My Tender Heart Strikes Again! :)

nightfall8705

But this time, I think I made a new friend!

I usually go to a soup kitchen during the weekdays to eat lunch with and help some of our town's youth and elderlies, and I don't have transportation at the moment due to my brother's car being in the shop, so a church van kindly picks me and some others up and transports us to the kitchen and back home again.

A young guy, I'd say early twenties maybe, came in, tired, with a backpack on his back. He got his plate and asked if he could sit with me and my friend John, and we said he could. He took off his cap and wiped his forehead and said he had heard around town about a soup kitchen and he was hungry, so he came to eat and get energy to take a long walk.

I asked him where he was going, and he said he was going to his brother's house in the next town over. Now, the distance from the soup kitchen to the next town alone was close to 11 miles (about 18km) and takes over 15 minutes to get there in a car.

Then I asked him why he was walking and he said he didn't know much about the town he was in but he didn't have a way to go other than walking. That yesterday, his girlfriend went behind his back with someone else and they separated and that he was going to his brother's house to stay because he had nowhere else to go.

It was already after noon, cloudy, and hot today, climbing in temperature. The high today is set to be over 90F (32C) for most of the day...

I felt really bad for him... he seemed like a person hard on his luck, and I didn't read anything bad about him energetically. I can usually tell an awful person the second I meet them.

After lunch, I told him that that girl was a loser because she just lost what could have been a good thing, and that everything has consequences, and that in the meantime he didn't need to let it get him down, that he didn't need another person to validate him in any way. To just keep his chin up and look toward the future, not his past.

He smiled and agreed with me. Nodded his head and said "I get what you're saying."

When he started to leave the kitchen, I told him to be careful, and he said thanks, and that he liked this soup kitchen and said he hopes to come back soon. I told him that would be fine and that we'd be waiting for him. When he started to walk off again, I guess a moment of conviction struck me, so I told him to wait.

I went back inside the kitchen and had a little chat with today's van driver. I personally asked her if we could at least let him ride the van, and get off at my apartment on the other side of town. It would save him at least a mile and a half of walking time in the heat. She said it was against the rules but said she wouldn't tell if I didn't.

And so, my new friend got a ride at least to my place, and a chance to rest some more in the cool air conditioner in the van. He told me thank you again and told the driver thank you, and said that I saved him a lot of trouble in the heat today and that he was grateful. Before he left again, he introduced himself as AJ, and I introduced myself too.

He said he would come back, and I said he could come back anytime. I told him again to be careful on his journey and watched him from my front door walking towards the next town until I couldn't see him anymore. I silently said a prayer for AJ's safety and a blessing on his way to the next town... I do hope he'll get where he needs to be safely, and that everything will work out for him for the better.

Maybe I'll see him again, maybe not.

But it just goes to show, that a little kindness could make the biggest difference to somebody. :)

Aww, thanks. I hope to see him again too. He seems to be a nice person. I do hope somebody had the heart to stop on the way to the next town and offer him a ride though. It was so hot out today that I couldn't stand out on the front porch for longer than a few minutes before sweating like a piggy! :oink: