Ready, Set, JumpStart

Xepha

After almost 9 years, Neopets is leaving Nickelodeon Games to be part of another studio called JumpStart. This company is known for their kid games (JumpStart, Math Blaster.) They have also produced games based on DreamWorks Animations movies How To Train Your Dragon and Madagascar. JumpStart is experienced with multiplayer online games and mobile technology. Read more about Neopets and JumpStart in their FAQ.

To celebrate this important move, chances of random events happening on Neopets have been increased for the upcoming week. (Time to play those non-flash games everyone!) When you visit the news page, you will also receive 2 plushies and 150 NC.

plu_friendlygelert.gifplu_cheerfulkiko.gifnc-prize-bag.gif

What do you all think of this news? Is Jumpstart the best or the worst thing that could happen with Neopets right now? Discuss!

I loved JumpStart stuff when I was a kid, and I think they'll do good things with Neopets. Change is interesting to see, and I think whatever comes next will be great.

Aside from that, free NC is always exciting.

Hopefully JumpStart will fix all the issues I've been coming across on Neopets. Especially the long ticket timings and unfair freezings I hear so much about. Above all, I hope they have a better community engagement that the current team. To Neopets getting better!

Well, snarkie posted on a thread on the NC board stating "Jumpstart was interested in Neo because the audience is older."

I know, on the boards it seems a lot of people are really worried.

Jumpstart has a background based on being fun yet educational for kids, so many were worried that Neopets might turn into something like PBS Kids.

Which, I'l admit, I'm also kinda worried.

However, I vaguely see how this can have a major downfall. Nickelodeon's hasn't really been doing anything with Neo, so maybe this will be a change for the better.

Especially being that snarkie said they're interested in Neo because the users are older, they must be willing to make changes and upgrades for an older audience and proceed out of their comfort zone with children and child based games and activities.

Plus, I got 2 new plushies and 150NC for free if all else fails *kidding*

But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

At first, I cringed when I saw this, since I knew JumpStart from when I was in elementary school a loooooong time ago and knew them only for their little kid stuff. I was afraid that being sold to JumpStart would mean more "kiddie-fication" of the site.

But after doing a little research, I'm not as pessimistic. After all, JumpStart doesn't just do little kid's stuff. They also do animation and games for stuff like DreamWorks and the NFL. I'm going to wait and see what happens here. I guess as long as it doesn't mean no more plots or Battledome or more "risque" content and it's not a last resort type of thing, I'm fine with this.

And seriously, anyone has to be better than Viacom/Nickelodeon.

Jumpstart?? i think neopets may go down the drain..i mean..i hardly see anyone under 14 play xD and I know a LOT of 20+ olds....like myself.. the filters may be even more of a problem.. :( and little kids probably wont buy NC xD guess we'll see how it goes!!

One of the reasons Jumpstart purchased Neopets was because of the 20+ year old userbase ;)

Exciting news and by the sounds of things, this company is interested in us lifers - plus free stuff. Always stick it to the man!!!!!

I raise a cup of borovan to you, TNT. Cheers to all of you ! I'm excited to be apart of your upcoming endeavors.

I'm excited! Like everyone else, upon first reading the news I was concerned that their demographic might shift drastically to exclude us older crowd. But instead of assuming I read up here and there and so far it sounds like great progress for Neo! And I don't think it will eliminate us as a target audience either. They did careful research before buying Neo and investigated who is tied up in the game and who will benefit from what. They have a plan!

Plus who can argue with free stuff? (:

Oh wow this is really surprising news :O

I just hope that this new company doesn't throw neo down the drain :( One of the things that I love about neopets is that its great for all ages. and hope this continues.

I thought the spongebob Kiko plushie was super cute :wub_anim: does anyone know who the Gelert is supposed to be?

Okay, so can sides accept the free 150 NC? And also, I think this switch will not be beneficial. Most players on this site are older, and this seems to be company aimed at a younger generation. My fear is that they will increase regulation on this site.

The company was interested in acquiring Neopets because of their older fan base :)

And also, I think this switch will not be beneficial. Most players on this site are older, and this seems to be company aimed at a younger generation. My fear is that they will increase regulation on this site.

Guys, guys, snarkie already said that JumpStart was interested in Neopets because of their older audience. It also makes perfect sense by the way: adults have their own credit cards and can buy NC without having to beg their parents for it :P

Here's the screenie, taken from JellyNeo's news page:

snarkie_jumpstart.png

You are correct; Free NP items can't be claimed on sides.

Except, nah. Go ahead. It's a special day so we're gonna allow it this time. smiley.gif Pass it around! We'll add an FAQ in a bit.

From Snarkie again. So feel free and safe to collect the freebies on all your side accounts.

that sounds AWESOME!!

i dont know jumpstart but anything is better than viacom ... the plushies look cute and it's nice to have cross overs with other cartoons / characters :)

I don't know what to think, good or bad. But it certainly stalled my brain!

Also, I noticed the popups have been dislodged. I wanted to feed one of my pets and there's no submit button. (Or much of anything else...)

I really don't know what to think. Honestly, I have a very bad feeling about this. The last thing Neopets needs into turn into stuff for five year old girls. I played when I was a young girl and now I'm almost 21 and I love not only the websites, but I love my pets.

If Neopets were to go out of business I don't know what I would do.

I've never heard of this company! But I am Canadian, so perhaps that is why? Anyway, I'm not sure what to think. It's actually REALLY exciting, because there might be BIG changes! And they might be good! It can also go the other way. But, if they purchased Neopets for an older audience, then they should be good to cater to us! :DD So I'm excited and optimistic!

I have faith in JumpStart taking over for Viacom/Nickelodeon. I didn't really like the way Nick was doing things, so this should be a nice change. Plus, I remember JumpStart from when I was a kid and I LOVED their games! And I know that lots of people are afraid of JumpStart "kiddifying" Neopets, but I don't think they'll do that. For one, us users wouldn't like it and it would most likely drive us away and would probably be a downfall for JumpStart because their number of users would dramatically decrease. Also, like many people above me have said, Snarkie specifically said that JumpStart bought Neopets because the users were older. Am I worried at all? Yeah, maybe a little, but for the most part I'm pretty optimistic about it.