black dot in vision... :/

Alishkah

So, over the last week I've noticed a dot in my vision. It seems to only be in my right eye.
It's small and I can still see and everything but it's rather annoying and I can see it even when I'm walking around outside and it's distracting.

I'm pretty worried, I'll admit I've done google searches haha. But just wondering if anyone else has had something similar?
A friend said it might just be a floater but I rinsed my eye and it's still there... :/

Any ideas?

I haven't had this or heard of it, but I would say the best thing to do is go see a doctor. That's not really something you would want to mess around with.

I'd make an appointment with your optometrist as soon as you can. It might not be anything to be worried about, but it's best to have a professional check and be sure.

Definitely see a doctor. A friend of mine woke up with a black spot in his vision once and it turned out to be a pretty harsh disease. He's blind now (the spot grew). So long the spot stays the same size, you'll be alright. Make sure to take care.

PS: Please don't be frightened by this post. You may as well have something entirely different.

Go see an optometrist, for sure. You don`t want to mess around with your sight, and a lot of different problems can impact your sight in various ways, and your optomestrist can be the first one to pin point a disease/whatever that you never knew you had.

Hopefully it's nothing, but you should go check for sure.

And don't google it- trust me, you'll just end up scaring yourself!

• 6 months later...

I am anemic, and when my iron level is too low I see black spots. I try to remember to take my iron & vitamins everyday.

I had a blood test done when I went to the doctors for a physical, and they told me my iron was low, and the iron pills are in the vitamin section.

Also an eye doctor would be very helpful.

Be careful what you google, you'll just scare yourself and worry

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump old topics that are no longer relevant. If the original poster wants to update this thread, they can send me a Private Message.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.

Actually, my Dad has that exact same thing. When he's reading, it floats right in to his vision. He talked to his doctor about it, and it's a tiny floater.

Chances are, it's only a little floater. All a floater is is one or more dead cells that somehow ended up in the fluid that coats your eye, and sometimes they go away, other times your optometrist can get it out. Either way, it's nothing to be really worried about if that's the case. Yeah, they can be annoying, especially when they float past when you're trying to study something through a microscope ( ugh xD ), but, they're normal. If you're really worried about it, for sure, see your optometrist.

Ok, first of all I'd strongly suggest not seeing an "Optometrist". While they are trained to a degree in certain eye conditions, they are not physicians, they don't go to medical school. You want to see an "ophthalmologist", whom is an actual doctor with all the medical training. An ophthalmologist has far broader training, able to treat a variety of conditions. I know this is a common mistake but it is one that you could pay dearly for.

​I assume you are seeking medical care in Australia, then you certainly should have the need health care coverage to see an ophthalmologist, and not just a grad from Melbourne.

On a more positive note, most small and non-recurring spots are small amounts of debris that can form in various locations in the eye. You'll really help your doctor if you will document when and what you were doing prior to onset. Since I did no residency(I did 2/3 of my course work for my Biomedical Engineering degrees in medical school but I am no more a doctor than an optometrist), I have no balance in my concerns for your health. There are a myriad of truly scary conditions that will produce spots, you certainly have one of the minor and benign ones, so I am almost certainly overly concerned for your vision.

However, the old man in me has to wonder why you're asking medical advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet. Sight is a wonderful thing, you need to do the very best you can do for yours, to see a thousand more sunsets and sunrises.

You guys do realize the original post is from February, right? The OP has probably either received a diagnosis or had the condition clear on its own by now.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not backseat moderate. You may report a post at it's bottom left and a moderator will take care of the problem.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.