Against or Not Against Fracking?

HomuraAkemiTheHero

Right now fracking is a big political issue in the area that I live in. For those who don't know what fracking check this link here http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-14432401. Personally I'm against fracking since it's bad for the environment and also it can cause health prblems for people who live near an area where fracking takes place.There has been fracking next to schools in states such as California and Colorado.Teachers have noticed that children got nosebleeds and seemed more tired when fracking was happening nearby the schools. Also the noise disrupts the classrooms making it harder for the kids to learn. I'm curious to see what other people's opinions on fracking are since there doesn't seem to be a debate on this yet.

Fracking is terrible in my opinion. It's happening in my area right now, and just the destruction of the environment alone is enough for me to be against it. The health hazards, too, are just terrible. There have already been a few gas leaks because of it, and the one pipeline is right next to a school. The people selling their land make next-to-nothing, so I don't understand why they think it's worth it. One of the biggest things I've heard in a positive light about it is that it creates jobs, but the only people who are employed (at least in my area) are people from out of state (by thousands of miles). It's just sad to watch the destruction of forest land (ESPECIALLY THAT OF NATIONAL/STATE PARKS PUSDIOJGPOISJ) that I've been around my whole life.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Kansas, and in case you haven't heard the news, the state to the south of me, Oklahoma, has had more earthquakes in the last four months than California has all year.

That's not normal.

We've experienced some rather large (4.0+ earthquakes) in Oklahoma and Kansas, and it's all due to fracking. My neighbors are even thinking of getting earthquake insurance, which is completely unheard of in Kansas. Tornados? Yes. Earthquakes? Are you kidding me?

And of course, Big Gas and Big Oil refuse to accept responsibility for any of their greediness and if a big earthquake does damage or destroy property, they won't pay up. They'll leave it to the little people like us.

There's absolutely no need to inject gallons upon gallons of water into the earth to draw up more of the limited resources we're burning through. We should be using that time and money to invest in alternative fuel sources and leave the rest of us alone. To be quite frank, I'm getting awfully tired of having to sit through earthquakes in Kansas. It's just unnatural.

• 2 weeks later...

Well oil's running out sometime, they need an alternative for gass driven vehicles :/ I just wished it would've been more invironmental friendly, like cars that drive on electronics, or some sort of magnet powering device.

Force anyone with an income higher than 1700 a month to get awning with a 50% discount. Go green! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep thinking your talking about the Battlestar Galactia term. Makes the post very inappropriate. :woot:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts on topic.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 9 months later...

Considering that my dad is in the fracking business, no, I don't see anything wrong with fracking. After reviewing everything his company prints out (manuals, etc..) there is no danger in fracking. Of course, there is the possibility that the pipe may break, but in my dad's company it hasn't happened at all.. so, you can take my word for it, fracking does nothing.

• 2 months later...

Then do you deny that fracking has environmental and health concerns? How do you refute the claims in articles such as this one (http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/health/case_studies/hydrofracking_w.html), outlining the dangers in fracking?

I think it's irresponsible to say "take my word for it, fracking does nothing," when there's so much we don't know about it and it's only been used for a couple dozen years. We used to use DDT before we realized how detrimental that was on the environment. 

Considering that my dad is in the fracking business, no, I don't see anything wrong with fracking. After reviewing everything his company prints out (manuals, etc..) there is no danger in fracking. Of course, there is the possibility that the pipe may break, but in my dad's company it hasn't happened at all.. so, you can take my word for it, fracking does nothing.

• 1 month later...

The UK government keep holding up the USA as a beacon of why we should be fracking. 
EVERY American I've spoken to (and not just my friends who may have the same opinion as me) say how many tremors and earthquakes they cause. 
As others have said, there's not enough evidence into what effect they have to the environment, land and air, and more money could be put into renewable energies (your wind, water and solar things).
Having said that people whinge when you stick a wind turbine in their back garden too, so there will always be people against everything.

Roll on nuclear fusion.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about it. But for the very few I have read... it does not sound like a good idea. Firstly there is evidence of danger to people health and to the environment... But there is also the tremors, this is not just that it bothers people, that must have some kind to impact to the Earth... And just because they don't know much about the effects, it does not mean there is none... In my opinion, knowing more about it, it will only increase the reasons why "not" to do it. Why do it?, because we will run out?, that will happen sooner or later, as people here said, instead of trying to last longer... look for a solution. Because it creates jobs?, I would imagine building solar panels and other methods of energy such wind power would generate jobs...

Yes, it would, but it wouldn't make money for the big oil companies...I really hope at least some of the oil companies are doing the sensible thing and funding sustainable energy development, so that they have a chance to make money from that once the oil's run out. Rather than clinging onto oil no matter what furture damage it causes getting it out of the ground.