i hear it makes great money, but the multi-player aspect of it turns me off. playing random people has a chance of getting quitters and playing with friends makes you have to schedule times to play.

2. i'd get rid of the gift box aspect of the nc mall. i feel like it's rather enough to have spent money on the actual item without having to worry about acquiring a box just to trade it around. neocash is so much more convenient to buy online, but since that doesn't provide any gift boxes, it's a waste compared to buying physical cards.

3. i'd also get rid of that captcha in neopets shops where you have to click the neopet to buy (on the haggling screen). it doesn't stop autobuyers, and it just slows down real people so it's actually giving cheaters an advantage.

I personally will like to have the older version of Neopets back! Maybe not permanently, but as like a side site or something. I sometimes really miss the older version :( Especially the userlookups! I personally think userlookups looked way better then...I would love to see those again T-T

I would fix the glitches. And all the changes needed that are low priority now - for example the old Battledome stats that don't show in the new one and you can't get some avvies. Speaking of avvies, I'd make it possible for all of them to be obtainable somehow - I don't find it fair that people who were too young or just didn't know about the site before won't get in the top of the avvies' collector list just because they can't get the expired ones.

And most importantly - I'd make all requirement and info clear and visible. So nobody has to wonder if something is ok or not and has to search in forums and editorials, wonder about avvie requirements, plot rewards (what would you miss speaking of prizes, if you miss a day of the plot or don't do everything on the day of release etc.) Such things are most annoying for me :)

Couple more things the All-Mighty fullonparanoid would do:

Create a NC Trading Post so that NC trades could be better 'regulated'. It would provide a more transparent way to assess the value of items (just the NP Trading Post does...the values are set by the market because Buyers can see what the Sellers are asking in trade). It would also provide an easier record of trades for TNT to monitor. AND it would eliminate having to send umpteen boxes one at a time for the larger trades. Boxes could still be the 'unit of exchange', even if that is a pain in the rear in and of itself. Just seems like it would be an easier and safer way of dealing with NC Trades.

I'd also add a drop-down menu to the customization page. One that includes EVERY Paint Brush color each individual pet has ever been painted or morphed. Basically, each time you purchase a brush for a pet...or a pet is morphed a color by potion or ray...that color would ALWAYS be an option for THAT pet. It would just become another facet of customization. Yes, I know that that would wreak havoc on the Paint Brush economy, but, realistically they have (but for a very few) already dropped drastically in value over the past couple years. New brushes would still be pricey and sought after...but the older ones would likely all become Buyable in user Shops. If values dropped TOO much I (heh) could always decrease the number of brushes released into the economy.

Sorry for the length...the edit feature in my brain works poorly when I am tired. :D

Cheers!