Art and Animations

Aquamentis12

Thanks Duma! LOL With the right music and sounds? I can totally see it! XD  Kinda reminded me of this Halloween thing I did awhile back!

But ON to the new Christmas pic! So, I got this sketched out before Christmas, but I wasn't able to get it all colored, especially the lights, before Christmas. On top of that, it took a few days to figure out what to do with the lights, and how to order the layers and what order to display and hide the layers to change their intensity.

This is half-size of the full frame-size. I ran this through animation shop and the program couldn't handle the optimizing the frames as gifs at the full 3300x2550 pixels. LOL

Anyway, in total, it's 18 frames on a loop.

tumblr_plb0n2R5O41sh1duso1_1280.gif

Wow, can't even think of how much work 18 layers must have been. But it really looks as if the lights are dimming and getting bright again. You did a great job there!

8 hours ago, Duma said:

Wow, can't even think of how much work 18 layers must have been. But it really looks as if the lights are dimming and getting bright again. You did a great job there!

Actually, the image is 44 layers. lol I made 18 frames from this. I actually had to make a quick little Notepad file to help me keep the order to make the layers visible/invisible straight. LOL
Here is a pic of some of the layer-list. The red and yellow giant parenthesis show which layers are the layers that I had to change for each new frame. It doesn't show ALL the layers. lol And some layers, are back-ups (In case I screwed up) and will remain invisible. LOL

727e7420-01ee-42e7-b002-c77738d4084e-ori

Thanks! lol I found out the hard way that PSP6 has a layer limit of 100. With many of the projects I've started/done that have some element of motion to them, I usually work with one main file and put the different positions in different layers, like with the Unlucky Reindeer. However, reaching the limit makes things a bit trickier. ? Case-in-point, the only pic I hit the 100 layer limit on and had to figure a different way to finish.

I call this one, The Witching Hour. I ran out of layers with about 13 more positions needed for the Witch flying across the sky. So I deleted a couple witchy-layers. Then I made a line that stretched the entire length of her flight across the sky. Like a plane needs to file a flight-plan before take-off, you might say, and then I put markings on the line so I could place the witch graphic into proper place going forward. That line was on 1 Layer. So when I was to the point with the layers with one position for witch's flight ran out. I made visible, the layer with the line and markings, and then on the layer above it, I moved the witch forward and up to fit within the markings. That's how I kept her flying straight, and got away with using 100 layers for a single image. This pic I started back in 2004, as you can see by the watermark, it was about 12 years before I got around to finishing it. All mouse-drawn. Except for the text of course. LOL Used the text-tool for that. ? Originally I wanted to make this an animated wallpaper. 800x600 pixels was a more common screen resolution when I started this, but now, since Windows has seemingly stopped supporting animated gif files as backgrounds, or even running them when using the preview function to display them, that ideas dashed. But it was still GOOD to finish this! LOL And it was neat trying to come up with different famous "movie-monsters" to appear in here. lol I THINK the wolfman is my favorite animated portion. His pixelated transformation at the top of the bluff as he looks up at the moon. Man that was tricky! but OH-SO worth the effort! :D

tumblr_ofujo9SKlK1sh1duso1_1280.gif

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you! I've just recently started working on a new project, should take me close to a year, given past projects similar in scale. 😉 Plus it's a personal project, so I'm soloing it, as usual. lol It's a great way to learn though, and challenge myself to think, try, and hopefully discover new things I haven't thought of, or done, before.

• 11 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 7:54 AM, winstonlukasio said:

I want to try to make a cartoon using plasticine. has anyone tried and can give some advice on this? 

LOL And here I thought someone had decided to comment on my posts here. lol

That's interesting, though you should probably make a new topic, more people would see your question then.
Anyway, I've never heard that term for modeling clay now, and didn't know it for that until I ran a search for it. XD
https://www.homequestionsanswered.com/what-is-plasticine.htm

That being said, I've never done that type of animation. But, I know a tiny bit about it.

Besides the net in general, you should check out youtube too. Terms that should prove useful to your searching would be "Stop motion animation", "Claymation" and probably "Green screen techniques". Or variations of those terms.  If you don't know about green-screens. You don't need an actual studio for them. I've seen advertisements for personal-sized green-screens for youtubers and at home puppeteers. Great for adding backgrounds, both still and moving videos. Looking up different types of camera rigs might be useful too. Hmmm... What social media platforms are you on? If you have Facebook, for example, there are plenty of groups for various things. I don't belong to any groups there for stop-motion though. But I am sure there are some.

Also, studying stop-motion animations would also be useful Especially if you can find some behind-the-scenes videos for them. There was an old series called Gumby, that had character of very basic colors that were simple yet effective for storytelling, especially for children. Let's see, it wasn't modeling clay, but the Rankin:Bass production company made many classic Christmas stop-motion animations with models and things. You may be familiar with some of them. Kubo and the Two Strings was a fairly recent stop motion movie. A stop-motion series on Cartoon Network called Robot Chicken, combines action figures with some clay for reaction effects. And there are others.

But those should give you a decent start on what to search for.

Good luck!

EDIT: Hey @winstonlukasio, I just happened to see an ad for this Green-screen setup and app. There is a video embedded in the page that talks about the myteleplay app and such, so that should give you a starting point for research on green-screening for your stop-motion/claymation endeavors! Good luck!

https://try.myteleplay.com/teleplay-kit?fbclid=IwAR0WyCeUn5Ov0VZ-3khc--yG0ZuiWNy156UVWKsQNAfelsfSuvlNFu8cfA8

Edited by Aquamentis12
Additional info added.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

great job, tnx for the inspiration. I'm a photographer and I try to follow pro photographers to improve my skills and get some inspiration. Recently I found many wallet images for my website. it is very convy. There are thousands of photos on every taste and I can download any image for my projects. All pictures are available under a royalty-free license. Useful site.

• 8 months later...

So, it's been quite awhile since I shared anything new. So here are some of the redraws that I did most recently.

Prettz vs. Valkus, from the OVA Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. Then there's Skeletor from the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Lastly, a fun scene from the anime, Fullmetal Alchemist. A scene from their trip to Rush Valley. Where Ed has to be held back for a short-joke insult, until the insulter insults Ed's automail, which Winry, the girl, made. So she gets angry and tells Ed's brother, Alphonse, to let him go. lol

PrettzVsValkus-WRef-WM.png

Skeletor-WRef-WM.png

FMA-LetGoOfYourBrother-W-Ref-WM.png

• 2 months later...

So, I thought I'd share my latest animation. A manticore that is based on a bit of writing that a friend of mine did. It's part 1 of what should be several more sequences though. This sequence is 12 frames, and my first time trying to animate a manticore. I'm using 6"x8" index cards because otherwise I'd run out of sketchbook pages too quickly. lol I'm HOPING to get started on the next part soon, maybe after Christmas, possibly New year's too. Not sure yet. Still looking for some references on Lion movements, especially when they are running, at different angles. XD Anyway, hope you guys enjoy this gif. 🙂

ManticoreRoar-1-12-Colored-Transparent-WM.gif