Insomnia, anyone?

Saxen

:P

Was just wondering the longest time you guys have stayed awake for. I've been up for 36 hours now, starting to feel a little fuzzy xD My longest is around 120 hours which was... interesting

120 hours? O.o

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please have at least seven words in your post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I used to work graveyard shift when I had just moved to California a few years ago, I worked from 10PM until 7AM the next morning, I lived with my boyfriend's family and since my room was right near the busiest room in the house (the kitchen), along with the fact that he has an extremely loud and easily excitable 3 year old brother, it goes without saying that I got very little sleep on a regular basis. Most of the time I ran on 2-4 hours of a sleep every day and energy shots, but one time, when I caught whatever common cold that was floating around at the time, the discomfort added with all of the hustle and bustle going on outside of my room had me awake for literally three days straight. It was probably the most miserable time I have experience in my life, and I didn't have anymore call outs left, so I was forced to go to work as well. Just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

120 hours?! That's insane! Was it just because of insomnia?

I usually sleep very well, very deeply, I fall asleep easily, never mind how noisy the surroundings are. It's just because of my job - lots of deadlines and every now and then I'm not ready in time so I have to work at night. So far the longest was a day, the night, the following day and next night up to the early morning so that's something like 40 hours. It was easier when I was younger though :)

120 hours? :whaa:

I've never really technically stayed up for hours straight - I'd slept a few hours in between all of it - but when I was coming back from Australia, I barely got any sleep on the plane and hardly any while I stayed at the hotel because it was too hot in the room for me to fall asleep, so I ended up staying up for... about 40 hours? Perhaps more.

I'm starting to think that 120 hours is a lot more serious than I previously thought now xD

I didn't sleep for a couple of days (sometimes I don't) then partied all weekend/into the next week. By the end of it I had to take sleeping pills cause I think my body had forgotten what sleep was, haha.

I've had sleeping problems all my life, and I have what looks like nightmare disorder so sometimes I'm afraid of going to sleep

I used to have moderate insomnia. I'd manage to sleep most nights, but only for a few hours. The longest I've stayed awake is probably in the neighborhood of 40 hours. These days I rarely have sleeping problems, though. I try pretty hard to keep my sleep regular, actually, because it messes with me if I don't. Some people can function fine pulling an all-nighter, and I could probably do it once in a blue moon, but if I'm not getting regular sleep for a while it's not pretty.

Whaaat?! I can't even imagine that. I have this talent where I can fall asleep anywhere, regardless of the surroundings. I like my sleep. I can hardly go for 12 hours without getting sleep, let alone ten times that at 120 xD

Wow! 120 is impressive. I'm the same way as jennybean...usually. In college there was one weekend a year where I'd go 46 hours without sleep on my feet the entire time. Our school has the largest student-run philanthropy in the US - a 46 hour dance marathon where students spend 46 on their feet as a show of support for children with pediatric cancer. I never danced myself, but I was always there in support :) Aside from willingly depriving myself from sleep for that I'm an old woman at heart haha

I suffer from insomnia (it runs in my family), but the longest I've gone without sleep is about 72-80 hours back in uni since I was pulling all nighters and struggling with a lot of mental health problems. It's gotten worse now, since I'm now stressing about job hunting and worried I won't be ever able to find one.... so I get about 3-5 hours and then I can't sleep for 2 days. It's a vicious cycle.

The longest I've gone without sleep was 36 hours....In general I sleep well but I do go into random bouts of insomnia.
I'm used to being functional on little sleep due to my school and work schedule so I tend to not be too effected by the lack of sleep when I go through those moments.

Guest Sabs

Wow, I really hope you'll get some rest soon! I'd be so miserable. lol I think the longest I've gone without sleep is probably 36 hours. That all started from school projects, and finals. x.x

LOL Saxen, I feel your pain on this one. It's been ALMOST 2 weeks since I last got to sleep before sunrise. Minus a 1 day fluke where I got to sleep somewhere before 5am. STILL don't know what's throwing me off. My longest STRAIGHT sleep, is 36 hours, virtually to the minute. Too bad it was a weekend. Last time I saw on my alarm, this was back when I was in high school, was 6:36pm Saturday night. Woke up at 6:36am on MONDAY, for school. I just about died went I found out I'd missed an ENTIRE day and talk about a rude awakening to have to go to school after such a sleep! LOL

My longest time awake was when I was in 5th grade. (I'm terrible with remembering exact years lol) Anyway, there was this farewell marathon of Mr. Ed episodes on the Nick at Nite network. (Nickelodeon's night time programming back then), and being a fan of horses, especially the ones that TALK, I watched pretty much every episode. Because it went from dusk to dawn, I didn't get any sleep starting on Monday, and ending Friday morning. ALTHOUGH, I DID nap for 5 minutes on Friday morning, from 5:50am to 5:55am. So that's 5 days straight, while I was in 5th grade for 5 minutes. That's a LOT of 5s! LOL I'm not even sure how many hours that is off-hand, too tired to do the math right now. ;) LOL And yes, I still attended school every day and while I didn't remember MUCH from that week, I didn't sleep in class either. LOL

Fun side-note, the guy who played Mr. Ed's owner in the series, which was in Black and White, was Alan Young, also did the voice of Disney's Scrooge McDuck. Found a neat website with some interesting media from his years in acting and voice-acting.

http://www.mister-ed.tv/ And his IMDB page. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0949241/

Just thought those would be fun. ;)

I hope you can get some sleep soon Saxen! Insomnia is certainly not any FUN. :-\

Saxen that is very impressive. My longest is five days, i was....partying.... Everything was definitely weird.

