Altador Cup?

Nerdygamergirl

The Altador Cup is an annual sporting event which takes place in Altador Colosseum (hence the name)

Players get to choose a team out of 18 teams that represent all Neopian lands , and they compete in 3 games : the main event is Yooyuball (sort of like soccer) ... and two supporting events : Make Some Noise (where you play a Techo and have to yell out loud cheering for your team) and Slushie Slinger (where you play a waitress and you have to serve thirsty fans)

Each team has 5 Yooyuball players (a Yooyu is a petpet that can also double as a ball since it can roll upon itself) : a goalkeeper and 4 field players (defenders and attackers) and it's played just like soccer : a field with 2 nets. The team that scores more goals win.

Teams are paired up in brackets and every day your team will face another team from the same bracket .. the Cup goes on until all the teams have played each other

Each day team gets points based on how many wins / loses they have in the 3 events and the team with most points in the end of the Altador Cup wins

Players get to level up based on how many games they play ... the ultimate level is 20 and is called All Star .. some people put in crazy amounts of time playing the Altador Cup until they reach All Star and some even achieve double All Star. Based on your level .. you get points that you can spend in the Altador Cup prize shop when it's all over

'The Altador Cup is a tournament that takes place on Neopets every summer. After a thousand year hiatus, the Altador Cup was released again in 2006. During this organized sporting tournament, teams of 5 players coming from every Neopian world are facing each other at Yooyuball in hopes to win the cup and the champion title that goes with it.

You might be wondering who is in charge of the organization of such an important event across Neopia. The whole Altador Cup is organized and supervised by the Altador Cup Committee who are ensuring that rules are followed during all matches.

committee_2.gif
The Altador Cup Committee

The Committee has decided to introduce a new tournament style this year. Instead of the Double Round Robin format of past years, there will now be a rotating bracket system. The 18 teams will be randomly sorted into three brackets of six teams each, and they will play the teams within their bracket for a total of six days. (Consequently, each team will end up playing one of the teams in their bracket twice.) At the end of the six days, points will be awarded based on the teams' standings in their bracket. The brackets will then be randomly shuffled, and this will repeat for a total of four rounds, resulting in 24 days of solid gameplay. If two or more teams have an equal number of points at the end of the tournament, the tied teams will play a tie-breaker round to determine final standings.'

Simple search at thedailyneopets.com -> http://thedailyneopets.com/altador-cup/about

Wow, thanks for all of the info! Any advice on the best/most popular team to pick?

JellyNeo is writing excellent reviews and also predictions for each team. It's really, really useful, because they take into consideration past podium positions, how big the fan base is, and also the matter of the All-Star Groups (ASGs for short, these are Neopets players that specialize on playing A LOT and getting the top scores) aaaand the cheating programmes users.

I really think it will help you pick a team! You can read it here :)

Oooo I really wanted to join HW this year for my first real try at the AC but I'm really not feeling the colors (though I really like their cuffs.) I kinda wish Krawk Island wasn't such a heavy hitter, because I really prefer their colors and shield. I also really like Terror Mountain. I'm not going to be a big help either way so maybe I'll flip a coin?

I'm assuming the sign ups are on a timer? Does anyone know how long you have to choose?

You could just choose to join Krawk Island right now and call it a day ;)

In all seriousness, I agree with leverhelven that Jellyneo's coverage is worth checking out, if you're interested in who's likely to win (and who isn't?!)! But it might also be fun to just read all of the team and character bios to see if something just clicks with you :) I'm just a little biased because Krawk Island has been my team since the first Altador Cup :) Regardless of who you choose, it'll be a really fun time!

(Also, I'm still missing Dasher Soley :sad01_anim: He was my favorite. Ever. But I like the swap with Coco Metrone this year. She looks cool in her pirate uniform :D)

The prizes shop is identical for winners and losers. But honestly, anyone who plays a couple of games is already a winner in my heart.

Things to know about the Altador Cup:

It's not 3 games like Angelo said, but FOUR : Yooyuball, Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise and Shoutout Showdown.

You can play them above the "send 3 scores for NP" limit. (301 YYB, 301 SS, 1201 MSN and 1201 SoSD)

And really if you want to get good prizes, you should play as much as you can, and it takes about 2 hours a day of play time to reach the All-Star rank in the end.

It's more fun to play when you hang out and make friends on your team. They will help you to stay motivated.

I'm just going to stress again that this tournament is about grinding. The repetivity of it takes out most of the fun.

That being said, good luck everyone. And GO MARAQUA!

Do you get something extra special if your team wins or do the prizes only really relate to your individual contribution??

(I'm gonna have to go for Roo Island woohoo)

The Rooligans have a great fan base: they're fun, good sports, awesome team cheerleaders, and they keep on trying when the chips are down (we got the first win in a game against one of the cheating groups last year, inspiring other teams to actually try against them vs. just taking a break for a day). I've been a Rooligan for all but 2 cups.

You do get a different trophy on your look-up based on your team placement. The trophy has two parts: the color based on the team (anything past 3rd gets a wooden trophy, with gold/silver/bronze for podium) and the rank (which shows how much you did for your team -- the top rank is All Star). You can click on someone's trophy and see exactly what they did in each game (how many wins, YYB goals, etc.). It's impossible to predict which team will win at the beginning, so I think it's better to pick a team you like, and focus on what you can control -- your rank (though obviously you and your team can motivate each other to beat your opponents).

Making All Star doesn't mean you're eligible for the top prizes in the prize shop; some people make double- or triple- All Star (not recognized by TNT, but they play twice/thrice as many games as needed for All Star). Both JellyNeo and TDN have rank calculators on their AC pages, so you can see how many games it would take you to reach a particular rank. (Different games count more than others. 1 YYB = 2 SS = 12 MSN = 12 SOSD, and you can mix-and-match to reach the rank, so if you were 1 YYB game away, you could also reach it by playing 1 SS + 3 MSN + 3.SOSD, for example.) I recommend playing practice games as soon as you're able (once sign-ups start); YYB in particular is a bit tricky to get the hang of. And then based on the practice games, set a goal for yourself for a certain amount of each game each day, then see what rank that would get you by the end. If you want a higher rank, increase your daily goal accordingly.

One other important thing: you do need a certain minimum score in each game for it to count for your rank, but higher scores help the team more. I don't remember the numbers offhand; I think SS is 300-something, MSN around 3000, and SOSD is one goal (YYB is a win or a draw, though draws only count as half-games). Someone else can post the exact numbers, but most of them aren't too high. You just need to stay above the minimum, or you'll see your game counts increasing but not your rank.

It's not 3 games like Angelo said, but FOUR : Yooyuball, Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise and Shoutout Showdown.

how did i forget about SoS :( in my defence I was half asleep :P

Shoutout Showdown is a penalty shooting game where you have to score 5 goals against the Chia goalkeeper

BTW , there's a minimum score you have to achieve in each game or your effort won't count towards your team's collective effort

Slushie Slinger - 285

Make Some Noise - 3000

Shootout Showdown - 35

Yooyuball - 1 goal

These scores are the minimum that will count toward your contribution to your team, meaning you need to get these scores or higher to win 1 game and add toward your team's standing :)