When is a thread dead?

Novelista

I was recently reviewing the rules (yes, lil ole me!) and noticed that you could get in trouble for resurrecting old threads. Most places I've seen that say this usually specify how old is too old (two weeks, four weeks, etc.), but I didn't see any suggestion here.

What are best practices in this situation?

As long as the thread you're posting in is still relevant in some way, you won't get in trouble for making a reply after a couple months of inactivity. Anything more than a year is generally considered dead and should be left alone unless there's been some sort of update to said topic. But when it's been that long since someone replied, it's usually better to create a new thread entirely rather than bring up old conversations.

Let's say a question was posted in 2012, you decide to answer that question now, or want to chime in. Probably not the best to post on it anymore since 1) the original poster might not even be on the forums anymore and 2) they didn't post any follow up questions, there's no need to "answer" anything and it's best left alone.

If a thread's gone by a few months and you have something new to add, like a new release or it hasn't ever been brought up, it's still OK to post on.

We used to have a 21-day rule but that's been changed to allow new things to be posted on relevant threads. Anyway, if someone is unsure, a quick PM to one of the mods is no big deal and is always welcomed :)

Well, the games forum is a little looser with the guidelines (7-words, thread revival, to a reasonable point double posting) because posts in that forum don't count toward your total post count. They will still apply if someone is ruining the fun of a certain game :) You can find more info on it here