Kept seeing many squiggles everytime i looked anywwhere.

I have vowed to never party for more than 3 days now because of that experience...... lol!!!

But i also am a different creature, i only need 4 hours of sleep and i can bust my butt all day!! when i get more, it's like woooow overload.

8 days.

I'm not kidding.

This was me when I was in culinary school. Around 4 days in I had to drink red bull every day just to function properly :P Not that I didn't try to sleep, I did, but I'd lie awake the entire night and not fall asleep at all, so come morning I'd still have had no sleep. My friends can't forget it. After about 6 days they couldn't talk to me anymore an I looked like a freakin zombie. I literally had to drink 2 bottles of vodka to pass out into some form of sleep. It's gotten better ever since. Now I normally get around 6-ish hours if I'm lucky, but normally about 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, until my brain decides it's time to wake up and be semi-functional again.

I don't like sleeping pills because I don't want to be reliant on medication, so sometimes I'll lie awake half the night until I drift off, then before I know it, time to be up again, haha.

I'm almost the same as you Saxen, kinda creepy actually... I don't have the nightmare issue, I did when I was younger (I had a VERY mean overnight babysitter). However as I got older, I either deal with most of my dreams (mostly the nightmares), or control them (the better off ones, if I have them).

Just the other day marked the 4th day I was awake (I have slept <.<), but the longest time I was awake for was about 10 days (240 hours x_@). Any longer than that and it's just total system failure for just about anyone. Kidneys and liver will start going "\o.O/ WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MEEEE??!?!?" *sleep*

Longest I've slept would be about 52 hours.

I'm either up for long periods of time, or sleeping like I haven't in weeks. My body doesn't know what it wants, or I'm just not listening properly. Most likely the latter.

I haven't ever been up with NO sleep whatsoever for longer than maybe 2 days or so, but I did spend a pretty miserable couple weeks last summer with VERY minimal sleep. I was having horrible asthma (and as it turns out now, some heart problems) that prevented me from sleeping any more than half an hour to an hour or two a night, if at all, and whatever sleep I got was very disrupted. The asthma caused it, and the lack of sleep made the asthma worse, and the asthma being worse made the sleep worse, and... you get the idea. Towards the end of this ordeal I also had the joyful experience of finding out what a migraine is like on top of all that. If I thought a migraine was bad before that, I know now just HOW bad it can be.

o_O

I also discovered how very little time it takes to lose weight and muscle mass if you don't eat much and hardly ever get up, let alone exercise.

I eventually got out of this nasty cycle with heavy duty sleep meds. Not keen to repeat that experience again.

146 hours. I was about ready to climb the walls by then. I was seeing things and I'm lucky I didn't go totally nuts.

Sleep meds don't work on me, but I found out that diphenhydromine (Gravol) does. I was addicted to it and literally couldn't sleep without it. After going through more than a year and a half of taking the stuff every single night, just so I could sleep, I decided that enough was enough. I stopped "cold turkey". It took 146 hours to break the habit and finally get to sleep naturally.

Nowadays, my doctor says she'll personally come to my house with a fish bonker if I try more than 50 hours without sleep. Heart condition. Guess how I got a weak heart? 146 hours of not sleeping. So... be careful and at the very least: lie down and relax. Try to get to that mental zen thing where you stop thinking and you just "float". It doesn't guarantee to keep you safe from permanent damage, but it will help protect you. If you ask your doctor and he/she says I'm full of it, tell them to come and check me out themselves and they'll find out that it's no joke. Sleep is a serious matter. People need it to survive and stay sane.

Take care of yourself, Saxen. Please. Everyone else, too. Or you'll end up in a bad place when you get older. Trust me.

Your 120 hours (Saexen) and your 8 days (Rune) probably contained some seconds/minutes of micro-sleeping (when you doze off for a few moments without realizing it). Especially because the longest someone has managed to stay TOTALLY awake before dying (yes, sleep deprivation can kill) was 11 days, as you can read from this Huffington Post quote:

"The absolute longest anyone has voluntarily stayed awake before nodding off is 264 hours (about 11 days) — a record set by 17-year-old Randy Gardner for a high-school science fair project in 1965. Before falling asleep on day 11, he was essentially a vegetable with its eyes open. "

You can check the link here. I also learned the same thing from House MD :D

Anyways, I've had trouble sleeping for quite some years now. I'd usually lay in bed at 10:00 pm, but I'd only really fall asleep at 4:00 am, which was horrible! Especially because I had to wake up for University at 6:00 am. I still have some medicine for insomnia, but it sucks because they either do not work at all or are way too strong and make me sleep like 14 hours without interruption...

• Duma locked this topic